Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dual Truss Rods

carpedebass

I have never been very good at bass setup, but would like to start doing my own. I have read and tried to apply what the "search" feature gave me with respect to "truss rod" and "setup" but have not seen anything regarding dual rods. Both my Traben and my Dean fretless 6 have dual rods. I assume one is for the lower end and the other for the high strings, but I'm not sure. I tried to adjust both the same to keep from twisting the neck, but the Traben is still not right (has fret buzz on the D string but the strings seem very high after the 12th fret) and I cannot seem to "dial in" the fretless growl on the Dean. I probably need to take them both to a reputable setup guy, but this little podunk town only has one and he charges $60 per axe. I don't have the money right now or I'd just take them to him and let him do it. I'm getting very frustrated though. HELP!!! :mad:

Love God...Love People!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like your Traben is bowed slightly backwards.

I'm not sure how the double truss rod works. I always assumed one went down the left side of the neck & the other the right.

I think you may have to relax the rods a little.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

try going to the yamaha website, it might help with info. Research for the servicing material related to their trb6pii because it has that info in there i think. If not, call them up and they are pretty good in talkin to customers.

tinymay

i just want my bass, more bass, and of course, wife.

Originally posted by tinymay:

try going to the yamaha website, it might help with info. Research for the servicing material related to their trb6pii because it has that info in there i think. If not, call them up and they are pretty good in talkin to customers.

Uh, OK, but I'm not a Yamaha customer.

Love God...Love People!

I just find this on the MusicYo website after a short google.

DUAL TRUSS ROD SYSTEM FOR TOBY 6

The Toby 6 string utilizes a dual truss rod system for added stability. NEVER tighten one rod by itself but adjust each rod one-quarter turn at a time so that the stress will be equal on each rod. If the desired string height is less or more on one side of the neck, you can adjust one side a LITTLE more or less to compensate but never more than one-quarter turn. The string height at the 12th fret should be no more than 5/64 from bottom of string to top of fret.

• 3 months later...

UPDATE...

Just so you guys know, I finally got up the nerve to figure the dual truss rod thing out today. I changed strings (went with Elixirs - medium) so I noticed at once that my strings were almost 1/4 inch from the fretboard. A truss rod adjustment was more than necessary and, lacking the funds to have it done, I carefully began the adjustment. To my dismay I found that the top truss rod adjusts exactly opposite the lower one. Counterclockwise on top needs clockwise on bottom. Eventually I had to completely back off both rods to get them somewhere close to the same, then started 1/8 turns opposing each other tightening them. Long story somewhat short...no cracking sounds or snapping of the rods and without a doubt one of the absolute best setups I've ever had on a bass...and I did it myself! Seriously...breathe on the strings and you'll fret 'em. (OK, maybe a slight exaggeration...) :D

Love God...Love People!

You beat me to it, I was about to suggest that you remove the strings, totally loosen the truss rods and carefully check the neck in it's natural condition. Slowly tighten each truss rod and see what effect it has on the neck. I always start off with too much upbow and then back off the tension until I get it where I want it. Adjusting the tension while the bass is in tune, sometimes the threads will strip if they are in poor conedition. Just a hint that works for me. I'm glad that you worked it out. Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Hell ya carpedebass, way to go. I always enjoy working on my bass and not having to take it somewhere. Another thing that can contribute to fret buzz, although you apparently have no more buzz, is the frets themselves. If they are worn they can casue bad intonation, did you check the intonation on your bass after you were finished? Also, if they get any burs you can have a horrible buzz and a perfect neck, which has frustrated me a couple time before. Some guys have suggested to me that if you are in a fix for me to take steel wool (the fine kind, not the kind with thick strands) and rub it against my frets to polish them up, it helped. i save a bundle of money buying freting tools. one caution: If you go to do your frets, one thing that isnt often mentioned in books it, tape the fretboard so the metal shavings dont go into the wood.

Very cool, now I will know if I ever have a bass with dual truss rods what to do.

On the subject of fixing up you bass, has everyone discovered the wonders of Micro Mesh. That stuff will fix ANY scratch that didnt go to the wood. Its a dream, especially if you own a shop and have a bunch of guitars with pick scratches.

Bonne Chants.

Archived