Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT- xm sateliitle radio rant

bassaddik

Am I just dumb?

recently while on a road gig, the band's drivers had xm satellite radio equipped vans. I was diggin' it! Nice Jazz stations with REAL jazz and great fusion station playing all the goodies.

I have been thinking about that for a while now, so i went looking into it and they had a unit for $28 ( and $12.95 a month subscription fee ) that they said had the same qulaity as the much more expensive models- tune it in to an FM frequency and sounds great, the guy at Circuit City said.. piece 'o cake!

so i bought the thing.. came home, opened the box ( one of those plastic melted things that will rip your hand open if you don't use a knike or scissors ) and start the installion process. Now the first surprise was when it said," for best sound quality , hard wire the unit , some car stereos may have an input jack.." well, my Jeep does not.. then it says, second best quality, use the cassette adapter ( ok , i have a cassette player, didn't really want to use the adapter and have another wire hanging there, but if it sounds best.. ok.

Then at the end of the installation instructions it goes into the antenna install.... this is where it got good.

Well, the antenna has to be on the roof of the car, outside.. now, what is this? and why don't they tell you at the store you have to drill a hole in your car ( yeah, right! ) - or follow the access from the fm antenna - i looked under the hood.. good luck!

so, a trip back to the store to ask the guy why he didn't tell me- he acted like "it is so simple, you must be dumb. what kind of bass do you play?' - simple? ok, YOU do it for me. "oh, we have a professional installion service" - ok, how much?

after few minute the installation guru comes and says "$156.75"-

REAAAALLY? to install a $28 unit?

I was so set to enoy some good music.. then to top it off, genius me has no idea what he did with the receipt in in hour- so i guess I AM dumb?

who has this system? how did you get that antenna wired in?

I am bummin' - b mad because there is so much bs'ing that goes on. He could have just said " Dude, wiring the antenna is tricky"

ok, I'm done.. thanks. ;)

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to ehar that Adrian, both the xm system and the attitude you had to put up with. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the xm system. I do have expereicen with the type of people you mention, and they really can bring you down even on your best day.

Hopefully you won't let it get to you too much, and at least it was only a loss of 28 dollars, though the system could be really cool. I know that I've seen xm "boomboxes" before too, so that you can live without installation in your car.

I'm guessing you have some pretty awesome music to listen to in the meanwhile too. A little bit of Hideaway always does me good, that music can't help but cheer you up! Speaking of which, I got a chance to hear the recording of Silent night that you made, Very cool stuff there.

Hope those guys didn't get to you Adrian, I'm sure you're stronger than that.

well, the cat said they all need that external antenna- found the receipt, and i will try to find a system with a built in antenna-

it really didnt get me so bad.. but its if i sold you a bass, and later i would say " i didn't know you wanted STRINGS on it!

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

The instructions that came with mine said to put the antenna on the roof.

(I paid $300 for the hardware to use in both my car and my car stereo).

The installation was free at Circuit City and the guy put the antenna on the dash. I asked what about the instructions and he said don't worry about it. It's worked great for a few years now.

Once the mount that holds the main unit on my between seats console broke and I went back to the store and they gave me a new one...no receipt asked for, no questions.

My son has his antenna on the roof...I think the wire goes under the hatchback lid...I don't think a hole was drilled....it doesn't work any better or any worse than mine.

I do use the cassette adapter thingy. I probably won't listen to tapes again anyway. My son's car doesn't have a cassette so he got the thing that transmits the signal to the FM radio.

We're both happy campers. Listen for me playing the theme music for XM72 as a bass solo. They play it every once in a while.

Don't take those instructions so seriously, Adrian.

I have the unit, the Roady 2, the same one you have.

I just toss that antenna right up on the dash. Actually, I use the magnet to stick it to the VIN plate.

I plug the adapter in the cig. lighter and use 88.9 on my radio. Works pretty good, except when I'm at TCU in Ft. Worth, where a local station gives me crosstalk. And there are wires all over the place.

This way, I can take the thing out and put it in my wife's van as well.

If you go through the menu you'll see "Antenna Aiming" which will give you the strength of the satellite signal and the terrestial signal (in big cities, XM has ground repeaters installed to get the signal to travel around tall buildings.)

You can spin the antenna around to get a stronger signal, but what happens when you turn a corner? And if the thing is mounted externally, how could you re-aim on the fly?

I sometimes get a cut-out going under a bridge, sometimes not. If it loses the signal, it searches for a terrestrial antenna. I also am changing my drive-through resturant choices, since some of them block the signal!

