Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Completely OT: Food

_Sweet Willie_

These are some of my favorite spots around the city. Not as highy touted as restaurants like Nobu, or Daniel, but these are a must on any visit to New York.

Papaya King

The Zagat dining guide has called Papaya King the best, stand-up lunch in the cityand a must-visit highlight of any trip to New York City. Critic Ed Levine of New York Eats calls it the best hot dog in the world.

Di Fara Pizza

Some say the best pizza in the city. It's a bit out of the way and hard to find in Brooklyn, but definitely worth the trip.

Masa

If your looking for sushi, this is the place. Some say it's the best Japanese restaurant in America. I have never eaten there, mainly due its outrageous prices, but they say its worth it.

Now you know my three favorite foods, hot dogs, pizza and sushi :)

-Anthony

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil,

Which end of Oxford Street is 25? Do the numbers start at the East end? I've never noticed Inn Noodle before. Might just go there this lunchtime!

I like to think I've travelled a bit but Phil you sound like you're in and out of LA like a pro :)

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Well LA is kind of a second home now - despite its grey sprawling ugliness and bizarre, damaged, wanabee inhabitants (not all of them - I hasten to ad!)

Davo, it's right by Tottenham Court Road tube station at the scuzzy east end of Oxford Street. I presumed it was a tacky tourist trap like most of the places on OS.

Garlic, peppers and onions in a pan with olive oil, add just about anything, or nothing, pure heaven.

Maybe add some nice italian sausage. Put on a hero.....can eat that every night :)

You could call it 'Sausage & Peppers'. Who knows? It could catch on. :D

You're right, though. If made well that never gets old.

Push the button Frank.

Garlic, peppers and onions in a pan with olive oil, add just about anything, or nothing, pure heaven.

Maybe add some nice italian sausage. Put on a hero.....can eat that every night :)

You could call it 'Sausage & Peppers'. Who knows? It could catch on. :D

You're right, though. If made well that never gets old.

Lets see

Breakfast - Add eggs or better yet fried potatos (homefries w/skins) and eggs. Add some peperika to the potatos hold the garlic to the end.

Morning snack - Just soak up the stuff with some good italian bread

Lunch - yes, with good Italian sausage and perhaps a splash of marinara sauce.

snack - with Philly cheese steak. Wrap in a large tortillia if it's a bit much.

Dinner - with some sliced steak and or chicken, throw over rice or in a tortillia, fijita style (that's fa-ji-ta). You can heat up the types of peppers on this one and add some pepperjack cheese.

Late night snack - lick the pan

..man I'm hungry

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Had me some Turkish cuisine for the first time last night and I must say I was suprised. Good meats and lots of breads and the deserts were awesome!!

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

It's 2:15am, it's time for my favorite late night snack...

Peanutbutter and jelly (grape 70%, strawberry 30%) on white bread...yes

Other combinations with peanutbutter on white:

-sliced bananas (Elvis liked his bananas smashed, and the whole sandwich was heated in a skillet)

-Fluff (marshmellowy goodness)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b1/Fluffernutter_before.jpg/180px-Fluffernutter_before.jpg

-Nutella

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/af/Nutella-1.png/240px-Nutella-1.png

Time to snack... :)

Nutella is best served on a spoon, you don't need to complicate good things. The later at night the better it tastes, trust me it's a warewolf thing.

Pizza, it's whats for breakfast. Cold, heated in the toaster oven, your choice. Given my posts above I don't have to tell you what my favorite toppings are.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Nutella is best served on a spoon, you don't need to complicate good things.

Yup :thu:

Pizza, it's whats for breakfast.

Reminds me of lunch yesterday. The wife made home-made Bar-B-Que Chicken Pizza topped with smoked Gouda cheese! YUMMY!

Love God...Love People!

Hmmm....Nutella....There's not very many people on this side of the pond who know what that stuff is. Me? My mother grew up in Germany, so I'm well acquainted with the stuff. On a related German note, we used to get this onion liverwurst from a German butcher in Yonkers that was just outrageous. Not like that Oscar-Meyer liverwurst crap at the deli counter these days.

Oh God....Fluff! Odd story about Fluffernutter ('Zat how it's spelled?) that had a great effect on me. Back in about 1980 I was hitch hiking from Oswego to Utica, NY. I got picked up by an older couple at the thruway stop in Syracuse. It was snowing. They had just been to visit their son in Attica, a notorious New York State prison. I didn't ask why he was doing time, but this older couple (well, they seemed old at the time, but were probably pretty close to my current age; they just looked sort of...of...tired, as if life had just treated them hard.) was of course, very sad on their drive home. They had brought a jar of Fluffernutter (Fluff mixed with peanut butter? Or was it two separate jars? I don't remember.) to give to their son, as it was one of his favorites (Favourites for those across the pond!!). Of course, this was not allowed by prison regulations. They tried to give the fluffernutter to me, as they said I reminded them of their son. Inside, this kind of freaked me out. Moral of the story; when you screw up really bad, you effect more than just yourself. So don't screw up really bad.

