Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

recommend a Marcus Miller album

MvW

I'm familiar with his playing from his short time with Miles Davis but I'm not familiar with his solo stuff and I want to change that. So, from his fans, which album(s) would you recommend for starters?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i would say, " The Sun Don't Lie " is my favorite Marcus record- but for Marcus in a different light, playing some very musical and challenging line and tone to die for , my favorite is Wayne Shorter's " High Life "- which Marcus produced and played on. Hearing Marcus play Shorter's lines, it's deeper than anything in his own records, in my humble, meaningless opinion

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

My .02

Live & More

you get to hear Marcus in a live situation with his own band playing his tunes, and hear him play saxophone (? bass clarinet or something similiar). Oh, and he sings too......

I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

Originally posted by bassaddik:

i would say, " The Sun Don't Lie " is my favorite Marcus record- but for Marcus in a different light, playing some very musical and challenging line and tone to die for , my favorite is Wayne Shorter's " High Life "- which Marcus produced and played on. Hearing Marcus play Shorter's lines, it's deeper than anything in his own records, in my humble, meaningless opinion

+1

I just purchased my first Marcus Miller CD two days ago.

Marcus Miller Live - The Ozell Tapes

As soon as everyone clears outta here tonight, I plan to pop it in and check it out!

> post-listening update < Wow! Definitely pick up this one! :thu::thu:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Adrian mentioned "High Life". I must agree. Be warned - it took me more than 3 years before I could listen to that cd. The day I bought it I almost threw it in the trash. Hated it! Tried it again a year later and again the next year. Didn't get it.

Then I heard a track on the radio and I was floored. Sometimes you just aren't ready, even for something that beatiful.

Agreed I'm afraid, Silver (though I own three of them). He writes his best stuff for other people. The Sun Don't Lie has the best tunes and is the most 'natural' sounding (whatever that means) IMHO. It's not just the chops and technique though, it's the 'feel' and the 'sound' for me.

High Life is great (though a bit abstract for some). I saw that material on tour with a great female bassist playing Marcus' lines (anyone remember who?) and it was a wonderful gig!

Originally posted by silver32012:

I only own M2. When I started listening to it, I was blown away by his chops and technique. BUT, as far as the actual song writing goes, I'm pretty indifferent. Sigh...let the flaming begin...

no flames here, i happen to agree with you

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

I have them all too. Tales would get my vote as my favourite. I just picked up the new one 'Silver Rain'. Wasn't sure at first but it's growing on me.
'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

I love Silver Rain. I also thought I was only cat in the universe who bought and liked Wayne Shorter's High Life cd! Abstract it is but I love Marcus' writing. Some folks don't get it but I get his stuff right away.
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

• 1 month later...

Archived