Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Completely OT: Food

_Sweet Willie_

I've never really had much foreign food. Only went as far as Chinese, mexican...Indian thats it really. I would like to try Singapore...or anything else :P What is it like? Spicy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peranakan_cuisine

Looks alright apart from the lumps of meet in it :P but I'm sure that could be easily replaced.

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buddy of mine got a small male deer second day of the season. He gave me one of the loins. I can't think of when i had venison last, so didn't know what to expect. My only regret now is that I didn't save it for when the wife and I have our next dinner party. It was most excellent! Can't buy that in stores; not even Wegman's!

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

For the loin, I just did a dry rub of:

3 parts kosher salt

1 part paprika

1 part garlic powder

1 part black pepper

1 part dried thyme

1 part finely ground coffee (I used Wegman's espresso roast)

Then I put it on the grill until the thermometer hit 130 degrees. Covered it with foil to rest for ten minutes; I don't know what the final temperature was. This rub rules on beef and pork. I even sprinkle it on my eggs. I usually split the paprika half sweet and half spicy hungarian since my wife doesn't like it as hot as I do.

For other parts of the deer i have been told that slow cooking (roast, crock pot, or pot-roast style) is the way to go. I have a thigh roast in the freezer; will post how it turns out when I cook it up. My plan was to do this pot-roast recipe which has worked very well with beef, but with the venison:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_75285,00.html

But I'm all ears if others have a better idea; I'm a venison rookie so I'm just cooking it the way I'd do beef of that cut!

Most Venison is a little tough except for the Loin, (in Texas we call it Backstrap). We eat a lot of Venison and my favorite is just plain, country cookin. Slice the loin thin, fry in oil, after covering it with flour. A lot of garlic and pepper make a big difference. Serve it in spicy brown gravy and on top of open biscuits. Usually a breakfast meal. The rest of the deer is usually made into link sausage. 50% venison and 50% pork with a lot of spice.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I love wild game.

Elk is my favorite followed by venison. We hunt Javalina here, which is usually made into a tasty type of sausage. I am also an avid hunter of upland birds which around here is primarily quail and dove. A good friend of mine lives in the northern part of the state and I hope to hunt ducks, gouse and turkey up there next year.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

BBQ grilled Kangaroo fillets served rare and sliced thinly over a bed of fresh spinach and kaffir lime cous-cous drizzled with a sauce made from lemon juice, soy, chopped garlic, hot chilis, spring onions and coriander is one of my favourites.

We have it a couple of times a week at home.

:thu:

I'm going to Madeira for new years eve and to spend a week with my other half parents and I'll have the best sweker in the world 1st class beef meat on a louro stick grilled and with a touch of garlic butter melting over

Madeira

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Madeira has some great food - I don't remember that one though. I had some great espada and very good swordfish. The seafood was very good. I remember noticing that many Madeirans drank quite a lot of alcohol (well, it was Christmas!) We had many fine meals there and went hiking in the levadas. I remember once a restaurant threatened to call the police on us when we argued about them adding an exorbitant amount on the bill for bread. We left without paying for that. A bit like those London restaurants that add service charge automatically and leave a space on your credit card receipt to add a tip and put the whole thing on a little metal tray implying you should tip there too.

My other half is from there and I always have such a great time there, they won the best/biggest fireworks on new years eve last year. it was fantastic

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

David / Phil, I was not familiar with Madeira so I looked it up in Wikipedia. My wife and I love wine, so we will try to get a bottle or two next time at the store. Phil, As you know from your time in the US, the "Double Tip" is everywhere. You really need to check your bill.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I just watched Heston Blumenthal cook the perfect chili. Rocky, you might like to try this recipe:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/chilliconcarne_87368.shtml

I'll copy and paste it in in case the link vanishes:

Heston Blumenthal's 'Perfect' Chili Con Carne

--------------------------------------------

In this recipe, Heston uses grams for both solid and liquid measurements for pinpoint accuracy. To weigh liquids, any suitable container can be placed on digital scales and the scales reset to zero.

