Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Marcus Miller

Barks

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4654972532444267789&q=Marcus+Miller

Marcus Miller is probably my favourite bass player - I have a cat called Miller who is very cool! - and just saw this video link from the Marcus website.

'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Barks:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4654972532444267789&q=Marcus+Miller

Marcus Miller is probably my favourite bass player - I have a cat called Miller who is very cool! - and just saw this video link from the Marcus website.

That IS good. About Marcus though: i love his playing and his tone/sound but i do get bored with his music pretty quick. I can't help it. :D

OT: Still, it is not as bad as with Eric Clapton. I can't take any of him. I know he must be good, otherwise he wouldn't rank up with Jimi and the rest on all the lists, but i hate his music together with his playing. Sorry about that, i usually keep it to myself so as not to offend anyone.

Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5, Fernandes LEB-2

Ashdown ABM-300, Ashdown ABM 4x10

If you're a Marcus Miller fan, but you haven't yet seen the 'Montreux Jazz Legends Live' DVD with Miller on bass, Steve Gadd on drums, Joe Sample on piano, David Sanborn on sax, and Clapton on guitar, definitely pick it up. You'll love it!

Some of the best live footage of Marcus I have ever seen. It's his ability to really groove that makes him one of my top three favorite bass players of all time.

Also...

He performs a KILLER live duo with Victor Wooten on Wooten's 'Live In America' CD. They do a live version of Jaco's 'Teen Town'. Pretty amazing.

Originally posted by Edendude:

If you're a Marcus Miller fan, but you haven't yet seen the 'Montreaux Jazz Legends Live' DVD with Miller on bass, Steve Gadd on drums, Joe Pass on piano, David Sanborn on sax, and Clapton on guitar, definitely pick it up. You'll love it!

You know...the Legends DVD left me cold for some reason. The first three or four songs were enjoyable, but after a while it just all started sounding the same...a bunch of mid-tempo blues-rock-smooth-jazz-sounding tunes that appealed to all the 40-somethings in the audience.

There was some good stuff: Miller was the bomb, Clapton held his own admirably, and Sanborn blew some sweet lines on this unaccompanied intro he had. I loved the musicianship coming out of everyone, but it didn't gel into anything that I found really compelling.

I turned it off halfway through. Not my cup of tea, I guess. YMMV...

I really enjoyed it, but I have to say it would have been better without Clapton. He was out of his league and tended to hold the rest of them back in places, in my opinion.

I'll concede that there are a few lack-lustre numbers on there, too. I think there's three songs on the DVD that I always skip, but the rest more than make up for it, for me anyway.

From a rhythm section perspective, it's pure joy to watch and listen to the way Marcus and Steve Gadd lock up and groove.

That's pretty cool. Maybe it's time I bought a MM album...

Alex, you gotta get at least one!

My favourite is probably 'Tales' followed by 'M2'

'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

I know I'm supposed to like him, and I think he is great at what he does, but I, too, get kinda bored after a while. It's the same with lots of players/bands for me. I guess that's why we are lucky to have so many to choose from and can vary our listening and playing.

My bass instructor here at USM can play like him (He's a monster). It's all about keeping the right hand doing one motion. Popping is just like a reaction to the slap. Your right hand works like one unit, unless you're doing double slapping then popping (triplets). The movement's in the forearm and not so much the wrist. I'm currently learning how to slap like this. I can slap now, but it's more of an independent motion between the thumb and index... Trying to rid myself of that. Good for some stuff, but not all around. Just thought I'd add my comment in here.

Slapping is like soloing.. if you do it too much it loses its value to the listener. I too like Miller but after hearing every song in slap on Silver Rain it gets old really quick. Heck, I even get sick of Jaco sometimes and the sound of him playing all over the neck.

One person who I enjoy in a variety of styles is Victor Wooten. If you catch his technique video and extreme bass you'll see that he variates his technique (and i'm not at all mentioning his double thumb technique, or whatever you call it.)

I was listening to Miles' "Amandla" in the car last night. Aside from Marcus' bass playing, his arranging and production on that album were clever as hell and very influential. Great textures all over the album (his own bass clarinet, French horn and choir samples, Foley's leads, etc.). Though some elements have become '80s cliches, as a whole that album and "Tutu" have held up well.

That's one of the things I like about the Montreux Legends DVD, Marcus shows he can fingerstyle groove with the best of them. He's not all about slapping his way through the entire performance at that show.

I agree about Victor, too...

Check out Bela Fleck & The Flecktones 'Live At The Quick', for some examples of Victor's ability of play many styles, and to use many techniques.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Marcus is the bomb. "The Sun Don't Lie" is an incredible album and is worth the price just for his slap version of "Teen Town."

I want that new DVD of his...

In the new Bass Player they talk about the new DVD "Master of All Trades" and it says how one disc is a set from 2002 and the second disc has interviews and a performance of Teen Town. I MUST OWN!

Edendude, On that dvd...joe pass on piano, is that the jazz guitar player joe pass, or a fella with the same name?
My mistake, Arwin...

I always get the names 'Joe Pass' and 'Joe Sample' mixed up for some reason.

It's JOE SAMPLE on the Legends DVD.... http://www.ericclaptonportal.com/news/images/20050813.jpg

Archived