Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electronics Question - Help with project

Remember the thread about control preferences? Lots of people said that they would prefer NO controls. Well I've decided to do this.

The bass is an Epi T-bird

Both pickups are humbucking

I will have two pickups, and I want both running full on.

As there will be no tone control (no capacitor) what will the bass sound like? Will it sound like fully on (brightest) or fully off (deepest) tone control setting?

Is it as simple is soldering all the hot wires to the tip of the output and then grounding all the ground wires.

Bog visoko, a Rusija daleko

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no electronics expert, but in general, on a passive bass the tone control only removes treble. With the tone control full up, you're getting the natural tone of the pickups. When you roll it off, you're subtracting treble.

So my guess is that it will sound bright.

Bruiser

what they said.

the safest try would be to solder both hot wires to the tip connection of the output and both grounds to ground (usually the sleeve connection of the output).

you may also want to do some research about wiring the pickups in series. i'm not going to describe it for fear of confusing you. a simple picture comparison of series parallel will probably make it at least somewhat more obvious to you. for example, this site might illuminate the topic for you .

fender has added a switch to their basses that changes them between series and parallel, called the S1 switch, so it's not unprecedented.

robb.

Do you plan to sell the bass someday? If so, make note of the wiring and disconnect just what you need to pull all the controls out. An output jack is around $5 so if you could remove the existing jack without disconnecting anything, do so. You will need to reconnect the bridge wire to the negative (ring) end of the new jack.

Also, if you don't want sweat, dirt or little creatures to move into the control cavity I'd plug up the remaining holes.

:wave:

Originally posted by NUTT:

T-bird with no controls?

Check out the Nikki Sixx signature bass.

Wow. It has an Opti-Grab handle.

Every bass should have one of those.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Opti- as in visual

Grab- as in to take hold of (roughly)

So it LOOKS like you could grab the bass by this handle and be rough with it; but it's really too awkward to accomplish that task. And why would you want to anyway?

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Originally posted by robb.:

what they said.

the

you may also want to do some research about wiring the pickups in series. i'm not going to describe it for fear of confusing you. a simple picture comparison of series parallel will probably make it at least somewhat more obvious to you. for example, this site might illuminate the topic for you .

fender has added a switch to their basses that changes them between series and parallel, called the S1 switch, so it's not unprecedented.

robb.

I agree. The G&L 2000 has dual humbuckers with a series/parallel switch. It's a great addition. Parallel is great for recording and Series sounds best live to my ears (unless there is a lot of noise generating stuff around).

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

NIKKI hooks his pinky into the optigrab as an anchor point when hes running around onstage and swinging it around in a cool rockstar kinda way.

rev i was thinking of suggesting in the post about leftys that you might try

flipping a bird :D

i guess you already did

:thu:

if your pulling the knobs putting on an on/off toggle switch might be a good idea

:D T-BIRD RULE!! :thu:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/LOWBOY/goth-T.jpg

have you thought of relocating the jackplug to a more lefty friendly spot as well?

if you dont want to drill a new hole in the end of the body

you might try getting a metal plate cut to replace the cavity cover and installing an angled stratocaster plug socket into it.

so the jackplug and cord comes out the back of the bass instead of the front.

...just an idea...

:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/LOWBOY/goth-T.jpg

Archived