Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Onboard preamp replacement

Gruuve

Hey Folks:

I'm really liking my new/old Hohner Jack 5-string. It's got a vibe that seems to work really well with a lot of the songs we do in church.

I have decided that there's one thing on it that I really don't care for, and that's the active preamp. It has bass and treble boost knobs, but boosting either of those frequencies seems to be kind of useless. Increasing the lows makes them boomy, and increasing the highs brings out nothing but the clackiness of fret noise. Doesn't seem like the EQ is voiced very well.

So, anyone have any opinions on good replacement onboard preamps? Something with 2 or 3 bands of semi-parametric EQ would be really nice (a lot of flexibility!). The bass sounds good in passive mode or in active mode with the boost knobs turned all the way down, so I think I'll keep the stock pickups. Would anyone be kind enough to post some guidance? I have used the search function and still reading a few posts, but nothing's jumping out at me.

TIA,

Dave

UPDATE: I've changed the title of the thread to more accurately reflect the content.

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats the sound you want? How much are you willing to spend? Do you have any preferred brands whose sound you've enjoyed in the past?

Maybe a nice pasive system with intuitive controls and NICE pickups could give you enough versalitity and sound.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Good questions...I like the sound of the bass now, but in a nutshell the EQ is pretty useless...or that's my take on it at the moment. Budget = whatever it takes within reason . I've never really priced onboard preamps, so I don't really know if we're looking at $100, $1000, or something in between..."within reason" would probably mean up to $200 or so. I'm not looking to drastically change the sound, just make the range of tones I can get out of it wider and more flexible...dig?

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Are you talking about the passive sound when plugged in, or the acoustic sound.

YOu could get active emg pickup and stick with a passive preamp, or get the whole active system.

I prefer bartolini system as they can be transparent but give you a lot more flexibility with enhanced bass and treble.

But, If I were to go in with a hohner jack right now, I would probably just invest a nice set of passive pickups and go with a volume, tone, pickup switch system.

AS far as pickups go, I've read that lindy fralins will give you a fairly flat response, while still delivering outstanding clarity and improved bass.

I hear a local player play a fender pj with fralins. MAN, he sounded great, it was pleasingly warm, BIG, but still clear. Thereis also a website that features soundclips of different pickups...fralins being one of them. I'll find it in a minute.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Originally posted by jeremy c:

There are good choices out there for new preamps.

Bartolini

Aguilar

J-Retro

just to name a few.

I just got a Bartolini for my 2000 Am P- Bass; just waiting for the battery box to show up before I install it. If it's good enough for Marcys Miller, it's probably good enough for me.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

I've used a J-Retro in a couple project basses. It's a sweet preamp. Very flexible and sounds fantastic. They are on the expensive side - around $300.

I currently have the Bartolini 5.4 A/P preamp in both my basses along with Bartolini pickups.

Originally posted by musicfiend:

http://www.subsonicfamily.com/bass/

here you go dave, some j bass pipckups for your listening pleasure.

Wow! This guy really put some work into this comparison...sound files of every combination he tested. Bass Player mag should start doing this with their comparisons!

Thanks for the posts, folks. I'll listen to these samples. I was researching and it looks like most preamp+pickup combo's are less than $200, so that's cool. The preamp in the Hohner currently is very small...there's a flip-lid compartment on the back that has one 9V battery and the preamp...the preamp is exactly the same size and shape as a 9V battery and there seems to be a reasonable amount of room in the compartment where the pots are for a small preamp, so either a 9V or 18V setup looks like it would probably be possible with minimal wood carving involved.

I'm certainly not opposed to changing the pickups, but I would really like to keep the ability to run the pickups passive when I choose (override a dead battery PLUS I've discovered that I kind of like the vibe of the passive mode for some stuff)...that's another preference that I forgot to mention. How do I know if a particular pickup and/or preamp combination will let me do that? If it doesn't specifically say that it allows passive operation, then is it always active? I'd guess that I have to use passive pickups + active preamp to achieve this capability...is this correct?

