Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What bass is (s)he playing?

EddiePlaysBass

Right, so my googling powers have abandoned me this time around, but I figured this MIGHT be an interesting thread if more people have a similar question.

Here goes: what bass is Sting playing in the video to "Message In A Bottle" ? It's a fretless, it's a beauty and I want it :D

[edit] Here is a pic of him sporting it.

Anyone have a clue, or likewise have a similar question? Power to the LowDown !!! I bet someone knows !!

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to have one of those. Great basses, but the electronics were a little suspect. Swapped the stock pickups out for some EMGs and my employers couldn't have been happier.

Cmon Eddie ! Steve Harris play a Musician in early records/videos. Judgin by your nick/avatar, you know who is Steve Harris.

PD: Sting and Steve Harris move from Musician to Presicion, I never play an Ibanez Musician, I must assume both basses are in the same path.

belazaras, yeah I know who Steve Harris is :D My latest band is trying to get me to learn the entire "Number Of The Beast" album. They think it'd be fun to do a Dream Theater and cover it in its entirety :freak:

That's what you get for playing with teenagers :D

Ehm, let me rephrase that :freak: That's what you get for being in a band with teenagers. Yeah, slightly better :D

Anyway, it's a really nice bass and I'd like to have one someday, if they're still made.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I'd love an Ibanez Musician, Studio or Roadster (NOT RoadstAr) bass, but they're a bit expensive over here.

A couple of months ago I watched a Musician get bid up on eBay to £830.00.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Yup, that is definitely a Musician.

I had a 1981 Roadster (not RoadstAr).

It was one of the heaviest basses I've ever picked up. It played well enough, but I traded it in on a P-bass that I'm in love with.

I checked the shop I traded it in to... it didn't even last 24 hours before someone picked it up!

Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

Anyway, it's a really nice bass and I'd like to have one someday, if they're still made.

They've been discontinued for quite some time now. But keep your eyes on e-bay, they show up there from time to time.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

• 9 months later...
Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

Right, got a new one here. Bassist is Tye Zamora from Alien Ant Farm. What bass is he playing? Sorry, can't find a better pic than that one ...

I believe that's a Ken Lawrence "Brase" bass. As good as it gets, apparently. :thu:
(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Late or not, I would just like to say that I used to have a fretless Musician bass, 1984 model, that I loved and still regret selling. The electronics were awesome, no problems ever.

Really regret that sale. Really do.

I would just like to say that while I am not that familiar with all the Roadstar models having played only a few, I have found most of them to be quite nice.

I will also say that my Roadstar II basses are the bee's knees.

23 skidoo.

I am also pretty sure that Tye Zamora worked for Ken Lawrence basses for a minute or so.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Another Ibanez bass very similar to the Musician is the 'Studio'.

I have a Studio ST-105 guitar (1979) and it is superbly built, plays magnificently and weighs a ton. I'd love to be able to afford the matching pair - but (a) they seem to be rare although there also seems to be more 8 than 4 strings, and (b) I can't afford one any more than I can afford a Musician.

:0(

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

My first fretless was an Ibanez Musician which I only sold a few years ago so that someone else could relish its capabilities. It had genuine "mwah" and I liked the ability to bypass the preamp. The weight was a little uncomfortable for me as I got older, but it was beautiful to look at as well as play.

Archived