Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Onboard preamp replacement

Gruuve

Originally posted by musicfiend:

I always thought that the preamp was boost only. By leaving the preamp flat do you mean you turn the knobs all the way down, or on the nominal?

The OBP-1 is 2-band -- treble and bass; boost only.

The OBP-3 is 3-band -- treble, mid, and bass; boost and cut.

C. Alex means that the knobs are set to 0 (i.e., no boost, no cut) on all three bands.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

I always thought that the preamp was boost only. By leaving the preamp flat do you mean you turn the knobs all the way down, or on the nominal?

The OBP-1 is 2-band -- treble and bass; boost only.

The OBP-3 is 3-band -- treble, mid, and bass; boost and cut.

C. Alex means that the knobs are set to 0 (i.e., no boost, no cut) on all three bands.

Peace.

--s-uu

Sweet(no pun intended there sweets). I wonder if there is a small, big, or a GIGANTIC difference in sound when the mid is set flat on the obp3.

Can anyone out there answer the question.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Im sorry. Allow me to clarify.

Since the obp1 is bosst only. The obp3 has both boost cut options. Does this make a difference when seet flat?

An easier way to ask it...Are they centered at the same frequency...well I can figure that out at the aguilar site, don't bother answering my question.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

I wonder if there is a small, big, or a GIGANTIC difference in sound when the mid is set flat on the obp3.

Can anyone out there answer the question.

Well, the OBP-3 is allegedly highly transparent, so I'd imagine there's little to no difference with the mid set flat. I assume you mean versus passive or bypass mode.

I think the stock onboard pre on this Hohner has a short or something. Today is the 3rd battery I've put into it. I thought perhaps with the first two fresh batteries I had accidentally left the active switch on overnight or something, but I'm positive I didn't leave it on last night, and BAM! (or more precisely...NO BAM!) it was dead again. Darned, now I HAVE to put a new onboard pre in... :D

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

The obp3 has the same bottom frequency when saet flat as the obp1. BUt the treble frequency is centered at 4khz on the obp3 and 6.5 khz on the obp3. This is what I wanted to know. Sorry about the inconvenience

I just wanted to know if the two preamps had the same basic design. I was not sure if the obp3 was just an obp1 with a mid control, or if it posessed a totally different sound.

Yes the OBP-3 is totally transparent. When all knobs are Flat (in the middle, no boost or cut) it sounds like it is in passive mode (you can also wire a passive/active switch in if you like) Or get a push/pull knob for switching and volume. I forget if you need a SPST, SPDT or DPDT switch. Look at the wiring diagram for it on aguilar's site.

And yes the OBP-3 is basically an OBP-1 with midrange controls. It being a 3 band and the 1 being a 2 band.

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

I just wanted to know if the two preamps had the same basic design. I was not sure if the obp3 was just an obp1 with a mid control, or if it posessed a totally different sound.

Okay, but that has nothing to do with what you posted previously.

Sorry. My intentions are not always clear when I say something. I'm not much of a person to explain something on a phone or a letter. But I just wanted to know whether they were designeds around the same frequencies to get the same sound when set flat. Thanks guys.

Hey there mr sisk

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7301881704&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Here is an obp3 going for 130 with a buy it now option.

Hey there mr sisk

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7301881704&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Here is an obp3 going for 130 with a buy it now option.

Yup...Musicians Friend has it for $129 as well. I'm trying to find one locally, but doesn't look anyone carries Aguilar products here...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks:

Sorry to bump this thread, but a new thought occurred to me. I really like the tonal variation I can get out of my MM SR5 by flipping the switch that sets the pickup coils to series/single/parallel. I was wondering if there'd be any value in perhaps wiring an additional toggle switch into this new setup that will allow me to switch the two pickups between in-phase and out-of-phase. I know this is done on a few guitars, but I don't recall ever seeing it on a bass. Any idea if this would be useful in terms of getting more tonal variety in the Hohner Franken-bass, or would it be a waste of time?

Thx!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

Hey folks:

Sorry to bump this thread, but a new thought occurred to me. I really like the tonal variation I can get out of my MM SR5 by flipping the switch that sets the pickup coils to series/single/parallel. I was wondering if there'd be any value in perhaps wiring an additional toggle switch into this new setup that will allow me to switch the two pickups between in-phase and out-of-phase. I know this is done on a few guitars, but I don't recall ever seeing it on a bass. Any idea if this would be useful in terms of getting more tonal variety in the Hohner Franken-bass, or would it be a waste of time?

Thx!

Dave

In Phase/Out Phase and series/parallel are two different animals. The series/parallel setup is quite useful. I set up my homemade this way so I could switch the 2 coils on the Bart MMC between the two. Series gives a noticable bit more oomph and parallel is definately quieter (I use this when recording). I have In/Out phase on my Peavey T-40 and to be honest, I find little use for out-of-phase (the only time I ever used it live was to go back between the keyboard and bass part at the beginning of Boston's Foreplay/Longtime). The sound out-of-phase is VERY thin.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Originally posted by Steve Lawson:

i'll put in another recommendation for the U-Retro/J-Retro - I've got them in two basses, and am putting them in my third one v. soon. It's got a sweepable midrange, and the treble control cuts and boosts at different frequencies, so that the boost is more highend, but the roll-off is closer to that of a passive treble roll-off. It also has a really tasty 'bright' push/pull thing on the treble control that adds 'air' in much the same way that a really good piezo pickup does.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

http://www.east-uk.com

cheers!