I refused the fluffernutter, but I should have taken it and said thanks. They had no use for the fluffernutter, but had a need to make someone else happy. I should have taken the fluffernutter. I wish I could have been less freaked out, and more of a human being that day.

Maybe next time.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

wow - interesting stuff here.

A manager I worked for liked fluffernutters, and felt like we had a minor morale problem (a weekly status meeting that took 1.5 hours). He brought in a toaster and the makings, and during the meeting we'd be getting up to make the sandwiches. Along with peanut butter and fluff, we kept a jar of Nutella. Nutella and fluff is good.

There is a restaurant in Princeton NJ (Ken - paying attention?) called Theresa's that makes a small pizza crust with nutella and powdered sugar. It's an excellent dessert.

I have enjoyed dipping pretzels into Nutella, but have no problem taking it straight from the spoon - except you have to spoon a bunch out first to avoid double dipping - you're not going to eat just one shot of that stuff....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• 3 weeks later...

Duck. I made duck a couple of days ago. It turned out very well indeed. I first steam the duck with chicken stock before baking in a real hot oven (500 degrees Fahrenheit) for 30 minutes. Very tasty.

Bonus is that I take the chicken stock that I steamed the duck in and freeze it in an ice cube tray. When I make vegetables either on the stove or microwaved I put a couple of the cubes in with it. Or I'll put a cube or two into a pan to de-glaze it to make a gravy. I've got a bit too much to freeze, so I'm making some duck soup tomorrow.

Say the magic word, win a hundred dollars.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Had some fine Szechuan food with the London Lowdown guys the other night. Szechuan is getting a little trendy in London right now but unlike the trendy, overpriced, unfriendly and distinctly average Bar Shu, Red and Hot is a delight.

http://www.dimsum.co.uk/food/its-warm-at-red-n-hot.html

It's distinctly un-trendy with a shabby exterior, an average buffet for tourist by the door, no license and those kind of disposable chopsticks that shred as you eat. But the food rocks! Great cooking. Huge amounts of chilli and Szechuan peppercorn cooked so expertly the flavours of the dishes are subtle and the chilli is not overpowering. Nice hidden gem.

On a completely different tack, this place looks very interesting: http://www.tsuru-sushi.co.uk/

I'm off to try it on Monday.

This is class:

"When we were finally seated, we had already memorised the menu so we waved down one of the waiters (or rather blocked his path so he couldnt escape us). You could not really tell if they were waiters. Judging from the way they walked, carried dishes, and spoke to and served customers, it seemed like their parents, uncles or aunties had just been pulled them off their computer games to help out on a busy night.

We ordered kou sui ji, my favourite Sichuan dish consisting of chopped pieces of cold chicken drenched in a complex chilli oil sauce. In addition, we had to try the sui jiu nil ro, slices of beef stewed in a chilli broth with Chinese greens, and ma po tofu, the signature Sichuan staple of tofu cubes stewed with minced beef, leeks, and of course, chilli sauce.

As we waited for our food, we witnessed a scene that only can happen in a restaurant as authenticly Chinese as this.

One of the cooks came out from the kitchen to help out the overwhelmed and under-experienced wait staff. He is middle aged, with a Buddha tummy, wearing a cooks hat, and began yelling at the wait staff the minute he walked in, a scene Ive seen in many casual Hong Kong or mainland Chinese restaurants. He clearly had no experience ever working at the front of the house where one actually faces and speaks to customers. He tooked an order from a table and the entire restaurant could hear every word he screamed in repeating the order to the table.

Then, he overheard another table speaking on their mobile phone to a friend who is late to meet them in the restaurant and apparently cannot find the restaurant. He came over to the table and insisted on speaking to the friend on the phone to give him directions. It became clear that the person on the other end of the line did not understand his directions so he offered to meet the person at the pagoda in Chinatown and walk him to the restaurant. Again, the entire restaurant can hear this conversation. During this exchange, the couple at the table befriended two girls sitting next to them and started exchanging stories about which city/village they came from in China. After the phone conversation, the cook bantered cheerfully with these two tables like old friends. I would pay extra to have such a waiter serve me.

At one point, in the middle of all this, all four waiters gathered around a dish that had just come out of the kitchen to try to figure out which table it was meant for.

When the food arrived, we were in a mood to eat again. The food was simply excellent. Each dish was uncomprisingly authentic, unapologetically cooked for the tastebuds of mainland Chinese diners used to Sichuan food you would get in Chengdu, the capital of the Sichuan province in China. Therefore, it is not surprising that every one of the patrons appear to be from mainland China. The ma po tofu was alive, bursting with the tongue-numbing grinded Sichuan peppercorns and chilli bean sauce. The sui jiu nil ro was perfectly stewed in a chilli broth which was full of flavour." :grin:

Nutella is best served on a spoon, you don't need to complicate good things. The later at night the better it tastes, trust me it's a warewolf thing.

Actually, I prefer it with some sort of stone fruit like plums or apricots. It's great on strawberries too. The juice from the fruit makes the Nutella a bit less "chunky" to eat.

Archived