Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pick one

EZ

:cool: I have to get a 4-10 cabinet here is what is available. Genz Benz, Ampeg, Hartke, SWR, and Peavey. I know I have to spend some money so any suggestions would be very welcomed.
If you smell something stinking, it's juz me, I'm funky like that

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get a fifteen. They're WAY better!

Just kidding. Couldn't resist.

:D

But seriously...

Which ever cab you truly prefer the sound of, is usually the best choice. But I would suggest that you consider a pair of 2x10s, instead of a single 4x10. A pair of 2x10s is a much more versatile set up.

This is the 4x10 rig I most often use for medium-size rooms...

http://www.nova4x4.com/uploads/021205/ministack.jpg

Peavey 4X10 TVF. No better cab for the dollar on the planet.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

That may have seemed a facetious entry, but if none of its other pluses are considered it still has a GREAT advantage as a single cab - vertical placement - which sounds more coherent/even across the stage and dance floor, and the extra height it afford is enough to actually have some of that reaching your haid when you are fairly close to the cab while still allowing that one of the two woofers gets decent acoustical coupling with the floor for tight yet full bass. This cab design even makes ones' head or rack high enough to tweak without bending down ; }

Originally posted by greenboy:

This cab design even makes ones' head or rack high enough to tweak without bending down ; }

... And we know how important this is if you're playing prison gigs or/and in Sweden.
(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Nah, Lug actually makes a usefull post now and then, I try not to bother.

To not to stray too far from the topic, I'd pick SWR, because they're the only cabs I have any hands-on experience on (Goliath III).

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Well, I didn't feel constrained by the listed choices when recalling EZ's posts of around a week ago. If one wants a small-to-mid-sized box that has a pretty good balance of lows, mids, and highs, and a design that makes it easier to actually hear that close up, I think the GB neoX212 is one of the best 2-way designs around.

Some of those taller Bergantinos are pretty cool too.

Originally posted by Pernax:

Nah, Lug actually makes a usefull post now and then,

You have any proof of this wild claim?

At church I use a Hartke 4x10 with an ampeg bass-head and I really enjoy it. The sound is great and you get a great range of tone. I own an SWR, it's not a 4x10 but it still sounds great, I can't image what it'll sound like if it was a cab.

"All things are possible through Christ." (Matt 19:26)

My band: http://www.purevolume.com/fadingsilence

I tried a Peveay 210TVX and it sounded nice it was used, but in good condition they want $269.00 for it. I really don't know much about the new stuff out now, so how good is peveay? It's 4ohms 175rms, my head is also 4ohms. Ok all you gearheads help a bro out.

410TVX.

It gets loud, eats power, and goes way deep.

It is very, very heavy though.

How much power does your head put out at 4 ohms? Is the head 2 ohm stable?

If the head isn't 2 ohm stable, I wouldn't get that Peavey 210. It is a 4 ohm cab and you won't be able to add another cab without stressing your head. If you only have a 210 you WILL want to add another cab.

Peavey makes inexpensive gear. It isn't "cheap" as far as quality is concerned though.

Many of the people here started with Peavey gear. Many of us still play with Peavey gear. They make good solid state amps, have a really cool 1 u poweramp, and make good cabinets.

No fancy, frilly stuff for the most part, just solid, basic gear that will last.

Originally posted by EZ:

I tried a Peveay 210TVX and it sounded nice it was used, but in good condition they want $269.00 for it. I really don't know much about the new stuff out now, so how good is peveay? It's 4ohms 175rms, my head is also 4ohms. Ok all you gearheads help a bro out.

Seems a bit pricey to me for a peavey 2X10. I bought a peavey 4X10TXF new for $425 and a used 4x10TX for $200.

Originally posted by NUTT:

[QB] 410TVX.

My head is an Acoustic 370 it is 275 at 4 ohm, and 365 at 2 ohms

i would go with the hartkes personally but thats becase i own a really nice 4-10 transporter good sound and really light to carry. carvin's are really nice tot (being as you said suggestions were welcome and all)
hmmm...

Genz Benz - Never Tried one

Ampeg - RAWKS!!!!!

Hartke - Sound tinny

SWR - Never been impressed with the sound

Peavey - Same as SWR, not impressed

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Originally posted by EZ:

Originally posted by NUTT:

My head is an Acoustic 370 it is 275 at 4 ohm, and 365 at 2 ohms
Well.. since you can run down to 2 ohms....

Try to find a pair of 4 ohm 210's or a 210 and a 115. You'll be able to do the "modular" thing and haul what you need.

Just my .02

I can get the Peavey 2-10tvx, for the same price it will cost to get the Avatar b2-10 which one is the better 2-10? $250. that is how much it will cost with shipping.

For the money you cant beat a Peavey 410TVX.

In fact two weeks ago I was going to buy a complete new rig. I ended up with an Eden WT800B for the head. I took my Peavey 410TVX to see just how much better the Eden cabs would sound, and guess what...they didnt. This is not what I expected. I expected the Eden 410's (XLT & XST) to blow away my lowly Peavey 410's, but they didnt. In fact, my 410TVX sounded far superior to the Eden 410XLT and slightly better than the Eden 410XST.

Why pay out the nose for equipment when you dont have to.

Believe me, I feel much better about saving over $800 having not to buy a new 410 cab.

I play what sounds good, and to me the Peavey 410TVX is an excellent deal.

P.S. I have used the Peavey 410TVX the past two Tuesday for practice. The 410TVX is rated at 4 ohms, I have the WT800B in bridged mode and can call on approx 1100 watts. The TVX handled everything the amp could throw at it without distorting or farting...and its loud.

Good luck on your search

ikestr

...hertz down low....

Archived