Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great instrunmental songs: 2000 and on

Just because I can't sleep tonight and I'm up listening to music.

What are your favorites? Please keep it to songs that were recorded 2000 and on.

Right now I'm listening to "Away" by Devin Townsend. This song is simply amazing. It violates my rules a little bit, as it does have a few lyrics; but the bulk of the song is the guitar melody that repeats and Devin bases the bulk of his solo off. What a great tune. This is one of those songs that I wish I could write.

"It's hard to be back here in Sweden again..."

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Silent Inferno" by The Flower Kings, proving once again that prog can be retro AND modern. And over 10 minutes long.

"Castlerigg" and "Songs of Ascent pt3" from Iona. Celtic prog with dueling pipes & synth guitars; moving bass underpinnings by Tim Harries.

"Occlusion Included" by Ezekiel's Wheel. Even more fun when they let me sit in.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

John Petrucci's solo album is particularly rockin', most notably Jaws of Life.

Dave LaRue plays on this album and it's highly recommended for fans of his as well. Though he doesn't really take any solo moments, it's all solid playing.

I don't know the title off hand but the opening track to Meshell Ndegeocello | The Spirit Music Jamia: Dance of the Infidel is fantastic.

edit PS - Zero 7 is a pretty cool pop group that I like and they have an instrumental on When it Falls thats fairly simplistic but has alot of soul.

Sorry I'm terrible with song names, because I usually listen to albums instead of songs.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

There is a whole genre of really cenematic and beautiful music, that is normaly instrumental, called "post-rock." kind of a dumb title, but it has a lot to offer.

Godspeed You! black Emperor is one of the more famous bands from the genre. Their work was featured in the movie 28 days later (the famous scene of the main guy wondering around london). They have two releases in this century, Lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven and yanqui UXO.

other modern instrumental artists:

Tortoise

Red Sparowes

Dj Shadow

and many more, just look at any of the listmania's on amazon from looking at one of those artists.

We distort. You abide.

Los Straitjackets - Supersonic Guitars in 3-D

Bela Fleck & Edgar Meyer - Music For Two

Michael Manring - Soliloquy

Brian Bromberg - Jaco, Metal

Anything off these CD will do just fine! Fleck,Manring and Bromberg are just mindblowing.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by Phil W:

Mu-Min - First song on 'Dance of the Infidel' - yes, great! It would have to be something off that album. I think it's the second track I prefer though 'Al-Falaq', I just love the way matthew Garrison grooves on that and Kenny Garrett's solo.

Ah! I'm a big dummy. I have this album in itunes, so I never paid attention to the track count. I didn't realize Al-Falaq wasn't the the first song. What I thought was a peculiar intro to a great tune is actually a track. So yes I agree with you, Al-Falaq is the one I was thinking of.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Archived