I find myself listening to the news and public station a lot, and the "Seventies" channel. And the comedy.

You'll find that XM theme to get annoying in all it's incarnations after a while...kinda spins randomly through your head all day, like "Last Song" by Edward Bear.

As far as channels go, I miss the "Discovery" Channel, but I'll bet they increase their programming selection to compete with Howard Stern's Sirius next month.

The Roady series is on closeout, being replaced by a smaller, sleeker unit. That means the accessories are also becoming scarce.

I went to get the home kit pretty quickly...comes with an antenna and power adapter for $30. I also went to Best Buy and for $70 got the portable adapter...a plastic box with a recharge battery pack and headphones with built in antenna. I can use the thing like a Walkman now.

The accessory I really want ($170, last time I looked) is the boom box with 8 hr recharge battery. But it's Christmas time, and I don't want to spend money on myself! Still, gotta get the Roady gear before it disappears.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I got it for my wife as a gift last year.

Got installation taken care of by Best Buy. The antenna is on the trunk lid of her car.

You have rec'd great tips from others on this thread already.

XM72 is a terrific fusion station. The jazz stations are also really good. I also like a couple of the R&B stations as well, but I always forget which ones (Soul Street, the Groove, and others).

Good luck getting this all resolved.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

you guys rock! spent about an hour and a half.... the antenna works just fine on the dashboard by the vin plate ( gotta love the instructions telling you it has to be outside- i laid it outside and then back inside, no change in quality )

as it turns out, i did a nice install, no visible wires, everything tucked in nice and neat, and now i have some music to listen to when i drive and i get bored with my cd's- thanks for listening to my rant and to those who said it works just fine inside-

and to the installers at Circuit City,,, :bor:

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Sweet Willie, that was very thoughtful of you to "got it for my wife as a gift". :D I got my wife a Husqvarna chain saw as a gift, along with a cordless drill. They don't realize how much time we spend thinking about them.

www.ethertonswitch.com

Originally posted by way2fat:

Sweet Willie, that was very thoughtful of you to "got it for my wife as a gift". :D

Hey, just 'cause I've got my own bank of presets on the receiver doesn't mean that it wasn't a selfless effort on my part! I mean, hey, she does drive the car a heckuva a lot more than I do since I commute via public transportation! :P

The follow-up gift of the XM boombox so that we can use the receiver at home too was just as selfless. :rolleyes:;)

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's all about spreadin' the luv. :D

Congrat, Adrian! May you enjoy that XM heartily!

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

while we are in such a giving mood, since i sold a couple of basses that weren't getting played, i bought my ex wife a new Mike Lull MV5 and i am going to keep it here for her in case she ever decides to come back to Nevada to see the dogs...

i tshould arrive next week. ( the bass, not the ex )

in the meanwhile, i will break it in because everyone know a BRAND new bass is cold and sterile ...

I am glad i can keep such an open mind about these things, so i feel you, my brothers!

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

This is so nice of you guys looking after your loved ones like that!

It makes me want to head down the the music store to buy her that Stingray I've (...I mean she's) been eyeing of for so long!

:thu:

:D

Anyhoo - back on topic, what's this XM radio business all about? Like pay TV for radio?

Sounds cool - although I haven't heard of it being available in Australia yet.

Adrian,

I have had XM Radio for over one year, and move the Roady 2 receiver from vehicle to vehicle.

Currently, it is in my Jeep Rubicon and have the antenna on the dash board. Also using the FM transmission feature since the Jeep has no cassette deck.

It works just fine.

Sometimes I have signal loss but this is only when I pass by very tall buildings or am in very dense foresty areas.

BTW: I am in Detroit-area so a much higher latitude then you are in Las Vegas, so your signal should even be better (meaning: less chance of the signal dropping.)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Hmmm... so I guess I'm the only Sirius guy in this forum.

*braces for Madball's bad pun*

And yes, I did go with Sirius simply because I am a Stern fan.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I've had Sirius in rental cars before. They've got a killer hip-hop channel, and if I remember correctly one of the shows on that channel was hosted by Grandmaster Flash.

Overall I prefer XM to Sirius, but I think both options offer some great listening and some nice independence from commercial radio.

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Since Adrian pulled out the pun, I'll let it go. We have STERN rules about the number of puns on a thread.

It will be interesting to see how XM, Sirius, and others (there will be others if there aren't already) do with marketshare.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

OT- Tom, i will try to call you tomorrow- I'm doing ok, I have a dr's appt, so i will know more then- peace!- A

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Archived