Thx!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Another thought...is it possible to change the voicing of the EQ by replacing capacitors with different values? Or is that only with passive tone controls? Sorry, I've looked in the compartment where the pots are, but I honestly can't recall if there are capacitors soldered to the pots or not, and I'm at work now so I can't just go look... :freak: I gather from the above test site's discussion that this may be possible.

Or even better, perhaps replacing a fixed capacitor with a variable capacitor? I'd have to drill a hole for another knob, but it might be worth it...hmmmm...

UPDATE: OK, I obviously don't know what the heck I'm talking about here, especially since the site talks about 250K vs 500K pots (variable resistors) and I was just talking about variable capacitors...duh. :freak: I think I need to go do some more reading! :thu:

Thx!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I put in the little EMG BTC Control (for passive pups) in my bass and am quite happy with it. It runs on 9 or 18 volt, the boost amounts are all usable, it is very reassonably priced, and it will fit almost anywhere.

http://www.gtrheaven.com/images/EMG_BTC_Control.jpg

This is only a two band control, but has 2 dip swithes that alow you to set the crossover point at 4 different freq locations . EMG has a three band for passive but I havent tried it.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Variable capacitors is what the famous Gibson Varitone dial on the ES-345 guitar is.

It's probably been tried on a bass, but I can't think of which one at the moment.

I believe the jack casady bass has a similar design to the electronics, as does some older gibson eb series basses that have that switch....

You could get quite a versatile passive system based on that casady system./...

Don't forget to talk to talk to C alex claber, he made a pretty darn good fretless project based on a hohner jack, I believe he dropped in a mec preamp he had on hand. He also stripped the pain, which he said made a big difference. It's amazing how much of a difference these little modifications can make on a basses tone and playability, ESPECIALLY if it's a lower model bass

Link to sounds of alex's bass

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=008209

Originally posted by musicfiend:

Don't forget to talk to talk to C alex claber...

Already have... ;) I think we determined that this one is a later model than Alex's fretless Jack...his had passive pickups and no active preamp stock. I do plan to do the same thing that Alex did with the stripping though, but more for appearance purposes than sound...this bass looks great in a natural wood finish. Plus, as we know, it's too loud now with it being black...it'll be much quieter in a natural wood finish. :thu:

The thing I was really looking for but still haven't come across is a 3-band pre with semi-parametric mids. Looks like the Bartolini and Aguilar get close...there's a switch to set the mid-frequency...hmmm.

Ya know, I've played a couple of Roscoe basses, and both had Bartolini pickups and preamps (one had soap bars, one had J-pickups)...and I recall I really liked the sound of those. I may have to dig down that path some more...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by lug:

I put in the little EMG BTC Control (for passive pups) in my bass and am quite happy with it. It runs on 9 or 18 volt, the boost amounts are all usable, it is very reassonably priced, and it will fit almost anywhere.

http://www.gtrheaven.com/images/EMG_BTC_Control.jpg

This is only a two band control, but has 2 dip swithes that alow you to set the crossover point at 4 different freq locations . EMG has a three band for passive but I havent tried it.

Hey Lug, that's pretty cool. I was actually thinking of looking for something like this for the Dean fretless...it has passive EMG-HZ's (which I really like on that particular bass) but it's passive tone control really doesn't do that much in all honesty. This looks like it might actually be a really good replacement for that passive tone control...would just have to find room for a battery...

Thx for the post!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

On EMG. On one of my basses, I have EMG active P/J pickups with the EMG BQC preamp with variable mid control wired with 18 volt. A ton of tonal options but has a sound that is not as warm as I find on other Preamps. I guess it is all in one's taste.

Originally posted by shandobass:

On EMG. On one of my basses, I have EMG active P/J pickups with the EMG BQC preamp with variable mid control wired with 18 volt. A ton of tonal options but has a sound that is not as warm as I find on other Preamps. I guess it is all in one's taste.

