Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp question

Incognito

As I am looking into my first big amp I had a question. I see many different types of amp/cab combos.

What are the pros and cons of having a setup like an Ampeg SVTCL paired up with 2 cabinets like a 1 x 18" and a 2 x 12" (or an El Whappo Grande & an El Whappo) versus just having a 6 x 10" or an 8 x 10".

I am not very technical so just basic terms please.

Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most important thing to remember, whether you're technical or not, is that there are many more important factors than the size of the speakers that determine how the cab sounds. Furthermore, there's more to choosing a cab than the sound - how loud it will go is important, as is how big/heavy it is.

With current technology and small/medium gigs, or large gigs with PA support, you should be able to get great sound with nothing bigger/heavier than a <100lbs 4x10" sized cab.

What do you use at the moment? What are your current and likely future gigging situations? What kind of music do you play?

Alex

This may not exactly be the answer to your question, but i have been thinking recently about what type of amp i would buy if i was in the market for one now. Basically, i concluded that i would get a clean sounding amp (SVT, Gallien etc.) and get a preamp to go with it if i needed to beef up or colour the sound. Just a thought, but You might consider this before spending the big bucks.

Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5, Fernandes LEB-2

Ashdown ABM-300, Ashdown ABM 4x10

That could be a nice rig - which Ampeg 4x10"? Why the big tube head?

What are you currently using? What band/gigs?

Alex

P.S. Maybe it's just me being quaverey (that's a little crotchety - I'll get my coat...) but whenever I ask questions when responding to an post/query, there is a reason for it, and I'd like all of them answered. You put in the effort and I'll do likewise. Otherwise it's like giving directions to London, without knowing where the recipient is starting!

They're awfully heavy rigs - may seem cool initially, but IME one gets tired of cartage. If you do want something big and loud that can handle outdoor gigs, I'd look at the Bergantino 610 or 215. Respectively a lighter, louder, clearer and all round better version of the old Ampeg 810, and a fat yet tight 2x15" monster with a midrange speaker for added clarity.

But both these cabs are total overkill for small gigs - as would be an SVT-412. And I think you'll find the SVT-18 brings more muddy annoyance than supportive bottom in most situations. Two smaller cabs which can be used singly or together, is a very versatile rig.

The SVT-CL is a great head when it comes to being heard and getting good sound effortlessly. Slightly limited in its abilities - not enough power for deep truely clean bass, or clear enough for more modern sounds. Big downside is the weight - you could get an equally loud solidstate head for less money and a fifth of the weight. (Just in case of what? Shortage of boat anchors?)

Big question that's been missed - budget? Minimum/maximum?

With Ampeg you are paying for the name, and for all those endorsees that get free gear. With the smaller makers you're much more likely to get what you pay for - and usually better customer service in case of incident. The downside is that it's harder to track down the gear to try, or you have to buy it and take a risk on return shipping (well worth it though, when you consider how much better the gear is than your generic Ampeg, Fender, SWR etc).

Alex

That's loads - the world is your oyster.

What's your view on size/weight? Would you like a rig that you can move on your own?

Alex

P.S. Personally I suspect you might prefer a lightweight rig, even if you don't realise it now, because you're out battling the waves and whales three days a week, and if that was me I'd want music to be about the music, not the exercise at start and end...

You might want to try the SVTCL pre-amp with a Stewart, for example, power amp. You'll have six or seven times the power, depending on the model and weigh 25-30 lbs. minus the rack, and over $1500 to spend on cab(s).

www.ethertonswitch.com

No reason I can think of other than price not to go with high quality separates. Bass amps have come a long way since the venerable GK's and SVT's. Check out the search function and plug in "my rig" to get a idea of what some of the folks around here are using. There will probably be a lot of links to high quality bass related manufacturers that you haven't heard of. Ampeg and GK are old and respected names in the world of bass amps, but with your budget you can do a lot better. But hey, the journey's the thing.

www.ethertonswitch.com

An appealing pair, with a great mix of old skool punch and fatness, and modern clarity and loudness:

http://www.bergantino.com/ex112-ht210_home_page.jpg

And how about one of these lovely lightweight yet loud amps:

http://www.thunderfunk.com/images/TFB550_full.jpg

Alex

You can do a lot with $2,500. I am in the process of tweaking my rig a bit. I like thigs small, light and portable. I don't need tons of volume or chest thumping tone. I tend to play small to medium venues, often with PA support.

I have a Bergantino HT112 that has handled all my needs just fine. Indoor, outdoor, with and without PA support. That's me. You may need more.

I am seriously thinking of going to a PodXT for my preamp, effects, etc. For an amp I am thinking about an AI Focus SA. 450 watts at 8 ohms and 4 pounds.

When you shop, think about what you need, not what everyone else has. Everyone has different needs. Don't get too hung up on brands and others opinions. It is good to ask for advice and oprinoins, but it's just that. I would suggest you think about size and weight, though. It's never to early to think about your back.

The most important thing to remember is to not buy a cab that switches between 4 anf 8 ohms.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Agreed with Getz - Dont rush!

Also, go on cab at a time - there should be no need for a grande and a whappo. The whappo and pa support could play most any place besides very large venues. Also, you should really take into account weight and portability. Take your time, read reviews, and most importantly test the amps you are considering.

Archived