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

Yup, I took a good look at the JRetro and URetro (sp?)...these look awefully nice, but they cost more than I bought the bass for! :freak: I wanted to keep the budget to around $100 or so. I've looked at Bartolini's site, but it's so disorganized I can't find the same kind of info as I can at Aguilar's site. Everyone says that the Aguilar OBP-3 is the most transparent, and it was easy to find a clear wiring diagram that shows how to wire up the sweepable mid. I'm still planning to go with the Aguilar, because I really like the 80-ish vibe of the passive tone. The original preamp seemed to clean some of the fret clank out of the tone with it active, so I'm hoping I'll get a little of the same characteristic out of the OBP-3...if not, I'll gain a lot more flexibility that it originally had.

Lug, thanks for the note on the out-of-phase question...sounds like it would be a wasted of time, so I'll forget that one.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

OK, I was just looking at the OBP-3 wiring diagram again. Someone on another thread had raised a red flag with my intention of replacing the current 3 knobs with a stacked volume x 2, stacked treble+bass, and stacked mid+sweep. The stacked volume pots are 500K pots stock so those should be easy to find. The stacked treble+bass that comes with the OBP-3 are 50k ohm pots (which to my understanding, are quite difficult to find). From looking at the diagram, the mid pot and the pot to use for a mid sweep should be 50k also, so it's looks like I'd just need to get another stacked 50k pot from Aguilar and I'll be all set for this 3-stacked knob configuration.

Am I missing anything that's crucial here? If I am, I don't see it...

I still haven't ordered the OBP-3, but the body is still waiting on me to finish sanding it anyway... :freak:

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks:

Just wanted to post an update. I was hoping to end up with 3 stacked knobs, volume x 2, bass + treble, and mid + sweep, but it looks like the Aguilar OBP-3 uses pots that are very difficult to find in a concentric (ie. stacked) config. I'm actually taking a close look at the EMG-BQC, which is a 3-band active EQ with stacked bass + treble and mid + freq sweep (I've ordered a stacked 500K pot for the two volumes already). This guy comes with the pots and knobs, and seems to have more flexibility built into it than the Aguilar, judging by the specs, and it's less expensive (looks like around $90). The mid sweep range is much bigger, and there's also mini-switches to set the treble frequency center. This might be the ticket.

It looks like these are OEM'd on a few basses...does anyone have any good or bad experiences with this particular onboard EQ/preamp?

Right now, I'm still sanding the old finish off, so I've still got a little more time to research this. I've taken a close look at the U-Retro, and if money were no object, I'd definitely go with that guy! But at $300, it would bust my budget on this project...

Oh, one other thing...I'm very tempted to just go with a master volume + blend (if I can find it as a stacked pot) rather than volume x 2. Electronically, I'm sure either is equivalent when in active mode. In passive mode, though I got the impression that there's some disadvantage to vol + blend versus vol x 2. Could anyone refer me to any discussion on another board? I don't see anything about the drawbacks of this via search...

TIA!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Another update: OK, I think I've just about decided on the EMG-BQC (thanks for the tip on that one Lug!). It comes with stacked pots for bass + treble and mid + sweep. The basic wiring diagrams don't show a way to bypass it, but I just got a bypass diagram from EMG's tech support. It's a hard-wired bypass using a DPDT switch, but that's fine with me. The mid sweep range is 300 Hz - 3KHz, so that's a much wider range than the OBP-3. Also, the BQC has switches on the board to set the treble frequency center to one of four different values. On paper, the EMG-BQC is looking like a winner (and it's about $85 vs the OBP-3's $125 or so to boot).

I've sent back a question to their tech folks asking about it's transparency, but that isn't such a big deal as long as I can bypass it. Cool!

Now, I've just got to figure if there's a way to get the on/off LED into the circuit as well...I like the way Hohner did this originally with the LED on when the preamp is engaged and off when the preamp is off. Doesn't seem like that should be too difficult (but then, I don't have any electronics training either!)

Still progressing...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

Another update: OK, I think I've just about decided on the EMG-BQC (thanks for the tip on that one Lug!). It comes with stacked pots for bass + treble and mid + sweep. The basic wiring diagrams don't show a way to bypass it, but I just got a bypass diagram from EMG's tech support. It's a hard-wired bypass using a DPDT switch, but that's fine with me. The mid sweep range is 300 Hz - 3KHz, so that's a much wider range than the OBP-3. Also, the BQC has switches on the board to set the treble frequency center to one of four different values. On paper, the EMG-BQC is looking like a winner (and it's about $85 vs the OBP-3's $125 or so to boot).

I've sent back a question to their tech folks asking about it's transparency, but that isn't such a big deal as long as I can bypass it. Cool!

Now, I've just got to figure if there's a way to get the on/off LED into the circuit as well...I like the way Hohner did this originally with the LED on when the preamp is engaged and off when the preamp is off. Doesn't seem like that should be too difficult (but then, I don't have any electronics training either!)

Still progressing...

Dave

Very transparent in my opinion. EMG strongly suggests using 18 volt (it works with 9 or 18)for more headroom. I find the boost/cut levels to be nice and linear and all usable.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Archived