Ingredients

For the short-rib brine

1kg/2¼lb water

100g/3½oz salt

300g/10½oz Jack Daniel's whiskey

8 beef short-ribs

For the kidney beans

1kg/2¼lb water

10g/½oz salt

300g/10½oz dried organic kidney beans

45 large on-the-vine cherry tomatoes

For the chilli powder blend

2-3 dried devil's penis chillies, de-seeded

2-3 dried bird's-eye chillies, de-seeded

1 tsp Somalian extra-hot chilli powder

10g/½oz sweet smoked paprika

10g/½oz Durango ground chilli powder

10g/½oz El Rey ground chilli powder

10g/½oz Madera ground chilli powder

20g/¾oz Pecos Red ground chilli powder

20g/¾ Rio Tejas ground chilli powder

For the stock

650g/1lb 7oz oxtail

1kg/2&frac14lb rib bones (ask your butcher to cut them so that they will fit into the pressure cooker)

flour, as needed

50g/1¾oz grapeseed or groundnut oil

1.5kg/3lb 5oz lean beef mince

25g/1oz unsalted butter

1 large onion, sliced

3 large leeks, white and pale green parts only, sliced

2 large carrots, sliced

2 tsp chilli powder blend

1 bottle red wine (preferably Syrah)

5 long peppers (pipenlongum, available through online shops)

10g/½oz fresh chives

10g/½oz fresh flatleaf parsley

10g/½oz fresh tarragon

2 fresh bay leaves

For the braised short-ribs

8 brined beef short-ribs

plain flour, for dusting

3-4 tbsp reserved fat from the stock

2 tsp chilli powder blend

1 large onion, sliced

4 large leeks, white and pale green parts only, sliced

3 large carrots, sliced

1 bottle red wine (preferably Syrah)

5 long peppers (pipenlongum, available through online shops)

1kg/2¼lb reserved beef stock

reserved kidney beans and their liquid

For the cipolline confit

250g/8¾oz peeled cipolline onions

10g/½oz salt

extra virgin olive oil, as needed

For the roasted peppers

4 red bell peppers

extra virgin olive oil, as needed

For the finishing butter

120g/4¼oz butter, softened to room temperature

20g/¾ chilli powder blend

5g/¼oz cumin

2 limes, zest and juice only

1 tsp Tabasco sauce

1 tsp Jack Daniel's whiskey

1 tsp finely grated Parmesan cheese

1 tsp tomato ketchup

½ tsp Worcestershire sauce

For the finished chilli con carne

3-4 tbsp (plus extra if needed) reserved fat from the stock

1kg/2¼lb lean beef mince (preferably dry-aged and free of gristle - ask your butcher)

40g/1½oz chilli powder blend

3 whole star anise

1 large onion, finely diced

5 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped

1 large carrot, finely diced

50g/1¾oz fresh jalapeno chilli, finely chopped

40g/1½oz tomato purée

600g/1lb 5oz Jack Daniel's whiskey

reserved short-ribs and their braising liquid

reserved kidney beans and their braising liquid

salt

reserved cipolline confit, drained of oil and cut into quarters

reserved roasted peppers

1 fresh jalapeno chilli, finely diced

finishing butter, as needed

For the muffins

300g/10½oz butter

560g/1lb 3¾oz canned sweetcorn

50g/1¾oz whole milk

200g/7oz double cream

250g/8¾oz plain flour

1½ tsp baking powder

190g/6¾oz caster sugar

100g/3½oz free-range eggs

pinch of salt

40g/1½oz water

For the sour cream ice cream

500g/1lb 2oz low-fat sour cream

500g/1lb 2oz crushed dry ice

Method

You will need the following special equipment: spice grinder, pressure cooker, muslin, oven thermometer, silicone muffin mould, food mixer, dry ice.

BRINING THE SHORT-RIBS

1. Combine the water and the salt in a storage container and stir from time to time to dissolve the salt.

2. Meanwhile, tip the Jack Daniel's into a small pan and slowly bring to the boil. As soon as it has reached boiling point, carefully ignite the alcohol with a match. (This removes the harsh, raw notes of the alcohol, but take care because it will go up with a large flame and will burn for some time on the hob.) Reduce it by half, then leave to cool completely before adding it to the pan of salted water.

3. Place the short-ribs in the brine. Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.

4. Remove the ribs from the brine and place in a container of cold, fresh water. Allow to soak for six hours, changing the water regularly.

PREPARING THE KIDNEY BEANS

1. Combine the water and salt in a storage container and stir to dissolve the salt.

2. Tip the beans into the container, cover and refrigerate for 12 hours. This soaking step will help the finished beans to cook evenly and keep the skins from splitting during the cooking process.

3. Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to the boil. Fill a large bowl with iced water (if ice is not available, use the coldest water from the tap).

4. Pull the tomatoes off the vine, reserving the vine. Remove the cores with a paring knife.

5. Cut the tomatoes into quarters and place in a sieve over a bowl. Sprinkle two teaspoons of salt over them and leave until about 100g/3½oz tomato juice has collected in the bowl.

6. Place the tomatoes and their juice in a small pressure cooker. Put on the lid and place over a high heat. When it reaches full pressure, cook for 20 minutes.

7. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Once cool, remove the lid and place the tomatoes back on the hob. Cook over a high heat, stirring frequently, until the liquid has reduced by half, about 15 minutes.

8. Leave the tomatoes to cool again, then tip into a container. Add the reserved vines and cover (this will infuse the fresh, raw aroma of tomatoes on the vine into the liquid). Store this tomato liquid in the fridge until the beans have soaked.

9. Strain the beans and tip into a small pressure cooker. Remove the vines from the tomatoes. Add the tomatoes to the beans. If necessary, add some water so that the beans are covered.

10. Put on the lid and place over a high heat. When it reaches full pressure, cook for 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Tip the beans and tomato sauce into a large container. Cover and store in the fridge until required.

MAKING THE CHILLI POWDER BLEND

1. Finely grind the chillies with a pestle and mortar or a spice grinder. Measure out half a teaspoon of each into a container.

2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover and store until required.

MAKING THE STOCK

1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. While the oven is heating, toss the oxtails and rib bones in flour to coat lightly. Place in a roasting tray and roast for 40-45 minutes, or until golden-brown, turning regularly.

2. Meanwhile, place a large pan over a high heat for at least five minutes. Add the oil and wait until it starts smoking - it must be hot enough so that the mince browns rather than stews. Add 1kg/2¼lb of the mince in batches, in a single layer, and stir until browned. You might need to deglaze the pan with water between batches if any crustiness develops in the bottom.

3. Discard the fat left in the pan and add the butter. Melt over a low heat, then add the onion, leeks and carrots and cook for ten minutes, or until soft. Scatter over the chilli powder, stir to combine and cook for an additional five minutes over a high heat to release the aromas of the chillies.

4. Turn the heat back to medium and deglaze the pan by adding the wine and scraping up all the bits stuck to the bottom while bringing it to the boil. Once the liquid has reduced by two-thirds, tip it and the vegetables into a small pressure cooker.

5. Add the cooked mince and the reserved raw mince, the roasted bones and the long peppers. Pour in enough water to entirely cover the ingredients. Put on the lid and place over a high heat. When it reaches full pressure, cook for two hours.

6. Take the pan off the heat and allow to depressurise. Remove the lid and add the herbs. Allow to infuse for 30 minutes.

7. Strain the stock and cool over ice or in the fridge.

8. When cool, remove all the fat that has come to the top and reserve.

9. Tip the stock into a large pan and place over a high heat. Reduce by half, skimming constantly to remove any remaining fat and impurities. Leave to cool, then store in the fridge until required.

BRAISING THE SHORT-RIBS

1. Dust the ribs on all sides with flour. Melt the reserved fat in a large cast-iron casserole over a high heat. When the fat starts smoking add the ribs in batches. Sear on each side (1-2 minutes) until golden-brown. Remove the ribs from the pan and set aside.

2. Lower the heat to medium. Add the chilli powder blend to the pan and fry quickly for around two minutes to release the flavour into the oil. Add the onion, leeks and carrots and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the vegetables are lightly caramelised, stirring occasionally.

