Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

From a tiny seed...

stonecoldbass

Good morrow fellow bassists!

I am not a regular poster (referring to the term used to describe adding text to this lovely forum, as opposed to that A3 picture of britney on your wall..) but a keen reader. Just finished practicing ye ol' bassic geetar in which I was studying 'Afro Cuban Grooves - Funkifying the Clave' and felt compelled to share my experience and ideas with y'all. For those of you unfamiliar with said book, Lincoln Goines and Robby Ameen take you through various 'tumbao's' or grooves used in lots of different latin genres then provide 5 excellent pieces at the end of the book for you to practice your new found skills.... i highly recommend... Anyways, it was after trying to nail a breakdown section in 'yo me songo' that I headed off in a tangent. There was one bar in which Lincoln plays a tasty turnaround lick that's really slick both harmonically and physically. I began to isolate this pattern and apply it to other grooves I had kicking around and eventually came up with a new monster funk groove based around this one bar lick.

Now my point (sorry for the overly long background but as I said I dont post much, others say I don't get out much...) Although this new riff isn't exactly rocket science it has opened my ears and fingers up to a few more harmonic variations and all because of 1 bar in a latin tune. What I would like to know is have any of you guys recently had a similar exploration from a small starting point which opened up a new door for you?

THEN I had the idea that we could post our new hot grooves as notation on the forum with a small explanation of how we came up with it for us all to batter into?

SORRY FOR THIS BEING SOOO LONG! :freak:

Thanks Guys.

:thu:

Once is an error, twice is jazz....

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

scb - I haven't had this happen when learning a groove, though I have "embellished" fills or parts that have become my own.

It has happened in the past when I jam with my band. We are a classic rock cover band, but every once in a while we'll sit on one chord (sometimes two!) and jam for a while. That's when I start thinking about different ways I can enhance or change the groove. The drummer "moves" us as well during this.

I don't try to remember the grooves (or record them in any way) so I can't offer to share. The experience helps to keep me thinking.

Welcome !

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by stonecoldbass:

Just finished practicing ye ol' bassic geetar in which I was studying 'Afro Cuban Grooves - Funkifying the Clave' and felt compelled to share my experience and ideas with y'all. .... i highly recommend... :wave:

quote:

What I would like to know is have any of you guys recently had a similar exploration from a small starting point which opened up a new door for you?

All the time. Hendrix and Santana tunes lend themselves to this kind of cross-timing rather well. Currently I'm working with an acoustic trio (just met the new percussionist last week about 24 hrs before our first gig together) and I'm trying to set up follow-up rehearsals to see if we can do some alternate timings to some rock standards. (e.g., the way the timing changes from slow blues to swing in the live Allman Bros. version of "Stormy Monday") I have other ideas but I'm giving them time to germinate.

THEN I had the idea that we could post our new hot grooves as notation on the forum with a small explanation of how we came up with it for us all to batter into?

Might not be as easy for some of us who are awkward with notation. However, I think someone around here is in the process of setting up a server for us to share/archive mp3 clips. That might be easier and may encourage more contributions.

:wave:

Hi Stonecold,

I love latin music and have been thinking about purchasing the Goines/Ameen book for some time. Thanks for your rec and I'll check out your variations when I have my bass in hand.

I had a similar experience revisiting a Black Uhuru CD and listening to Robbie Shakespeare's note-perfect bass melodies. Unfortunately, I don't have any transcriptions to share as it was more of a conceptual breakthrough than anything concrete. However, something clicked in my head and lately I've been finding that my own lines are more melodic without being any more note-y.

In other words, I realized on a deep level that it's possible to play with great economy and at the same time, great melodic motion. Not exactly Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, but it was a breakthrough in my own style.

Anyway, welcome!

Archived