Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Convertible

mjmjm

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting. The bass certainly seems to sound good judging by the downloadable video. I too wonder about the durability of the convert mechanism. Will it remain easy to convert even after it's gets finger grease and other dirt on it over several years?

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Novatone made removable fingerboards almost 30 years ago. You could pop them on and off in a few seconds.

They went out of business.

I'd rather have two basses, I'm looking for a very different sound out of a fretless than out of a fretted bass and also would want different string height and nut height as well.

However, I wish your friend well. We need more inventors.

Originally posted by Matt W:

Convertible... nah. Give me targa.

Neither convertible nor targa unfortunately. What do you call a targa top that made out of a few bits of fabric and aluminium?

Great idea Mike; would love to know how many cycles it's been reliability tested for!

Alex

Very interesting design.Your comment that the inventor had never seen the Steinberger device before prompts me to offer a bit of advice.

1) Do a US Patent search. Just because no one has marketed a similar device does not mean that the exact idea is not already patented.

2) Do some serious stress testing of the mechanism before touting it on the site. Something like 5,000 - 10,000 switches, and then check the fret tolerances, stress on the wood etc. It will take exactlky one early adopter to say "it didn't hold up" in an internet review to completely sink the company/product.

Good luck to Mikey! Very elegant and hopefully robust.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by C.Alexander Claber:

Neither convertible nor targa unfortunately. What do you call a targa top that made out of a few bits of fabric and aluminium?

Alex

Ya, it was a stretch, but Porsches have never been on my short list.
- Matt W.

Novatone approach is not like this approach at all.

Mikey (I assume),

Great stuff if that audio is the result! As Alex asked, I'm interested in the duty cycle. Also Zeronyne is astute on the patent thing. Then: is the manufacture of such a system consistent and affordable enough to find a niche in the marketplace? Realize that you are dealing with a lot of conservatism and historic baggage among bassists and guitarists. You need to win some forward-thinking people who can also afford one of your instruments, and it won't hurt if it be available in several cosmetic and electronic configuratations.

Hope you can grab a few prominent players who can in turn win others over so that your work can be further rewarded.

I wonder what the real worry is about the Gibson thang if the success of Agile and any number of other Les Paul copies is any indication. But it wouldn't hurt to find out more about this.

Check at talkbass.com too, where you might get some snotty comments but also there are some people there that might actually be realistically critical while still encouraging. It's a tough market, but really, changes do succeed sometimes : }

That did sound good.

I wonder how much the asking price is for that bass?

I also have to wonder about the durability...

Tellyou what Mikey. Send me one of those basses and I'll be glad to test drive it for the next year. ;)

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Thank you greenboy and other members of this forum for intersting discussion.

My name is Max not Mikey.

Mike dosn't have the internet, but I will send him print copy of this discussion and Steinberger info. I hope it will continue.

Please, if you have any question to Mike about his invention; post it on forum or send by email (address on his site).

Thanks, Max

Hi Max,

He should really get internet if he is serious about R&D, feedback, and business. Thanks for posting, hope you guys will contribute when you can to keep us updated or fill us in of any other BASS thoughts. The playing was nice, and I look forward to hearing of market progress and recognition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived