Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hit me baby one more time: NBC Special

musicfiend

I just watched about 10 minutes frm this show. It's a special that features some one hit wonders from the eighties and nineties. Right when I came upon it, The Knack was playing. The bass player had a gorgeous fodera sitting next to his eden rig...while he was playing a vox bill wyman bass. It pained me to see this, but it worked for the song, so I'm not crying about it. Other stars of the night included a warwick, and a single pickup Kubicki with a koa top :D;)

Anyway, the also had tommy tutone play, along with the motels and a few groups I missed.

So, when the show went to commercial I had to think...Why did I watch that for so long? Then, I turned off the tv and listened to some music.

But I had to think of this..all of the bass players, despite their diverse rigs (swr, hartke, eden) and range of basses had a very thick midrangey tone that really lacked some fundamental to my ears. Was this most likely due to an attempt at making these rigs speak well in a big ambient hall or what? I doubt it had too much to do with trying to cut through a lot of guitar, a lot of the guitar tones weren't very broadly spead ovr the frequency spectrum. Anyody else catch the show?

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really, jeez. I couldn't even tell. Is that a guess or a fact, though? WEll, if it is a fact...they fooled me. Man, after that...I feel violated.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

I have to admit, I kinda like Toxic by Britney spears (ducks and runs. It's catchy, it's got cool tones, and it's fairly interesting harmonically( at least it doesn't sound like a 1 1v v or combination of the above to me.

Musicfiend, nothing wrong with liking pop music. I'm partial to some of Kylie Minogue's music.

One reason is that wherever I went, they'd start playing "Can't Get You Outta My Head" ... :D

Some of Britney's songs are really good. Musically that is :) I don't care for her voice.

I do like Christina Aguilera's voice, but I don't care for her music ...

Anyway, enough with the coming out of the pop-closet thing :D

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

Musicfiend, nothing wrong with liking pop music. I'm partial to some of Kylie Minogue's music.

:D

I'm just partial to some parts of Kylie Minogue!!!

:P:P:P;)

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Kylie Minogue will be mine!!!!

Mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................

I actually watched that last night. I thought The Knack should have won (BTW - Vannilla Ice did).

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

I caught the show last week and this week. Partly to check out some of the old acts, mostly because nothing was on TV.

I was easy to tell that there was a lot of prerecorded stuff mixed in. During both shows, I told my wife that the sound man should be shot. It was a horribly unbalanced mix between the vocals and music for a major network show. Also, is it really fair to put up an entire band against 1 singer and their origional backing track?

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I watched pieces of it last week, it was a train wreck. I also wonder how many folks are taking up collections to have a hit put out on the uberhost, but it does take a good actor to be so enthused about these "performances."

Like butcherNburn I thought the mix was horrible, and nothing was done to help the group vocals sound decent-- it's almost as if it was intentional.

I didn't catch much of this week's show but saw all of them last week. It was like a gory traffic accident from which I could not look away.

Close the coffin, the eighties are dead and the smell is overwhelming. ;)

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

I am not ashamed to admit it...I am wearing pink converse and I love the 80's. LOL.

I tuned in to both shows. Yep, it looked and sounded like a train wreck at times, but I like the concept. Though, it just seems like something is just plain wrong with it. For one, The host has to go. Where did they find this guy? Two, the winner gets charity money and goes home. Why not have the winner move to the next round and perhaps get a recording contract, or even money for a new album. How cool would that be that the winner would get a chance to make a come back. I don't know...I would dig it....

"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." - Al Capone

http://www.spookhouse.tv

http://www.garageband.com/artist/Paul_Martini

I think one of the things that most disturbed me is how chunky 50 year old guys look like on stage while trying to rock and roll. :eek:

And that has absolutely nothing to do with my own weight or age. :o

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

Originally posted by SpookyKid:

. For one, The host has to go. Where did they find this guy?

I was wondering the same thing. He needs to get the axe...literally!

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Originally posted by SpookyKid:

I am not ashamed to admit it...I am wearing pink converse and I love the 80's. LOL.

I How cool would that be that the winner would get a chance to make a come back. I don't know...I would dig it....

Eddie, anyone with Pink Converses is a SERIOUS 80's fan....

Spooky: Put down the neon scrunchies and step away from the shoes...

Tenstrum

The 80's sucked.

Though I do have to admit "Hungry Like The Wolf" has a fun bassline to play.

edit: I just couldn't bring myself to watch this show. I saw a few adverts for it and was horrified. It looked like a god-awful trainwreck and from what some people here are saying, that's exactly what it is.

Yes, the host is worse than liver.. I forgot where I got that from but, a poor immatation of Brian Seacrest is adding insult to injury. Anything is better than American Idol, which I'm ashamed has "American" as part of the title.

Some of the stuff they were playing brings me back to the early days of eMTV, and I'd like to see if some pop stars of today can pull that off in 20-25 years.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I saw half of last week. I didn't think it was so terrible, but I recognized that the difficulty level probably was low, and they probably got some "music support".

I agree that the host was awful, and I doubt I could stand much more (though I would have liked to see the Knack).

It's very cool to say that the 80s sucked. I'm not of the generation that grew up in the 80s, but I thought there was plenty to like. Yes, plenty to dislike, but lots to enjoy - in many genres. the 80s gave us the Smiths, the Cure, and the Traveling Wilburys. And if you listen to that first Knack album, there are some finely crafted songs there....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom, I too like The Knack and they really should have won last night. Vanilla Ice was horrible!!!

I don't hate the 80's, I just have no desire to relive them...

Come on Spooky, if you walk away from the shoes, I'll give you some nice bright neon yellow leg warmers and throw in an off the shoulder sweat shirt.

Tenstrum

Originally posted by Tenstrum:

Eddie, anyone with Pink Converses is a SERIOUS 80's fan....

Damn, I just realised that I'm old enough to remember what Converses are ... I was born in '81 but fashion fads in Belgium always come somewhat later :)

That said, to each his own, of course. My girlfriend's brother loves the '80s. Me too, but just because of the NWOBHM :D I guess my avatar says it all ...

And The Smiths were cool :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Tom, I too like The Knack and they really should have won last night. Vanilla Ice was horrible!!!
I hadn't heard-- Vanilla Ice won?

Isn't that one of the signs of the Apocalypse? :freak:

"I'm only gonna pierce my left ear

I've been working on this mustache all summer long

My favorite band wil always be Tears for Fears

And I'm gonna wear a pink tux to the prom"

-Reliant K, "In Love with the 80's"

I like SOME of the 80's: Marillion (still going strong); Yes (ok, I ragged on Trevor at first...),

GTR (don't know why Howe & Hackett got a bad rap for this album); Steve Morse joining a reformed Kansas (plus his solo albums); Joe-Lynn Turner era Rainbow; Deep Purple reuniting- Perfect Strangers is a great album; the debut of the CD; guitar synths (especially in Alan Holdworth's hands); Eric Johnson; Stu Hamm; WhiteHeart; I could go on...

There's also alot that I DIDN'T like; I won't mention that lest it bring up some bad flashbacks for anyone.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Originally posted by Tenstrum:

I don't hate the 80's, I just have no desire to relive them...

Come on Spooky, if you walk away from the shoes, I'll give you some nice bright neon yellow leg warmers and throw in an off the shoulder sweat shirt.

Don't make me use these... :D

"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." - Al Capone

http://www.spookhouse.tv

http://www.garageband.com/artist/Paul_Martini

Originally posted by Danzilla:

"I'm only gonna pierce my left ear

I've been working on this mustache all summer long

My favorite band wil always be Tears for Fears

And I'm gonna wear a pink tux to the prom"

-Reliant K, "In Love with the 80's"

"So it was Jeremy in 1983 in his

Ocean Pacific tee who got a bloody knee

On his skateboard, in the halfpipe

In the back yard that Tuesday night."

Thank you Dan...you rocked my socks off. I love that song.

Spooky, keep on sportin' those pink Converse! I work at Famous Footwear and a lady came in the other day to get her kids some shoes and walked out with a new pair of pink Chucks. Said her husband would flip because he always wears his red ones on his red Harley. She said "Now we can match...well, almost."

what? No one watched this last night and wants to give their opinions????

Tenstrum

Everybody hates it. I absolutely understand that but... I like it.

I mean, the performers are getting up there and performing. Why not. I know the packaging is very New-Millenium-Over-The-Top-Media-BS-Reality-Based shwack... but come on. They're playing.

Maybe I'm a bit protective of these performers because if my band from the 80's had hit, I'd probably be up there too, showing off my hairloss and gut!

We had a deal with MCA (Clearmountain mixed), a video that played for 2 weeks on MTV in high rotation, a high powered manager (he managed Tina Turner What's Love era and Olivia Newton John Physical era..and us) and still we only moved 546 units. A disaster.

But these guys all flew. That's not so bad, is it?

Archived