Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIJ Fender Squier

wraub

I know, I know, you're thinking, "Dating a Squier... Why?"

Well, you're probably right, but I just picked up a Squier Jazz Bass for pocket change, and I'd like some info on it.

Anyone know of a resource for this?

I reckon from random googling that the Japanese Squiers are supposed to have a better build quality than some others, but that's about it.

Thanks all.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all. Thanks for the, uh, "help".

:rolleyes::)

I have been doing some digging,and this looks to be from around 83, although it does have some odd details that make dating it difficult. It looks pretty beat up, but it sounds great unplugged, the price was really right, and it was a 10 minute walk from my house.

It just needs a few little things, and I think I'll keep it. :)

Peace,

wraub

Wraub, I think you scored a good one. I picked up an 83-84 Squier P-bass back in March for $109.00! Sounded really good acousticly and looked identical to a 1969 MIA P-bass I used to have. Same exact 3-tone sunburst. It even sounds and plays better then the old 69! If you take the pickguard off, you'll see there is NO routing from the pickup cavity to the pot cavity although, they did not spray the red part of the sunburst in this area! I sure the serial# begins with a JV. I remembered looking it up in "The Bass Book" I have at home. Beat quality Squire you'll ever pickup for such a bargain price! Put a tortise shell pickguard on, some D'Addario Chromes and Duncan Bassline "Hot for P-bass" pickups in it and Whamo!!......instant "Funk Machine"!

I think I agree with you. :)

I put a new set of XLs on it last night, just to put new strings on it, but I think flats and foam are on the way...

Peace,

wraub

Yeah, so far, it has the weight and solidity, the wood quality is definitely there, and it's got a cool vibe.

All for practically nothing. I am pleased.

Sounds really great unplugged, can't wait until tonight to actually plug it in...

Peace,

wraub

Update: I plugged this thing in last night, and...

WOW!

I am completely blown away with the tone on this bass. Rich, full, deep, bright, punchy, all the cliches are present and accounted for. The pick-ups are loud as all get out, plenty hot.

The neck is a dream, a vintage profile one-piece maple (no stripe) with a rosewood board that cleaned up to reveal itself as shiny and almost pristine.

The rosewood itself is a deep, dark almost-black color that looks sweet on the all-black bass.

The fretwork is impeccable, no sharp edges anywhere, with very little wear.

Typical J-bass hum, but oh well. It's a keeper.

And I am not really a "Fender bass" type, usually. Go figure.

I try to keep an open mind...

Peace,

wraub

Sounds like you've got yourself a fun toy for very little money. Will you start experimenting with it (bridge, PUPs, etc.) or leave it as is? What do Mr. and Mrs. Roadstar have to say?

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Actually, right now it sounds and plays so well I think I'll leave it stock. It has a really nice growl, and plays slap and funk like that's what it was made for.

Plus, all the parts have a healthy "patina" and that does add to the vibe of the bass. It's really something.

I'll probably even leave the pickguard.

As for the twins, they seem fine. Maybe a little put out, but they all have different roles, and I think we'll reach an accord in time. :)

Peace,

wraub

Just an update: I gave this bass a workout at rehearsal tonight, and this thing is all 'o that and a bag of whatever. It just rocks.

Some research leads me to believe it's basically a copy of a 62 jazz bass. 11 hole pickguard, no skunkstripe, and exposed grounding strip betwen the bridge and the bridge pickup, etc.

All I know is I love the sound.

Peace,

wraub

• 2 months later...

Well hello again. This is a long post.

Deal with it.

Wanted to add to this thread for, if no other reason, the possibility it may help someone else searching for similar info. I have had quite a time researching this thing.

So, the bass is indeed a Japanese made Squier Jazz bass. In researching this little goodie I have dug up some of the following:

It would seem that Squier/Fender produced instruments originally for sale in Japan only, and these instruments carried serial numbers that begin with "JV". This apparently signifies "Japan Vintage", as these instruments were basically high-quality copies of vintage Fenders produced from Fender's actual blueprints and toolings for the demanding Japanese market.

The quality was reportedly so high that Fender's reps were shocked, far surpassing what Fender was making at the time. This led to the decision to market the Squier name more broadly, as the quality to price ratio was attractive to Fender- they had basically unlimited skilled labor who desired to make high quality instruments.

