Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HELP ME????!!!??? NO SOUND!!!!111!!!1

g.

HELP IM NEW HEAR N I BOT ONE OF THEM AMPEG BASE SPEeKERS WITH 8 15" IN IT AT LEAST THATS WOT THE GUY SED IT WUZ ........ N WHEN MY HOMEBOYZ N ME GOT IT OUT TO TEH PARKING LOT IT WOODNT FIT IN MY HONDA CIVIC EVN WITHOUT US!!!!!!111111!! SO I CULLED MY DAD N HE COULDNT GET IT INTO HIS SUV EITHER!!!111 SO HE WENT HOME AND GOT HIZ WORK TRUCK(!!!111!)

N NOW THAT I HAVE IT IN THE BASSMENT BCOZ IT BROKE THRU MY BEDROOM FLOOR UPSTAIRZ I PLUGD MY BASE INTO ONE OF THOSE 2 JACK THINGIES IN THE BACK N ---- THERE WAS NO SOUND!!!!!!!11111!!!!!!11!!!!1111

ALSO I COODNT FIND NONE OF THEM NOBS I SEE SOME AMPS HAVE ON TEEV SO MY BUDDY SED PLUG IT INTO THE OTHER ONE STOOPID SO I DID BUT STILL ----- NO SOUND!!!!111!!!!!

MY HELP I NEED NOW IZ DID THE GUY RIP ME OFF HE LOOKED LIKE A REAL HIPPY BAND GUY AND ALL BUT???!?!?!?! NO SOUND!!!!!111!!! OR WUZ IT FALLING THROUGH THE FLOOR ONTO THE BASSMENT THAT MADE IT BAD??!?!?! SHOOD I TRY TO GET MY MONEY BACK???!?!?!? ALSO I NEED HELP BECAUSE THE WHEELS BROKED OFF WHEN IT FELL THRU THE FLOORR AND WE KENT GET IT UPSTAIRS TO TOW BEHIND MY CIVIC WHICH I FIGURED OUT THIS NEEAT TRICK WITH ROPE AND CHAINS.

ANYWAY HELP!!! ???

inspired by a post seen on another forum this morning, and a few more here and there and then

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

I saw a post asking for help in plugging in your bass. Luckily I'm a bass instructor, working via the Internet. Let me give you a free lesson (you can get the whole package of 10 easy to follow lessons for just 39,95) to get you started:

Lesson 1: Plugging in your bass (Free)

Part 1: Turning it on

First, make sure you have the following equipment to get you started:

1) An instrument cable

2) A bass amplifier

Next, consult figure 1 (displayed below), look for the following on your bass amplifier:

a) Power switch

b) Input jack

http://www.helionprog.com/pics/temp/lesson.jpg

Once you have located a) and b), it's time to get rocking! Remember the power switch we talked about previously in the lesson? Start by making sure your bass amplifier is NOT turned on. You can choose wheter you want the amplifier to be ON or OFF by selecting the wanted operating mode with the switch.

Pro's tip: If you can't read, you can ask your mother to read for you when she brings you your crackers and chocolate milk.

Try switching your amp ON and OFF 10 times; start slowly and then increase speed as you get more comfortable with the switch. That's it, you're doing great! Now it's time to move to a more diffucult task:

Part 2: Plugging it in

Next we'll move on to plugging your instrument cable to the amplifier. First, pick up your instrument cable, and locate the 1/4" plug on either end of the cable.

Pro's Tip: If you have trouble locating the plug, you can buy a new cable from the nearest Radio Shack! Just ask the salesman to point the plug for you and keep it between your thumb and your index finger as you get back home.

While keeping the plug firmly in your hand, locate the input jack on your amplifier. You can use your free hand's index finger to point to the input jack - that way you won't lose it even if you take your eyes off your amplifier! Once you're familiar with the location of the input jack, it's time to make the actual connection. Be sure to read the instructions carefully, as this is where things get tricky!

Take the plug, and place it into the input jack. Press it in until the silver colored part of the plug is no longer visible. Once you've done that, you can congratulate yourself for being well on your way on becoming a real professional!

This concludes our lesson, but if you'd like to continue, you can order the full package by sending an email to the following address: treedy-gurd@onlinebass.con

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

I saw the thread in the other forum. Truly hilarious stuff.

Buy a 6x10" cabinet and try to stuff it in a Honda Civic. After an hour at the music store, you get it in. Get home, and taking it out breaks your seat, windshield, and other assorted goodies in the vehicle.

Brilliant!

