Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cream Reunion Concert

Cabbage_the_Bassist

I just watched the Cream Reunion Concert on PBS/WNIN and must say it was awesome. I only know of Cream through BP Magazine and hadn't heard them till now (sorry if the news upsets you) but I was impressed.

Did anyone else see it? :thu:

Cabbage: Pronounced- cuh-bah-ge

Element Broken: www.elementbroken.iwarp.com

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen it, but I've heard the reunion concert. I may just have to buy it as stocking stuffer for a few people, myself included.

Cream and Jack Bruce were one of my first infuences on bass, thanks to my parents. They listened to lot of music from the 60s. I started using the stereo in the den when I was 5, I listened to every record my mom and dad had when they weren't around. Cream, Beatles, and Zep were at the top of the list.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

I caught this at about 4 this morning (insomnia) and enjoyed it. Even though it isn't really my cup of tea, it was enjoyable to finally see JB in action - quite the riff-meister I must say. And Ginger Baker on drums? Love it.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed his playing at the concert - he's a very unique stylist!

Unfortunately, listening late at night I couldn't crank it, and it was through the TV speakers... so I couldn't hear Jack that well.

As far as comparison, I'd have to dig out some old Cream tapes.. and go buy "Wheels of Fire".

I taped it and have not had a chance to watch the whole thing yet. But the little I did see looked fantastic and sounded great. Cream was one of my very first influences As well as Hendrix. Maybe that is why I am always drawn to Trio's like SRV and Rush etc etc. :)

Saw the PBS version and was impressed. I really enjoyed Clapton's playing for once.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Jack's phrasing and tasteful playing never ceases to amaze me.

Really enjoy his singing and how he and Eric Claption's voices complement each others.

I thought the PBS broadcast was great (recorded it on DVR so I have watched it several times now..) and if the DVD is better then--Santa, please get it for me for Christmas!

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

• 1 month later...

I thought Jack was a lot more reserved than he was back in the day. He still sounded great. Clapton was very impressive. When I get the time (HA!!!!) I am going to transcribing any one of his soloes.

I am still not a Ginger Baker fan.

I have the DVD, and I have to say that while the playing of Jack, Eric, and Ginger has mellowed/matured through the years, they have never sounded better. They seemed to play more WITH each other than they did if you listen to old live recordings...maybe it's because the volume was a bit lower? Either way, the reunion was great and long overdue.

Originally posted by chad:

Over on the gtr. forum some people are complaining because Clapton didn't use a Gibson thru a Marshall, his tone wasn't the same, the fire was gone, etc. I didn't see that. Any opinions on Jack Bruce's playing vis-a-vis 37 years ago?

In the BP article Jack says that they didn't attempt to recreate their old sound by using the same amps, guitars, etc. They wanted to play the way they sound now. So they used the instruments and amps they use now.

Guy

Quote:

---------------------------------------------

They seemed to play more WITH each other than they did if you listen to old live recordings...maybe it's because the volume was a bit lower? Either way, the reunion was great and long overdue.

---------------------------------------------

Nothing to do with the volume. Jack and Ginger were always at each other's throats and its a miracle Cream lasted as long as it did, with all that fighting going on behind the scenes. Clapton eventually called it a day in despair.

I have'nt seen the concert but I think everyone's probably mellowed. It goes with old age (speaking from experience).

I haven't heard/watched the whole thing, but Jack's harmonica on "Rolling and Tumbling" was pretty bad in comparsion with other versions I've heard.

To generalize, Jack and Ginger both played with excellent taste, but far less energy than they used to, which is understandable. Clapton seemed to have more of the juice.

Jack's voice is still good, Clapton's vocal technique is greatly improved, but I still don't like his voice. It's too contrived, rings too phony to my ear.

I have the double dvd but haven't got past a handful of songs. I was bitterly disappointed because it just sounds so ... dull.

Sorry to say but they sound like a bunch of old farts who don't even attempt to bring any kind of variation on the rawk.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• 2 weeks later...

I heard this some more, and I'm really disappointed by Ginger's drumming. He was so inventive and original, but on the RAH concert his bass drum is just SO pedestrian. By contrast, I've listening to Cream's "BBC Live" steadily for months. Just a HUGE difference between the two.

The whole thing sounds WAY too polished, which is the opposite of what good blues sounds like. There's just not much edge to the way they play.

But that didn't stop me from ordering a Cream t-shirt. I proudly advertise their wares on my chest.

I've gotten the same impression about the DVD and CD releases. It's strange though, since the date when I saw Cream play was actually quite different from what I saw and heard on the DVD. All around, the band seemed much more at Madison Square Garden than in the recordings from the Royal Albert Hall. I'm hoping very much that the New York shows were recorded.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived