Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Charlie Hunter Trio in NYC

_Sweet Willie_

Dig it -- last night my wife and I hit the Jazz Standard as part of an excellent night on the town in NYC. I had purchased tickets for the 7:30pm set of the Charlie Hunter Trio.

Charlie Hunter blew the roof off the mutha. He is a smokin' musician. He played one of his Ralph Novak fanned fret guitar-basses (3 bass strings E-A-D; 5 guitar strings A-D-G-B-E). The pocket was deep, the groovin' hard, and the playing amazing. It's crazy to watch him playing the bass parts and guitar parts simultaneously. Added bonus: Charlie has a killer funk face.

He was accompanied by Derek Phillips on drums (wow) and Jon Ellis on sax and Wurlitzer (very cool). He also had a surprise guest musician on chromatic harp, who was amazing -- Greg Warmarea (sp?).

If you are in the NYC area and have time tonight I recommend you spend the $25 on a ticket and try to get to the last night of the Charlie Hunter Trio's run at the Jazz Standard.

Relevant links:

Charlie Hunter\'s website

Jazz Standard website

Oh yeah, I believe Charlie Hunter is a Berkeley kid. Ever met him, JeremyC?

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of notes to add.

Hunter makes excellent use of effects. In particular there is thoughtful use of an octave effect on bass to fill out the sound from time to time. Also, judicious and tasty use of reverb/chorus/delay on guitar parts and some very rich overdrive sounds.

Peace.

--SW

PS: Run, do not walk, to this gig. Lots of energy on stage, lots of serious grooves.

spreadluv

I'm a Charlie Hunter fan...we just never seem to be in the same city at the same time. On the night he played Rochester last year, I had to be out of town for a family thing. If I hadn't been in Montreal 4 days last week, I would have scheduled a trip to NYC to catch him (and some very tasty BBQ) at the Jazz Standard.

Did he play any of the Marley covers from "Natty Dread", SUU? That album kills me.

Originally posted by Phil W:

Greg Warmarea is Gregoire Maret.

Thanks, Phil W! Now everything becomes clear. I've seen the name "Gregoire Maret" on websites and liner notes before but I hadn't put it together.

That cat can deliver the goods -- no doubt! And a great addition to an already smokin' trio.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Archived