Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who's in their prime now?

It's a lot easier to say that this artist or that artist hasn't been good for years (past their prime). C'mon now, most artists peak and eventually start their decline. It's more challenging to point to who is currently in their prime RIGHT NOW. Who is at the top of their game at this point in time? Who, in 7 years or so, will people be talking about how so-and-so don't make albums like he/she/they used to in the early 2000's? I can only think of a few right now: Foo Fighters Radiohead Creed

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Creed is at the top of their game, they must not have much game. I agree about Radiohead. Here's a short list... Moby Eminem Wilco Already on the down slope: Sheryl Crow [quote]Originally posted by riffing: [b]Who is at the top of their game at this point in time? Who, in 7 years or so, will people be talking about how so-and-so don't make albums like he/she/they used to in the early 2000's? [/b][/quote]

[quote]Originally posted by SteveRB: [b]Dave Matthews, Doyle Dykes, Sade, White Buffalo, Pat Metheny Group.[/b][/quote]So totally right, except I don't know Doyle Dykes. That gives me someone to check out. Fun in store, I hope.

Hmmm...one person's definition of "peak" may differ from another's. For example, a lot of folks would say Phil Collins "peaked" after he went solo and became commercially successful, while many would say he "peaked" with Genesis. Some would say that he never peaked. But, it's just an example. But, careers can go from peak to valley to peak again. I just heard a new song on the radio from Dishwalla...the "Thoughts on God" band from a few years ago. Hadn't heard anything for years, and now they've got another single. But, that's just what I heard on the radio. So, who knows?
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Eliot: [b][QUOTE]Originally posted by SteveRB: [qb]I don't know Doyle Dykes. That gives me someone to check out. Fun in store, I hope.[/b][/quote]Doyle Dykes is not really MY taste, he plays contemporary or progressive bluegrass and is quite possibly the heir to the Chet Atkins/Merle Travis style of virtuosity and melody. He sometimes performs guitar clinics for Taylor Guitars and has a huge following by fingerstyle guitarists. He's one of those guys under the radar screen like Danny Gatton was.

For me,Tom Waites.He's been at the top of his game for decades,in my opinion.John Hiatt's been strong the last few years.Rodney Crowell seems back on form.Lucinda Williams just gets better.Hmmmmmm,all American acts......nobody in the UK at the moment seems to be writing stuff I can relate to.It's the songs that are important to me at the moment.Middle age..............

Big Hat. No Cattle.

http://www.theshrinks.com/

Chip, Now Im a huge phish phan (86 shows, 10 countries) but since they arent a band right now and most people agree that the last few years werent their best ( some argue for early 90's others for the funk of 97/98) i cant agree that they are at their peak. I do think DMB is riding his peak, as well as moby, wilco (been there a while), beck, and radiohead. Frost

I tend to like people's work just a hair before their peak and then again about 15 to 20 years later, should they be so lucky to be still releasing music at that age. It is usually around peak time that artists start taking themselves a wee bit too seriously. Just before peak, they are coming into the full power of their talent but not yet the full flower of their pampered ego. Immediately post peak, they are usually screwed up in the head, estranged from human reality, addicted. 15-20 years later, if alive, they are wizened and wisened, which can lead to great Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson albums. Tom Waits seems to have been 15-20 years past his peak since he was 25. Classic illustration of this trajectory is the Beatles. Rubber Soul and Revolver, *not* sgt. Peppers. Of course, that's a great record too. Lennon, to my mind, didn't live to hit his 3rd wind (Double Fantasy--blech) and that's a damn shame.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

At their peak now? You should probably define Peak.. If making constantly great money and working all the time mean anything it would have to be the likes of Garth Brooks, even Mick Jagger and the big draw names like Streisand, Cher and the upper echelon of the music business. The bands you all named are all great but when you have to pay $130 a ticket to see Cher I think that must be a peak of somekind. Don't let's forget the other musicians who get top dollar and are now at the peak of their games: The opera guys and gals, Yo Yo Ma, etc. Rather narrow focus if you think Phish or Cheryl Crow and even close...