After the JV series came the SQ series, the E series, and others. As labor prices rose, Fender moved Squier manufacturing around to other countries, which along with falling quality control, cheaper parts and materials, etc, diminshed the "reputation" of the Squier line.

Nowadays, the JV Squiers can command pretty high prices, and the market is on the rise. Similarly, the SQ and E series instruments are acquiring value. These were, allegedly, the best of the Japanese made instruments, before market demands decreased quality.

Anyways, it appears the the JV series offered both P and J basses, as did the E series.

However, there do not appear to have been many SQ series J basses-lots of P basses, but not a lot of the J basses. In fact, I have looked a lot, and have not found another.

What I have is an SQ Jazz bass. In corresponding with a couple of experts, the theory was broached that what I have may be a transitional model, i.e. made from a mix of JV and SQ era parts, stuck with an SQ serial plate, and shipped out. So it has many characteristics of the 62 Jazz that was in the JV series, but has details that are common with the later Squiers as well.

The serial # dates it to '82-83, so it's actually in pretty good condition. It looks like what Fender now calls "Lightly relic'ed". :D and charges more for.

It's got tone for days, a neck like an arrow, sustains like crazy, is super loud and resonant unplugged, records like a dream, and I can't stop playing it.

I haven't played my other basses since I got it.

I would advise anyone looking for a Fender-ish instrument to hunt for one of these Squiers. The value for the money is really there, even if you pay more than I did. Which you will. :)

I could go on, but I think that's long enough. If you have made it this far, thanks.

Get yourself a drink, have a rest.

Talk to ya later.

Peace,

wraub

Originally posted by Geoff B.:

You like it, then?

Geoff

Why do you ask?

Seriously, I have never been a Fender guy. I have

played the same Ibanez 5 string for many years exclusively, and been content. Played many new Fenders in shops, never "got it".

I have played a few nice vintage basses, and the vibe was apparent, but nothing I could actually afford had that special something.

Now I have it, I wonder how I lived without it.

I'm sure I'll go back to my baby, and be pleased as ever. I just put new strings on it, so it's ready.

I just have to play my Jazz bass for a little bit first...

Peace,

wraub

Ibanez Roadstar II lovers around the world -- unite! Fight the bastardized/Fenderized inclinations of your brethren, and bring them back into the fold! :mad:

For shame, wraub! :o A love affair w/ a Fender?!?! :confused:

Oh yeah, and thanks for the history about these Japanese Squiers. ;):D

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

wraub, from all this it sounds as if you found your musical soul mate. :love:

The others will have to settle for being part of the harem, but I'm sure you'll continue to show affection to them as you have in the past.

Enjoy the journey! :thu:

A good one, is a good one - regardless of origin.

Sometimes, all the pieces fall together and it feels (and sounds) right.

...All that AND a bag of chips.

That bag of chips might be Vinegar and Salt, Sour Cream and Chives, Bar-B-Q, Chipotle...

It's all good. More (and mo'betta choices) as time goes on. Enjoy!

...and Happy New Year!

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Some real sleepers come out of Japan. Sounds like you have what I have but with a Squier logo instead of a Fender logo. I know exactly how you feel. The first time I picked up my '87 Jazz MIJ I knew it was the one just by the way it sat in my arms (do not worry mademoiselle, I will be very gentle). A pair of Lindy Fralins and a set of Thomastik Jazz flats later and I wouldn't sell it for triple what I have in it. Coming through the Whappo Jr. it is vox deus temporae itself. Congrats and give us a pic.

www.ethertonswitch.com

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, this is indeed one of those. I really have a hard time not playing it. It's like a sickness...

Pics? Sorry it took this long. Here ya go:

Front

Back

Simple and loud.

Enjoy. I do.

Hard to believe it's from '82 from these pics, but it has its share of dings and dents.

Peace,

wraub

Put a black pickguard on it to make it even louder! :D

I have a mid 80's MIJ P-bass that's really beat up but it sounds and plays great! I believe mine is an E series as the serial number begins with an E, but it's not a Squier. The Headstock says Fender Precision. The body is smaller than a normal P-bass (like a P-bass lyte) and has no pick guard. I can't find any info on this bass other than it was manufactured somewhere between '84 and '87. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any info for this bass?

Archived