3. Pour in the wine and bring to the boil, scraping up all the bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Meanwhile, line the inside of a storage container or pan with a piece of muslin large enough to hold all the vegetables. Once the wine has reduced by two-thirds, tip the vegetables out of the casserole into the lined container. Tie up the muslin and return the 'bag' to the casserole, also returning the liquid that has drained into the container.

4. Preheat the oven to 140C/275F/Gas 1.

5. Add the short-ribs, plus the reserved stock and kidney beans in tomato sauce to the casserole. Cover the dish first with cling film, then with aluminium foil, and place in the oven for five hours.

6. Remove the casserole from the oven and leave to cool. Squeeze the excess juice from the muslin bag, then discard the bag and its contents.

7. Transfer the short-ribs to a large container. Use a slotted spoon to remove the beans and place them in a separate large container.

8. Skim off any fat from the braising liquid and strain through a sieve. Divide the liquid between the two containers, covering the beans and the short-ribs. Store the meat and beans in the fridge until required.

9. After the short-ribs have been stored for a few hours, remove the meat from the gelatinous liquid, brushing off any excess jelly, and place on a chopping board. Remove the meat from the bone and discard both the bones and any heavy connective tissue.

10. Using a fork, shred the meat into long pieces where it wants to separate naturally.

11. Return this shredded meat to the gelatinous liquid, submerging it to keep it from drying out. Store in the fridge until needed.

MAKING THE CIPOLLINE CONFIT

1. Season the onions with the salt and place in a pan in a single layer. Cover with olive oil.

2. Cook over a low heat until the onions are completely tender. Transfer to a storage container and chill in the oil.

PREPARING THE ROASTED PEPPERS

1. Preheat the grill until very hot.

2. Core and halve the peppers, and remove the white pith and seeds.

3. Put the pepper halves, skin side up, on a grill pan and brush them with olive oil. Place under the hot grill and leave them until they are black.

4. Remove the blackened peppers from the grill and wrap immediately in cling film. Set aside for ten minutes.

5. Unwrap the peppers and peel off the blackened skin.

6. Cut the peeled peppers into 1cm/½in cubes and store in the fridge until needed.

MAKING THE FINISHING BUTTER

1. In a small pan heat 20g/¾oz of the butter with the chilli powder blend and cumin, and fry lightly. Transfer this mixture to a heatproof bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.

2. Blanch the lime zest briefly in boiling water, refresh in cold water and then mince finely.

3. Add the zest and all the other ingredients to the butter mixture. Fold together until everything is evenly mixed. Transfer to a storage container and keep refrigerated.

ASSEMBLING THE CHILLI CON CARNE

1. Place a large pan over a high heat for at least five minutes. Add the reserved fat. When smoking hot, add the mince in batches and cook until evenly browned. Between batches deglaze with water as needed and save all of the bits and liquid that is collected.

2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mince to a bowl or plate, leaving the fat in the pan. Deglaze the pan with a little water to remove the bits of meat stuck to the bottom. Add these bits to your browned meat.

3. Turn the heat down to medium and add a bit more of the fat. Add the chilli powder blend and fry briefly, adding more fat if needed.

4. Crush the star anise and bag it in a square of muslin. Add this and the onion to the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the onion is soft and caramelised.

5. Turn the heat down to low, then add the garlic, carrot and jalapeno chilli. Cook for about ten minutes, or until soft.

6. Add the tomato purée and cook until it becomes a deep brick-red colour.

7. Deglaze the pan by turning the temperature up to medium and adding the Jack Daniel's. (Be careful as the whiskey will flame.) Bring it to the boil, then scrape up all the bits stuck to the bottom.

8. Add the browned mince plus the short-ribs and their liquid to the pan. Stir in the reserved kidney beans and braising liquid and simmer over a low heat for 40 minutes. Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt. At this point it is best to cool and store the chilli, and finish it later that day or the next. However, you can continue now if you wish.

9. If you have allowed your chilli to cool, reheat it over a low heat. Adjust the seasoning with salt and the chilli powder blend if necessary.

10. Add the cipolline confit, roasted peppers and diced jalapeno. Fold together, being careful not to break the delicate beans.

11. Fold in the finishing butter to give a fresh acidity and glossy sheen to the sauce. The amount that you add depends on your personal preference.