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

In there Prime?? Nothing to do with sales right? Sarah, Alanis, Janet(maybe just a 1/2 hour past it!), Erykah Badu, Sheryl Crow, Mary J Blige, Bono(yes still!), D’Angelo , Britney(like it or not), Eminem(obvious), Jill Scott(but still growing) Nas, India Irie(Yes it's only been 1 album, but Ive been hearing this girl sing her songs since 1995 hear in Atlanta, and her writing could make her a legend one day!), OutKast, Fred Durst, Gwen Stefani, Yolanda Adams(gospel has never sounded better!), The Roots, Jay Z, Dr Dre, Maxwell, Meshell Ndegeocello, Usher, Dave Mathews(agreed), Dianna Krall, Rodney Jerkins(a true trackmaster), J-Lo(not much of a singer, but that Booty is in its ultimate form!), Ozzy(never ending prime) Rakim(never ending prime). Honorable Mention goes to - Alicia Keys- Really early, but what potential. Is she the next Roberta Flack?? bigger maybe? R. Kelly- Really a dishonerable mention because he should be in full stride to Stevie Wonderdom, One of the best writers around, but I guess he'll be writing from the cell like Rick James. Lauren Hill- Is she past it, or about to hit it...jury's still out, but she's got as much or more talent as anyone on this list. Musiq- Soulful young brotha on that D'Angelo vibe. Vanessa Carlton- I like this kid! great potential, good clean image, nice tunes! Rochell Ferrell-- Couldn't find a better singer if I tried, if only we could get a CD that matched her talent. Staind-- Lovin 'em! Huge song writing potential! Creed-- Strong songs and vocals, but I admit I dont know too much about modern rock.
TROLL . . . ish.

Prime is the artist or group matching or exceeding their prior best creativity, songwriting, or ability to move people. The problem with this concept is that someone can have many primes in their lifetime and some of the best have had careers that if charted would look like the Grand Tetons. Neil Young and Tina Turner for example. I would not count Stone Temple Pilots out yet. They are students of great rock and they have a work ethic that most young groups will just never adopt. I don't know if that will put them back in their prime, but if Scott Wieland starts doing smack again I think they have a good shot. I'm serious.

[quote]Originally posted by Mr. Downchild: [b]Doyle Bramhall II, Meshell N'degeOcello, D'Angelo, Sonny Landreth, Alicia Keys, Gonzalo Rubalcaba[/b][/quote]I swear, you are DEAD on!!!!!! I could add some alt country guys to that as well, and some blues upstarts. I have no idea why America hasn't caught on to Doyle and Sonny. Don't know who Gonzalo is, unless he's part of that group of Cuban musicians Ry Cooder brought to the masses last year or so. I used to live in Tangipahoa Parish eons ago, so I assume thats why we are clicking in on the same musical vibe! Killer choices.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[quote]Originally posted by Geenard Skeenard: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Downchild: [b]Doyle Bramhall II, Meshell N'degeOcello, D'Angelo, Sonny Landreth, Alicia Keys, Gonzalo Rubalcaba[/b][/quote]I swear, you are DEAD on!!!!!! I could add some alt country guys to that as well, and some blues upstarts. I have no idea why America hasn't caught on to Doyle and Sonny. Don't know who Gonzalo is, unless he's part of that group of Cuban musicians Ry Cooder brought to the masses last year or so. I used to live in Tangipahoa Parish eons ago, so I assume thats why we are clicking in on the same musical vibe! Killer choices.[/b][/quote]I presume that is the same Doyle Bramhall who played with Roger Waters on the US "In the Flesh" tour?

[quote]Originally posted by progfusion74: [b][QUOTE]I presume that is the same Doyle Bramhall who played with Roger Waters on the US "In the Flesh" tour?[/b][/quote]Yes, that's him. His father was Doyle Bramhall who played with Jimmie Vaughn, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Marcia Ball. Maybe talent is genetic.

meccajay, good call on a lot on your list - especially Gwen Stefani/No Doubt. SteveRB, good definition on what "prime" is. I agree with ya. The other thing I think of when someone is in their prime, is that they're doing the best stuff now and it'll only get worse as years roll by. Yes, there are artists than are in their prime for years and years but many only a few. This was part of what was interesting to me in pointing out who's their prime now - a little guess that they've peaked and can do no better. For those who listed artists, did you also think that they can do no better than what they're doing now? Before anyone gets all mad, it's just for fun! At least it's not as bad as guessing what famous people are gonna die this year! :p

