Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NYC Trip

Wally Malone

NYC Lowdowners, I'll be coming to NYC November 1-5. The 1st & 5th are travel days. I'm still not sure of the schedule of meetings but think there should be some evening time Wed., Thur. & Fri. Is anyone performing on those nights? The AFM office is in Times Square. What time are the music stores in the area open to. Looking forward at the possibility of meeting up with a few of you.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could maybe make Tues or Wed night work. I recommend Jimmy Coppolo's shop on W. 49th St. or Rudy's on W. 48th -- both in easy reach from Times Sq. I could maybe do a music shop and a meal after work one of those nights.

Mon nights Oz Noy usually plays w/ Will Lee or James Genus at the Bitter End. Thurs nights Wayne Krantz is often at the 55 Bar w/ Anthony Jackson, James Genus, Tim Lefevbre (sp?), or others.

Maury puts on a good show. I haven't heard the new band yet.

To those who have yet to meet Wally -- he is a great guy (like the vast majority of LDLers) and great bassist (like some of us are and some of us aspire to be!). It is worth making the time to try to catch up with him.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I believe most of the stores close around 7.

I should be able to manage whatever night works. I had been trying to hold out for Maury, but whatever.

I've also met Wally, and he's worth the trip ;)

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

For printed music, Colony Music is open until 1am. They're on B'way @ 49th. It's a worthwhile stop.

Too bad I won't be back in NYC until 11/16.

Here are links to the more famous jazz clubs, Wally:

www.bluenote.net Prepare for $30-45 covers, a 1 hour set, $6 beers, and tight table seating, but they book only the best. I caught Bebel Gilberto there in Sept. and she was amazing!

www.iridiumjazzclub.com It's on B'way @ 51st. Les Paul plays every Monday, the Mingus Big Band on Tuesdays (performance can sometimes be rough but worth seeing). On 11/3, Ed Palermo's big band is playing Zappa.

www.villagevanguard.com

www.jazzstandard.com They serve excellent BBQ from Blue Smoke restaurant upstairs. Though they don't book as many "top names" as Blue Note or the Vanguard, Richard Bona absolutely killed me there last winter.

www.smokejazz.com Smoke is hit or miss and the better known artists play Fri-Sat only.

I now know that Wednesday night is out, dinner with the AFM President. I get in at 7 p.m. on Tuesday and have a 4 p.m. flight on Saturday at La Guardia. So it looks like Thursday & Friday nights are free and possibly be able to do something on Saturday. It looks like with others schedules I may have to meet up a couple different times to see more of you. It looks like some of you may be going to Maury's gig, let me know who all will be there. Dan, if possible a trip to Sadowsky's would be fun.

Wally

Thurs night is out for me. :(

Fri night I have plans, but might be able to hang for a little bit right after work -- i.e., early evening.

Don't know how your days are, but I'm happy to take you to "lunch" at Jimmy Coppolo's shop on either of those days... :thu:

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Wally (and whoever else would like to join) maybe Friday afternoon about three..

I can probably get off from work early and meet you at a place TBD..

We can head over to Brooklyn and visit Sadowskys shop...while in Bklyn we can also go to Grimaldis for some great pizza....

I am also thinking about going to the Bowery Ballroom on Friday nite to see The Mississippi Allstars...

Let me know if this works....

www.danielprine.com

What would I do with a lapdance? Buy me a cranberry and ginger ale instead.

I'm still looking OK for Thursday. Not sure yet about Friday - just found out I have relatives who will be in town. 3:00? Hmmm - I wouldn't be home then anyway.....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I got to hang out with Wally, 57pbass, and getz76 yesterday evening. We met at Rudy's and ended up across the street in the bass room at Manny's. Played a little and shot the breeze for a bit.

I liked a G&L Tribute L-2000 the best of what we played. Although we also played couple of nice Deans. I was less impressed w/ a Fender Marcus Miller bass.

It was great to have Wally in town, and nice to see him again after a couple of years of not crossing paths in person. Lots of AFM stuff going on for him these days.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

As Willie stated life has gotten even a little more busy for me as I took on a bigger load with the AFM. The good part of that is I'll get the opportunity to do more traveling and catch up with more Lowdowners. I'll be going back to NYC in February and will also get to Chicago that month as well. It was a real treat to see Tom, Maury, Willie & Dan. On Thursday Tom and I met up and went to see Maury on his gig and as Tom posted we got to hold Maury's Lull in our hands. It's an incredibly lite bass. I enjoyed Maury's playing as well, and as Tom stated it was Maury's crowd that night. It was great to see Willie again and meet Dan for the first time on Friday at Sam Ash's & Manny's. Maury joined us as well. I really liked the Dean EUB that we all put our hands on, it was actually real easy to play. I've got to go get a little practicing in before hitting the sack tonight, have to get up early to go vote in the California special election and help defeat King Arnold's Proposistions before heading in to San Jose for our Local 153 Board Meeting.

Again it was really great to see all of you in NYC and looking forward to catching up again in February.

Wally

Archived