Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

January Edition

Bassplayerjoe

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would Adam Clayton be an idol?

The guy was a complete beginner when the band started out and doesn't sound a whole lot different now.

Only now he gets to play his overly simple lines on vintage gear.

Yeah, I know his parts fit the music. That doesn't say a lot for the rest of the players in the band or the writing.

If it weren't for the lyrics, there would be absolutely nothing there.

But of course that's just my opinion and I'm just ranting now.

The guy was a complete beginner when the band started out and doesn't sound a whole lot different now.

I have no problem with Adam Clayton being an idol to beginners. His basslines are easy for a novice to hear and try to cop by ear.

My first bass idol was Roger Waters. Hardly a player who pushed the envelope...but his lines were tasteful and very easy to hear and learn without having to turn to the dreaded TAB.

Of course, once I got my chops up, I heard Guy Pratt play a couple smokin' solos on Pink Floyd's live album "The Delicate Sound of Thunder" and realized there was a lot more to the instrument. :D

I agree the issue is best read back to front, as well! :D

i've never really understood the "depth" to U2. it always seemed to me to be litle more than egomanical arena rock. looking for real meaning in a U2 song is kinda like scuba diving in a shot glass. sure it looks like it could be fun but it soon proves impossible.
i am the anti, the tugging feeling in the back of your head that makes you second guess yourself. i am the devil inside of you begging to escape.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

I have no problem with Adam Clayton being an idol to beginners. His basslines are easy for a novice to hear and try to cop by ear.
Admittedly, this guy is in one of, if not THE biggest band in the world. Musically, U2 must be doing something right. Somehow they connect with a lot of people.

Do I think Adam Clayton is a viruoso? Nope. Has everyone who's been on the cover of BP been a virtuoso? Nope. Are we sometimes guilty of being musical snobs here? Sure. Witness the outcry that occurred when Kim Deal was on the cover.

Has Adam Clayton come up with memorable parts? Sure. Whenever someone thinks of the song "With or without you", I think they will always think of that constant bass part. I think the part for "Bullet the blue sky" has always been kind of interesting, albeit an exercise in playing open strings. Beyond that, I'm not that interested in criticizing the guy. What's the point? Am I going to convince U2 fans to buy fewer records? Please. I have better things to do with my time.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

My first bass idol was Roger Waters. Hardly a player who pushed the envelope...but his lines were tasteful and very easy to hear and learn without having to turn to the dreaded TAB.

Of course, once I got my chops up, I heard Guy Pratt play a couple smokin' solos on Pink Floyd's live album "The Delicate Sound of Thunder" and realized there was a lot more to the instrument. :D

Similar situation here. Getting into Roger Waters' playing was a good first step for me as a player. And likewise, hearing Guy Pratt's playing was equally illuminating when I got Delicate Sound of Thunder. His soloing on "Money" was very cool and overall that record was a gateway for me to discover more music where the bass was treated as an equal, and not solely in a supporting role.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I'm with Nicklab on this one.

Getting back to the subject though. NO, I have not received the latest issue. I am in the second year of being screwed by magazine companies. $6 at the stands has kept me from getting many issues this past year.

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

Strange as it may seem, the monotonous quarter-note pulses of Messers Powell and Waters get the job done and both are financially secure because of it. Plus, they don't get in the way of the song, just like the double-bass section in an orchestra lays down a theme for the other instruments to ride on. (or like Cliff Williams of AC/DC) I appreciate their works even though I tend to inhabit the other realm of multi-string/multi-note players.

Still, after a 5-minute browse through the January issue at Barnes and Noble's last night (haven't renewed my subscription just yet) I wasn't moved towards buying that issue. But to be fair (I just came out of seeing "Munich" when I hit the bookstore) I'll give it a second chance later this weekend, though.

:wave:

As I mentioned on the other BP forum, I was offered and accepted a free subscription to BP as part of my MusicPlayer Live ticket purchase.

That was some time ago, and I have yet to receive a single issue.

:(

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by clatteramy:

Wow! I can't believe no one has mentioned the editorial!!!

I just took a few minutes to look, because somebody had mentioned it, and when I got mine I scoured it for the article. Kudos again to Tom, Maury, Willie, and the rest for The Adrian Garcia Project. :thu:

ATM

I finally got a chance to read some of the new issue last night. A pretty decent read thus far, although I haven't gotten through everything.

The Adam Clayton article? It was about what I expected it to be. I didn't have high expectations from it, but it's still interesting to see what he has to say.

Mike Dimin's piece was great. One of the better pieces I've read in BP in a while. I'm glad to see someone encouraging individuality of style while maintaining an open mind to new musical ideas.

I have to admit being a little disappointed with the review of the Line 6 Variax 705. Perhaps I should go back and read their review of the Variax 700. Frankly, I think that some things got glossed over in this piece. I wrote it in the thread about that instrument and I'll say it again...the Synth bass sounds did not track that well. They required a degree of deliberation from the player that bordered on serious concentration to get timely attacks. There was also no mention of the crap tuners on this bass. To that effect, I am disappointed with this review.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Congrats to Mike for a great piece !

as for me, well... heck of a way to get in BP.. but hey, i was mentioned and did transcriptions for a past Rick Finch ( KC and the Sunshine Band ) article.

Many thanks to Bill Leigh and my endless gratitute to Maury, Tom C and Sweet Willie and everyone who has prayed for me and shown their incredible kindness.

You guys ARE the coolest people in the world!

ps- Jeremy, you kill me , bro. I LOVE your rants !

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Originally posted by David King:

I've never waited longer for an issue to show up.

So they didn't send you one ahead o ftime so that you could see what they were going to say in their review of your OH -SO- SWEET headless bass? I think their review of that was rather nice. The Variax review relied a bit too much on their prior review of the 4-string model. I'll further rely on Nicklab's personal experience with this model.

Major kudo's to Bill for his editorial and mentioning the guys who set up the fund for Adrian.

The Adam Clayton article wasn't bad; he didn't come off as pretentious and self-important as I thought he might; he admits he's not a bass virtuoso.

And the last page was... ok, I guess. :thu:

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I read the editorial...

I was very happy to see our getz76 / Sweet Willie and Tom Capasso mentioned....well deserved accolades...

I enjoyed the article on the guy who played on the Al Green tracks.. forgot his name but they did a nice job with Al...

www.danielprine.com

Archived