MAKING THE CORN MUFFINS

1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5, using an oven thermometer to check it. Lightly butter and flour a large muffin tin or use a silicone muffin mould.

2. Melt 25g/1oz of the butter in a large pan or casserole. Add the corn and fry over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes.

3. Pour in the milk and double cream and simmer over a low heat for five minutes.

4. Tip the corn mixture into a food processor and blend until smooth. Push this mixture through a fine sieve and set aside. Discard what's left in the sieve.

5. With the rest of the butter, make beurre noisette. Put the butter in a pan over a medium heat. When the butter stops sizzling (a sign that all the water has evaporated, after which it will burn) and develops a nutty aroma, remove it from the heat immediately. Strain it into a jug and leave to cool until needed. Discard the blackened solids in the sieve.

6. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add the caster sugar.

7. Whisk the eggs and salt together, then pour into the dry mixture, along with the water and 225g/8oz of the reserved creamed corn.

8. Pour the beurre noisette into the muffin mixture and stir. (Try to avoid tipping in any sediment that may have collected at the bottom of the jug.)

9. Spoon the muffin mixture into the prepared tin or mould and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a pale golden-brown.

MAKING THE SOUR CREAM ICE CREAM

1. Crush the dry ice either briefly in a food processor or by wrapping in a tea towel and beating with a rolling pin.

2. Tip the sour cream into the bowl of a food mixer. Mix on a medium speed while adding small amounts of crushed dry ice until the sour cream is thick and nearly frozen.

3. Use a spoon to scrape the mixture into a rectangular mould, and place in the freezer to harden for one hour.

4. Unmould the ice cream and serve immediately.

Better taste amazing after all that! ;)

Alex

Rocky I'm going Madeira in a couple weeks and I think you would be better served with me sending you a bottle, even the least expensive ones would be better than what you get in the US.

PM me your address and you will start your new year with a bottle on the post :)

Alex, That is a good reciepe for Chile con Carne (here we just call it Chile) I would not use the carrots but everything else is pretty close to how we cook it. I have not used the Jack Daniels but will try it.

David, Thank you for the offer on the Medeira wine, I will PM you.

Thanks, Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

I just love food in general. No ethnic preference...just good food. In no particular order, some of my favorites:

A good chili, with plenty of heat

Fried seafood

Lobster dipped in butter

Calzones

Spaghetti with meatballs and sausage

Thai food, specifically Chicken Peanut Pik-Pow

Lasagna

Brats

Chicken Marsala

Southern Fried Chicken

Nicely cooked Roast Beef

Chicken Pie

New York Sirloin cooked medium

Prime Rib

A nice homemade mac and cheese casserole

Chicken Parm

Beef burritos

ANY hotsauce

I love asparagus with butter

For beverages, I`m pretty basic and easy to please...water, un-sweetened ice tea. I limit my soda.

For drinks...margaritas are decent, but I prefer a good old basic cranberry and vodka. I like dark beers...Guiness, Sam Adams, Shipyard Prelude (their winter offering). A good one is a Black and Tan...Guinuess with Bass Ale drizzled in over an upturned spoon. I find that American beers lack any taste. A mimosa is certainly a fine addition to any breakfast.

As for breakfast....eggs over easy with Texas toast and cornbeef hash.

Food is good!

LOL! Thanksgiving is definitely all about power eating for me. It's by far my favorite holiday.

I'm not huge or tiny - 6 foot 2, 190 lbs. I can't pack it away like when I was younger, that's for sure.

I'm thinking 3 plates, half a cherry pie and half a pecan pie (and I don't see how some of those can't be a la mode). 3 plates doesn't even seem like much of a goal but I keep failing at 4 plates so I guess have to scale back my goals. Maybe I just need more training.

I'm sorry to report I did not meet my goals, but it truly wasn't for a lack of trying.

What I did not count on were the appetizers - my aunt made bacon-wrapped dates that were so good. Her parmesan mushrooms were really good too, and after not eating much thru the day I scarfed those down pretty quick and that really hurt my eating goals.

I ate only two full plates, and then I had a large slice of pecan and cherry pie, both a la mode, so maybe just a 1/4th of a whole pie.