You definitely need to recalibrate your ohmage. First, find out if your amp is rated in American watts or European watts (1.17 Euros to 1 Amer. is the current exchange rate, I think). Then, if you don't have at least 1000 watts in your speakers, you need to buy bigger speakers. This is where ohmage comes in. There's some math involved but a good rule of thumb is to buy the biggest speakers you can and the biggest amp you can. This will allow you to fit as many ohms you can in your amplifier.

Also, is your bass passive or 5-string? Whichever one it is will determine how many feet your cable should be. Microphone cable is best because it goes farthest, but you can get adapters that go from the 1-pointy to the 3-pointy kind, then you're set.

1) TalkBass is where the noobs go after getting flamed for starting one too many Thisandthat vs. Blargyfarg or the ever popular "Buy my gear" threads.

2) Someone with that amp and a Ric should be able to puke enough cash to get a truck or something. Especially if they are in a band and gigging.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Holy Quacamole you've got to be kidding me!!

This following excerpt is taken straight from the tb thread:

...a 4x10 and a 2x10 combined would seem to give you ...loading/carrying/flexibility options you don't currently have.

Wasn't there a thread earlier about someone cutting a 2x10 in half to get 2 1x10 cabs? :) "

OK, obiously a joke right?

....but then...a response....

"Wow, I hope he cut it the right way and didn't cut his speakers in half!

Hey, I once busted a Honda Accords windshield with a 2x10, so I'm very impressed you got a 6x10 in a Civic!"

I sincerely hope this was a joke, but I'm just not sure............

Originally posted by jeremy c:

You need one of these:

http://members.aol.com/jeremyzone3/cable.jpg

(my contribution to a useless thread)

Consider this stolen for use on another forum in a galaxy far far way. :D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I wouldn't make this into an LDLD/talkbass thing - there are people over there, and subjects discussed with great depth with some heavy knowledge behind them. Look at some of the players, luthiers, amp and cab people, and just plain experience that is represented over there in that large experiential pool.

Talkbass isn't a bad forum, just different.

I prefer this place, but mostly it is because I know some of the folks here and have personal connections. Kind of like having a favorite bar...

They have some solid contributors over at TalkBass, too, though. Jim Bergantino posts pretty regularly, for example.

Originally posted by getz76:

Talkbass isn't a bad forum, just different.

I prefer this place, but mostly it is because I know some of the folks here and have personal connections. Kind of like having a favorite bar...

They have some solid contributors over at TalkBass, too, though. Jim Bergantino posts pretty regularly, for example.

Not to mention the heavyweights over in the double bass forums: Arnold Schnitzer, Jeff Bollbach, etc.

Tis true, there is some good stuff going on at talkbass. I even spotted Maury down there in the amp section. There's actually a lot of solid info there, as well some serious players and serious gear.

For me though, the LDLD feels like home, I know a lot of the people here through interaction. It feels like a small town compared to a big city. i mean what do you expect there are going to be more...ahem.."n00bs" in the big city so to speak.

Maury....the Rob Allen with foam, do tell.

P.S. I find it kind of ironic that during the period in which my rob allen is being built I'm learning how to play upright bass. Heck, I might even learn how to play tuba!

When I bought my last compact I brought the upright and amp to see if it fit. You know that dood had a funny look on his face when I started loading stuff into the car. He got this goofy look and said I needed to pay him first. I told him I'm not buying if it don't fit, which made him even less comfortable.

Originally posted by getz76:

Making your way in the world today

Takes everything you've got

Taking a break from all your worries

Sure would help a lot

Wouldn't you like to get away

All those nights when you've got no lights

The check is in the mail

And your little angel

Hung the cat up by its tail

And your third fiancée didn't show

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name

And they're always glad you came

You want to be where you can see

Our troubles are all the same

You want to be where everybody knows your name

Roll out of bed, Mr. Coffee's dead

The morning's looking bright

And your shrink ran off to Europe

And didn't even write

And your husband wants to be a girl

Be glad there's one place in the world

You want to go where people know

People are all the same

You want to go where everybody knows your name

;)

"It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing milk-bone underwear." - Norm Peterson

ATM

*sigh*

/*remembers stuffing 2 basses, a 2x10, a 1x15, and a fender bass amp into a 1978 Dodge Colt many years ago....*\

*sighs again*

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Originally posted by Social Critic:

Someone with that amp and a Ric should be able to puke enough cash to get a truck or something. Especially if they are in a band and gigging.

you mean someone 17 with that rig should've whind until his parents bought him something a little more practical than a civic. oh well. this is what happens when you think 2FaSt2FuRiOuS RoOlZ. $5 says that bitch gots the hot hot neons under the side panels.

the crackers highlights from "that other forums" thread:

1: i play metal so i have to be loud alot.

2: i don't think an ampeg would be as loud as ....

3: remove the passenger seat from the civic

4: can you pull a small trailer with the civic?

wow.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Archived