Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Impossible to fix?

tucker71

I have an early 90ies Fender Jazz 5 (made in the USA)

My question is, I've had the neck adjusted. I've had it professionally set-up, and all that. What can be done to bring my Low B back to life. It just doesn't respond or behave like the other strings.

I've played a million 5 stings in my life but, something aboot THIS bass just doesnt wanna be played. It's always something.

If I put on a lefty neck, would that techinally change the scale of that low B (because the string would have to travel further to get to the tuner) OR is all that string space above the nut "wasted".

Also,

I'm sure there a few ppl here that have a 4 string B-E-A-D bass. (no G-string). How does that sound? Does that low B deliever too much tesion on a neck designed for an E?

"I don't play Bass..I play SONGS."

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tucker71,

The scale of a bass is the distance from the nut to the bridge saddle. The string beyond the nut and the bridge saddle has nothing to do with the scale or the tension. In order for a string of a given mass to be tuned to a specific pitch, it must be stretched to the right tension. Period.

If putting lefty necks on basses would improve the sound or "tension" on the B string, don't you think every manufacturer would do that? They don't because they know it doesn't make any difference.

You CAN increase the tension in your strings by putting HEAVIER strings on the bass. Referring back to the first paragraph, a string of HIGHER MASS must be stretched to a higher tension to be tuned to the same pitch as a string of lower mass, all else being equal.

I have a beater bass tuned BEAD. It's a beater bass, and it doesn't sound great no matter what strings on I put on it.

Don't assume that the BEAD strings of a five string set will put a higher tension on the neck than the EADG strings. String manufacturers try to make the tension equal in all the strings, so the neck doesn't warp. They do this by making the higher pitched strings thinner (less mass) and the lower pitched string thicker (more mass), so that when the strings are tuned to approximately the same tension, they will be at the correct pitch. So assuming that the string manufacturer know's what he's doing, the BEAD strings should have the same tension as the EADG strings, all else being equal.

Bruiser

PS Someone will be along shortly to tell you that adding extra turns of string around the peg, or PCB spacers behind the bridge, or some such nonsense, will increase the tension in your B string. Ignore them. :D

And now that we got the Physics 101 lecture out of the way, have you looked at the pickup height? If the pickup is too close to the string, the magnetic field can interfere with the motion of the string. Don't assume closer is better.

Since you say you've "had the neck adjusted" and "had it professionally set-up," it sounds like you're not into doing your own adjustments. This may be time the to learn. You can do a better set-up for yourself than any "professional" can do, because you know what you want to feel in your hands, and hear with your own ears.

Bruiser

Thanks guys.

I just might have to use this Bass as a fixer upper.

Having said that, the pickups are quite high. In fact, you can clearly see where the windings scraped the pickup after a squllion gigs.

I'm def gonna read up on how to fix my own Bass. I'm sure there's a few video tapes and DVDs about basic repair.

I'll do some research and get that sunuvabeetch back out there.

You should be able to do B-E-A-D on a bass that usually is strung E-A-D-G. The one hurdle may be width of the nut slots.

Originally posted by tucker71:

I've played a million 5 stings in my life but, something aboot THIS bass just doesnt wanna be played. It's always something.

It could be THAT bass. It sounds like set-up tweaks might not be the answer.

I'd probably experiment with some different B-strings. I've mixed and matched low Bs from one manufacturer with E-A-D-G from another, sometimes with winning results.

The B may never feel like the other 4 strings. However, try a heavier gauge.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

OBLIQUE SEXIST COMMENT ALERT!!!!

A bass is like a woman,

You have to wine her.

You have to dine her.

You have to provide gifts of chocolates and flowers.

You have to whisper sweet nothings.

You have to treat her like a lady...

And sometimes they STILL smack you with a restraining order!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I'd try some different strings. Try something like DR Highbeams.

Also, it could be a poorly cut nut; Fender is not known for their factory finish on nuts, so if it is the original nut and it is not cut properly, it will screw up the entire sound of the bass.

I'm inclined to agree, go with the strings first. I have two 1990 Fender Jazz 5s (Lace Sensor p/ups and Kubicki-designed preamp) and they're just fine. DR makes a really nice, tight B string that works on 34" scales. I think I paid around $20 for just the B string but it lasted me more than 2 years. The whole set may be even nicer. FYI I'm using Elixers on one of them, the B string is a little looser than I prefer but it's a good set.

Only thing I can recommend different might be a replacement bridge and ferrules so you can run the strings through the body like the modern Fenders. That might tighten things up for you.

I've decided to NOT fix it myself.

I'm giving it to a guy who, apparantly, has worked on guitars for KISS and The Black Crowes.

(You wouldn't believe how many times he mentioned "when I used to work for KISS" or "back when I was workin' for The Crows". It was somehow sad and funny at the same time.)

Aaanyway...he's gonna take a shot at it. Should be done in a week or so.

Bruiser is a correct about the string tension. A very common misconception. Typically a B string will have slightly LESS tention than the G string it replaced. I BEAD'ed a T-40 and all I had to do was slightly widen the nut slots (used a "V" cut so I could go back). That plus a slight intonation adjustment was all I had to do.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Archived