Honestly, at the end of the cherry pie I really could not fit another mouthful down my gullet. After the pie I was groaning and had to lie down for about an hour, LOL! I really almost made myself sick, so it was a great Turkey Day!

I think I could have had 3 plates if I didn't have the appetizers, but I just can't eat as much as I used to. 3 plates and a WHOLE pie - no way. My gastronomic capabilities are a sad state of affairs, but it is what it is. I used to be able to nap anywhere too, but don't get me started on the deterioration of my napping abilities!

I'll get 'em next year!

I want the real soup, not the Pho soup.

Tonight's dinner looks like some leftover skinny pork sausage and leftover diced/broiled potatoes. I'll throw a few eggs on them and enjoy it very much.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• 2 weeks later...

This always goes over well.

Brown up some raw pumpkin seeds in a pan (1/4 cup or so, dry; no oil). Don't try to take a shortcut with those white pre-cooked ones. It doesn't work. In a small cuisinart thingie chop up a half or three quarters of a bunch of cilantro, the pumpkin seeds, a clove or two of garlic, salt, pepper, and enough olive oil to make it into a slurry kind of consistency. Put it on green beans, salad, pork, beef, or chicken, or on just about anything short of your morning bowl of cornflakes. fabulous on tomatoes, but they're not in season unless you're south of the border. Serve warm or cold, keeps at least three days in the fridge. Acceptable substitutions are sunflower seeds (which do work OK if they're already cooked) or walnuts, but the pumpkin seeds are best. Since this is cooking and not baking, measurements are whatever floats your boat; it's hard to mess up something with garlic and olive oil in it.

peace!

Paul K

I don't know if you guys have Nandos in America (actually, it probably originated there?).

(EDIT: I just checked..... Wikipedia had this to say:

Nando's is a global fast-food restaurant chain originating from South Africa with a Portuguese-theme.)

I just feel compelled to add Nandos peri peri chips with extra hot peri peri sauce to the list.

Oh my!

:D

I don't know if you guys have Nandos in America (actually, it probably originated there?).

(EDIT: I just checked..... Wikipedia had this to say:

Nando's is a global fast-food restaurant chain originating from South Africa with a Portuguese-theme.)

I just feel compelled to add Nandos peri peri chips with extra hot peri peri sauce to the list.

Oh my!

:D

I just don't get the thing about Nandos, Alex has been in Portugal this year and he can guarantee that Portuguese food is so much more than Nandos. Funny enough we don't have nandos in Portugal.

nandos is an abreviation to a common portuguese name. Fernando, nando.

• 2 weeks later...

So I made the venison pot roast as described. It was very, very good. The gravy came out exquisite. The meat was very tender, but a little dry. Next time I will put two or three slices of bacon under the venison so it gets a little grease to it.

On another note, while I was eating leftovers of said venison pot roast this afternoon, two deer calmly walked through our back yard; it felt a little creepy having one of their brothers on my lunch plate, so I made the dog go out and chase them away.

She's a good girl.

Peace

Paul K

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of new low-budget recommendations in London:

Inn Noodle

http://www.innnoodle.co.uk/

From the location you'd guess it would be a tourist trap but it's hardly that. Hong Kong in style and language spoken with a range of Chinese dishes including more Northern styles. The hand made noodles are great as is the soup. Go for soup noodle and your sorted. They also have a reasonably priced, Hong Kong style drinks menu.

Then there's a half decent chain Chop'd which does a range of warm and cold salads and various soups. Not bad for a chain, very tasty (though salads don't fill me) and fairly inexpensive.

http://www.chopd.co.uk/

If you sign up to their mailing list you get a free lunch on your birthday.

Anyone venturing anywhere near downtown LA has to go to Daikokuya

http://www.daikoku-ten.com/

This is a Japanese noodle bar so authentic it hurts. Minimal number of tables, authentically grotty restrooms, 1950s posters, and a 30 minute queue if you arrive any time between 11.45 and 1.30. Go before or after - likewise for the nearby and highly acclaimed Sushi Gen.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sushi-gen-los-angeles

Both these two are cheap too.

Where are the best cheap eats in your city?

I just might visit.

Archived