Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Cat Thinks I'm Insane

He does, really. Phydeaux is now a year old, we got him when he was about 8 weeks or so. He was so small and helpless that he just completely captured our hearts. Aside from a few random wetting incidents when he was still too young to have complete control over himself, he's been fantastic. He's not as neurotic as many cats I've known, and he does things that are just completely adorable. Very calm for a cat. That's not to say that he doesn't wake up at 5AM and want attention, but all cats do that. So I read that CNN article about those stupid, sub-human, feces eating, shit-for-brains that put a 7 week old kitten on the Bar-B-Q, and I thought back to when Phy was 8 weeks old. And how small and helpless he was. And how hot that Bar-B-Q must have been. And how scared the kitten had to have been. And how the motherfuckers leered at him yelling "meow". And how the kitten only wanted a little love. And how those idiots laughed as he burned. And I went and picked him up and gave him a big hug, and promised him that nothing like that would ever happen to him. And he looked at me with that expression that says "You're insane, put me down, I was sleeping". And every time I walk by him now I give him a hug, or a tender little pat, and he thinks I'm insane. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a horrible story! I hadn't heard of that one. Cats expect that kind of thing from humans, at least Europeans. Mass cat torture and extermination was a big sport during the Inquisition. Those assholes just couldn't stand to see anything free and wild without hurting it. So naturally cats are skeptical. It's astonishing that they even give people a chance, but we're a mixed bunch and some of us are worth it. I told my cat "I love you" for the first few years of his life, and he looked at me like he had no idea what I was talking about. He understood affection, but not love. But after a few years he really started to realize that he is truly loved, actually worshipped, and that this is permanent and for real. So be patient, and ask yourself what is this cat to you? A pet? A lover? A familiar? A teacher? A conversation piece? A mouser? Lunch? or what?

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

im sure one of my cats thought i was insane while i was strolling it through home depot to get a cat door for their litter room today. i had taken her to the vet because she was puking and shitting in the house... the vet couldnt find anything wrong, but she is a long haired cat and it is shedding season which would explain both due to hairballs. she also was finding "other" places in the house to relieve herself instead of the litter box. the vet and i talked about how it was probably behaviour issues rather than medical issues.... she was VERY close to my dog we put to sleep last december [about the time she started going other places], and 2 new dogs which she isnt as close with showed up in the house. so i now installed a kitty door to the litter room so they have full privacy from the dogs etc... hope it works. cat piss sucks ass to clean up. oh, she had to go with my into home depot because it was way too hot to leave her in the car. the cashier asked if i brought her in to size the door. i think she thought i was insane as well.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Cats understand 2 things: When you scratch their ears and tuna. Munch is my boy, sadly he's less than terrifying to other cats and gets the shit beaten out of him from time to time. I'm moving tomorrow so he may have more luck with the cats from a more upmarket neighbourhood. I hope so or I'm going to have to teach him to use mace, I can't afford the vet's bills anymore.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Yeah I know what you mean Dwarf. I can't even comprehend those sick assholes. I mean literally can't think about it. I rescued one of my kitties off the street when she was just a helpless kitten herself, and she looked a lot like the one who got barbecued. :( At least there's a happier ending in her case, she's a fat and sassy 9 year old now. Both my cats are totally spoiled rotten and have a great life. And they don't think I'm insane at all for being affectionate with them actually, they're used to it. They also have been around dogs their whole lives and seem to have picked up a few dog-like traits. Definitely they are not as uppity as a lot of people's cats I know, except on rare occasions. So when I read that story and wanted to give my kitties some extra hugs they were fine with that. One of them is now rolled over on her back next to my dog and I just gave her a nice belly rub. They are such marvelous creatures... how anyone could want to hurt them is too far beyond my comprehension to even wonder.

I'll tell you something important to know about cats, that a lot of people I don't think understand: Cats are only as good as the people who raise them. I've met people who are like "I had a cat and it didn't do anything but sleep and scratch me". Well, why was it like that? Cats are cool because they *are* their own "person", but they're totally influenced by how they're raised. When I was a kid I had a cat that would ride a skateboard, another that prefered Pink Floyd over other music (I tested playing other music at the same volume; I'm *quite* convinced the cat recognized the music), a few that could open doors, including one that could open a shut storm door from outside by leaping and knocking the handle ajar, then pulling the door open, then there was the one that grew up thinking it was a rabbit because it was friends with a rabbit that lived in the neighborhood and would hop in the front yard with it's hind legs together like a rabbit... It would stop traffic doing that routine, actually ("is that a rabbit? What is that???")... That's just silly obvious things, but each cat has it's own distinct personality - UNLESS the person raising it just leaves it alone and ignores it. Which I think says something about perhaps the evolution of intelligence: the concept of learning to "care" is perhaps the impetus that lead to the development of our present state of awareness. A *lack* of that ability, to being able to formularize and model the emotion of another creature mentally, is both a sign of a poor intellect as well as perhaps a signpost of a faulty Mendellian deviation.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

my parents last cat sucked ass. would bite me [down to the bone] for no fucking reason. i hated that cat... good thing she didnt have front claws, although she did put a gaping wound on the back of my hand with her back claws. one of my cats like to have her ass spanked... and not lightly either. what a weirdo.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

I dont know about cats that think humans are insane but my sister has a spastic cat called Junior .This cat has been genuinly diagnosed as being spastic,my sister could be insane for raising it from a kitten but it is one very healthy animal. Its hard to know what to say when you watch it trying to do something as basic as stand up and walk out the door,its back legs kind of rotate,it will bounce off most of the furniture an the walls ,5 minutes later it finially makes it out the door..
I once had a quasi-religious experience..then I realised I'd turned up the volume.

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b]then there was the one that grew up thinking it was a rabbit because it was friends with a rabbit that lived in the neighborhood and would hop in the front yard with it's hind legs together like a rabbit... [/b][/quote]We have two Manx cats (the boy is my avatar). Their tails are around 3/4" long and when they 'haul ass' they have to go into hop mode because they have no proper tail for balance. They are both quite good at opening doors and such and the orange guy is the studio cat. He likes to get up on my desk and listen to mixes with me. My aunt once told me that people who live with animals are much more compassionate to their fellow man. Glad to see that many folks around here have beasties about.

One of my cats (Merlin - a black one) only comes into the studio when I'm working on music that he likes. He's not crazy about country/pop, dance/pop, or rock, but seems to like the a/c or aa stuff where he'll just plop down and sleep. He also waits until the alarm clock goes off before scratching at the bedroom door.
Larry W.

Imagine what cats were like when worshipped on a nationwide level, as in ancient Egypt. I bet they lived up to that, and acted ways we wouldn't believe.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

[quote]Originally posted by Ted Nightshade: [b]Imagine what cats were like when worshipped on a nationwide level, as in ancient Egypt. I bet they lived up to that, and acted ways we wouldn't believe.[/b][/quote]You mean their behaviour has changed? -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Archived