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

-Maxwell. His last record "Now" is perfect IMHO. My wife has listened to it at least 50 times. -Dr.Dre -Wilco -Steve Earl Also, I'm betting that N.E.R.D.'s (the Neptunes) next record will be fantastic.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

[/QUOTE]I swear, you are DEAD on!!!!!! I could add some alt country guys to that as well, and some blues upstarts. I have no idea why America hasn't caught on to Doyle and Sonny. Don't know who Gonzalo is, unless he's part of that group of Cuban musicians Ry Cooder brought to the masses last year or so. I used to live in Tangipahoa Parish eons ago, so I assume thats why we are clicking in on the same musical vibe! Killer choices.[/QB][/QUOTE] Hey Geenard! I admire your good taste! :thu: Gonzalo Rubalcaba wasn't with The Buena Vista Social Club thing, he's far younger. He's a powerhouse jazz pianist from Cuba who is getting into his stride! What was the scene in Tangipahoa like, I might have to check it out!

aimee mann kasey chambers (just hitting her strides) bob dylan (that's a very long prime) tinder arts wrote: 'Milli Vannilli - they've never sounded better! ' those guys were just ahead of their time cheers max newcastle, oz

Hey Geenard! I admire your good taste! :thu: Gonzalo Rubalcaba wasn't with The Buena Vista Social Club thing, he's far younger. He's a powerhouse jazz pianist from Cuba who is getting into his stride! What was the scene in Tangipahoa like, I might have to check it out![/QB][/QUOTE] The Buena Vista Social Club thing floored me and of course I had to hear it on NPR because no other station would ever play it. I'll have to check that cat out though, Cuba is a musical powerhouse that most haven't tapped into. Yeah I lived in Loranger after my Dad bought a machine tool and die biz in Tickfaw, packing us up and moving from Texas. Oil and Chemical industry is HUGE in that area, as you well know. The music scene was eclectic but damn sure current. Back in the day you could still hear cutting edge stuff on AM, KAAY Little Rock came in clear at night, and the local stations played everthing from Al Green to Porter Wagonner depending on which time of day you dialed in. We used to play VFW and Catholic Social halls, as well as some cut and stab honky tonks (which sometimes can be one in the same in Louisiana!), and it forced you to learn an encyclopedic knowledge of tunage at the drop of a hat. Great education both in life and music. I miss living there for sure. Check out Hammond and around that area and you'll see the kind of music I was talking about.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[quote]Originally posted by TinderArts: [b]Milli Vannilli - they've never sounded better! :p [/b][/quote]I hear they're doing their next album on the Windows version of Logic 6. ;) :p :D

The Buena Vista Social Club thing floored me and of course I had to hear it on NPR because no other station would ever play it. I'll have to check that cat out though, Cuba is a musical powerhouse that most haven't tapped into. Yeah I lived in Loranger after my Dad bought a machine tool and die biz in Tickfaw, packing us up and moving from Texas. Oil and Chemical industry is HUGE in that area, as you well know. The music scene was eclectic but damn sure current. Back in the day you could still hear cutting edge stuff on AM, KAAY Little Rock came in clear at night, and the local stations played everthing from Al Green to Porter Wagonner depending on which time of day you dialed in. We used to play VFW and Catholic Social halls, as well as some cut and stab honky tonks (which sometimes can be one in the same in Louisiana!), and it forced you to learn an encyclopedic knowledge of tunage at the drop of a hat. Great education both in life and music. I miss living there for sure. Check out Hammond and around that area and you'll see the kind of music I was talking about.[/QB][/QUOTE] Hey Geenard, since I'm always back and forth from New Orleans, I usually end up bypassing Hammond, but one day I'll stop over there. Make sure you pick up 'Supernova' by Gonzalo. Not as much fireworks by Gonzalo, but very, very good playing and compositions. Also, check out Chucho Valdes' Live in New York cd. He's another Cuban hellion on piano. I got to take lessons from him when he came to NOLA a couple of years ago, and can't for the life of me figure out how a guy with hands as huge as his could be so damn fast and accurate! Another one who's in his prime! :thu:

Archived