I agree on EMG's being a bit sterile, but I have the BTC Contol on a Bart MMC and don't feel I've lost any of the Bart warmth. I think the EMG pups are more the cause than the electronics.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

i'll put in another recommendation for the U-Retro/J-Retro - I've got them in two basses, and am putting them in my third one v. soon. It's got a sweepable midrange, and the treble control cuts and boosts at different frequencies, so that the boost is more highend, but the roll-off is closer to that of a passive treble roll-off. It also has a really tasty 'bright' push/pull thing on the treble control that adds 'air' in much the same way that a really good piezo pickup does.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

http://www.east-uk.com

cheers!

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

The OBP-3 can be wired for sweepable rather than switchable mids - check out the pdf on Aguilar's site for all the different wiring configurations.

Alex

Oh really? Cool, I'll give that a look. Is that true of the Bartolini preamp as well?

I really appreciate all the posts, guys!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Hey folks:

I think I've decided to go with the Aguilar OBP-3. It can be wired with a frequency knob rather than a switch to select the mid frequency, AND can be wired to still allow a passive only mode, AND it's supposedly quite transparent. This sounds like what I want (I'll have to drill for another stack pot for the mids, but that's fine).

Thanks very much for all the links and subjective opinions. The U-retro's do look pretty sweet, but they're a little more than I was looking to spend.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

AND it's supposedly quite transparent.

I now have a bypass switch on mine and I cannot hear any difference between flat EQ and totally bypassed through my revealing Acme rig.

Good choice - that bass boost alone is worth the price of admission!

Alex

I actually just set my OBP-3 with a Sweepable mid knob. I love it. I have it set up with the bass and treble stacked. I would highly reccomend it.

and of course my LEDs. :)

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Originally posted by Mr. Phil:

I actually just set my OBP-3 with a Sweepable mid knob. I love it. I have it set up with the bass and treble stacked. I would highly reccomend it.

The bass it'll be going into currently has pots for bridge volume, neck volume, and a stacked bass + treble pot. I was thinking I'd just add another stacked knob for mid boost/cut + frequency sweep, but in looking at the cavity I'm not sure there's room for another pot without routing some wood. So, I think what I'll shoot for is 3 stacked knobs, one for volume X 2 pickups, one for mid + sweep, then one for bass + treble. The pots are noisy and need to be replaced anyway. Cool! No drilling either!

Actually, I wouldn't mind replacing the two pickup volumes with a master volume and blend control instead. I wonder if this is possible while still keeping the passive mode available? I don't recall ever seeing a bass with two pickups and a blend knob...seems it always two volume knobs if passive, but that might just be my memory failing me... :freak:

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

AND it's supposedly quite transparent.

I now have a bypass switch on mine and I cannot hear any difference between flat EQ and totally bypassed through my revealing Acme rig.

Good choice - that bass boost alone is worth the price of admission!

Alex

I always thought that the preamp was boost only. By leaving the preamp flat do you mean you turn the knobs all the way down, or on the nominal?

Originally posted by Mr. Phil:

The bass it'll be going into currently has pots for bridge volume, neck volume, and a stacked bass + treble pot. I was thinking I'd just add another stacked knob for mid boost/cut + frequency sweep, but in looking at the cavity I'm not sure there's room for another pot without routing some wood. So, I think what I'll shoot for is 3 stacked knobs, one for volume X 2 pickups, one for mid + sweep, then one for bass + treble. The pots are noisy and need to be replaced anyway. Cool! No drilling either!

Actually, I wouldn't mind replacing the two pickup volumes with a master volume and blend control instead. I wonder if this is possible while still keeping the passive mode available? I don't recall ever seeing a bass with two pickups and a blend knob...seems it always two volume knobs if passive, but that might just be my memory failing me... :freak:

Dave

The warwick thumb bass, some fender jazz basses, and several others have passive systems available with a volume and blend knob.

Archived