Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Kevin Costner

Chad Thorne

The movie quote thread, comprising 7 pages, makes me think I'll find a receptive audience for this :D :

I always thought Kevin Costner sucked as an actor. I'm not sure I've changed my mind on that, but I've decide that his vehicle is Westerns. I just watched "Open Range" this a.m. and was blown away! Of course, he benefitted from being paired with Robert Duvall and Annette Benning; but in "Silverado", his other best film, he benefitted from being paired with Kevin Kline, Scott Glenn, Brian Dennehy, Linda Hunt, John Cleese. He wasn't even bad in "Dances With Wolves", which should have been called "Dances With Cinematography" because I'm convinced that's why it won awards - certainly not for its script, which was awful.

Now I see Costner like John Wayne, who could never do a non-cowboy role justice. But in a Western he just needed to show up and be John Wayne and it was magic. Same (to a lesser extent) with Costner.

Thoughts?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlike most, I thought he did a good job as Aquaman.

:D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Yes, but how can you not mention names like Jeff Goldbulm, Danny Glover, Rosanna Arquette, Thomas Brown (Honey, I Shrunk the Kids), The Lawnmower Man's Jeff Fahey (also in Darkman 3 and Wyatt Earp) and Home Improvement's faceless wonder Earl Hindman? Silverado is one of my favorite movies ever!

I'll agree that Costner can't act but I always liked him anyway. I don't really know why. Maybe it's the same way that some people like Jimmy Fallon.

Originally posted by davio:

Yes, but how can you not mention names like Jeff Goldblum, Danny Glover, Rosanna Arquette, Thomas Brown (Honey, I Shrunk the Kids), The Lawnmower Man's Jeff Fahey (also in Darkman 3 and Wyatt Earp) and Home Improvement's faceless wonder Earl Hindman? Silverado is one of my favorite movies ever!

Too true. I was trying to think of all the great actors in that film and overlooked these. With actors like that all around him Costner could've held onto his weenie for the entire movie and nobody would have noticed.

My dislike of Costner comes with the idea that every movie he makes needs to be 3 hours. I will admit that Dances With Wolves and Field of Dreams are the only two I can think of off the bat (ha - I made a funny)...

Regardless of how much the movies were loved the first time around, it doesn't take too many viewings before you realize they contain about 1/2 of plot and the rest is, as stated, cinematography.

- Matt W.

Originally posted by chad:

With actors like that all around him Costner could've held onto his weenie for the entire movie and nobody would have noticed.
Based on the early screening comments on "For the Love of the Game", I'd say you never know.

I heard the locker room shower scenes with Costner drew derisive laughs from preview audiences, and were cut for release.

Just FYI. :)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

It amazes me that he can be extremely good and unbelievably bad in the same movie. In Bull Durham, for instance, he was great overall, but in a couple of scenes (most notably one of the scenes on the bus where Nuke tells him about his dream and Costner tells him that he has that dream, too), he delivers his lines in a wooden, emotionless monotone.

Originally posted by ihategarybettman:

In Bull Durham, for instance, he was great overall, but in a couple of scenes (most notably one of the scenes on the bus where Nuke tells him about his dream and Costner tells him that he has that dream, too), he delivers his lines in a wooden, emotionless monotone.

Most real baseball players talk the same way, if you pay close attention. Maybe it wasn't intentional, but Coster came off pretty authentic in Bull Durham. Then again, I payed closer attention to the scenes with Susan Sarandon and Timothy whatsisname, who also came off convincingly wooden IMHO.

Didn't come off too bad as "The Postman" for the same reasons, but that was more of a Western set in an post-apocalyptic world. (a precursor to "Firefly" and "Serenity")

Let's face it, Kevin gives good wood... :D

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Can't we at least talk about an actor who plays the bass?

Like Keanu Reeves or Dustin Diamond?

Or should I say an actor who owns a bass?

Uh, Screech. I don't think we're in Kansas any more. dude....

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Fred - Why oh why did you have to go there?

Jeremy - Keanu Reeves! Duuuude... Where's that vomit graemlin when I need it? I'm still convinced that his best (and only legitimate) work was in B&T's Excellent Adventure simply because he didn't defile the movie by trying to act.

Jeremy - Keanu Reeves! Duuuude... Where's that vomit graemlin when I need it? I'm still convinced that his best (and only legitimate) work was in B&T's Excellent Adventure simply because he didn't defile the movie by trying to act.

and his bass playing is just as good!

Home Improvement's faceless wonder Earl Hindman?

I figured I'd throw this in, I was watching a show in Vegas maybe 4 years ago, and then from the stage the actors introduce the guy sitting next to me, earl Hindman. I had no idea what he looked like up to that point.

I liked Bull Durham, and I liked Field of Dreams. I like Tim Robbins WAAAAAAYY more than I like Kevin Costner.+-

Originally posted by lug:

Sacrelige! The theme of "Jojo's Circus" is one of the best power pop songs I've heard in a long time, and Keanu does OK chunking out the driving eighth notes.

"For instance" is not proof.

You know, I didn't say a word about Keanu's acting, just Kevin's. Keanu's acting in the "Bill and Ted" collection is still a landmark in the annals of teen movies. And the restraint he showed in the "Matrix" trilogies left so much room open for the other stars to shine. It's a tribute to his humility that he declined to star in the "Constantine" sequel being planned, a fact possibly unrelated to the poor showing the first film made in box office and DVD sales.

Keanu's growing into his own in the annals of wooden performances.

Let's hope he doesn't get an Oscar or decide to become a director. :D

Originally posted by Davo-London:

So is there an analogy here for any bass players that really only excell in a single music genre? i.e. Kostner and Westerns

It's never too late to start another career. ;)

Keanu's greatest role....

Dude, Dracula sucks.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Originally posted by lug:

Sacrelige! The theme of "Jojo's Circus" is one of the best power pop songs I've heard in a long time, and Keanu does OK chunking out the driving eighth notes.
Are you serious?

Archived