Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Powered pedalboard that works?

musicfiend

I have'nt really used effects in the past except for a single stompbox and a zoom mutlieffects unit.

I recently bought a bigmuff that has a plug for a cable to lead to your power source, a memory man that has an atached 2 prong plug, and a boss tu 2 tuner that is a nine volt pedal.

It seems that all of the powered pedalboards I have seen only accept 9 volt pedals (I'm pretty sure I'm wrong).

At the moment, I need a powered pedal board that will accept the 2 prong plug from the memory man, the 9 voltboos pedal tuner, the bigg muff which I don't know how I will connect, and possibly the zoom multi effect unti or an electro harmonix pog in the future.

Damned impulse shopping!

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds tricky - I would refer you to BGO and his homebuilt board with the A/C stuff hidden.

As for the Big Muff - I had one of those babies years ago. If there is no clue as to the voltage required, you have to open it up. There should be info on the board where the power supply leads hit it.

You may also wait for someone who knows a little bit more to chime in. :)

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Thanks.

These two pedals sound awesome btw.

I'll be taking the memory man to a jam tomorrow. And I've already intonated my two basses with the pedal tuner. The new strings on my yamaha, btw, are amazing. They are d 'addario nickelwound xl roundwounds 45-105with soft tops and regular bottoms. They sound really aggressive and have a lot of bite, akin to steel wounds.

I've tried slow wound d'addarios, the coated d'addario series, elixers, la balla flats and fender flats(these shouldnt count), along with ernie ball slinkies.

I an honestly say these get that "new string" sound down better than any other string I've used, to my ears at least

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Well, here's an idea:

Buy or Build a Pedalboard (Building one is a lot easier and cheaper than you think, and you can customize it in a lot of ways. Then you can buy a power strip that you can velco/ strap onto your board. Plug the Memory Man directly into the power strip, then you can either;

A.) Buy the Godlyke Power supply for 40.00, attached it to your pedals (it has adapters for all different kinds of pedals), and then plug it into your power strip.

or

B.) Buy the 9 volt adapters for each individual pedal and connect them to the power strip.

I highly recommend option A, since it's cheaper, and works very well.

Then, KABOOM, you've got a powered pedalboard.

It's quiet cheap....

building pedalboard....30.00-50.00

Power strip............7.00-10.00

Godlyke power supply...39.99

:D

Good luck with your pedals.

:thu:

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

I feel like I might be better off if I can find a deal on the furman board mentioned earlier.

It as enough plugs for what ever I need.

And if I end up buying more pedals I'll be fine.

I might see it going down like this....

memory man

big muff

boss tu2

ernie ball volume pedal

EH POG (possibly)

It seems like there will be just enough space, and I will have just enough dough

Originally posted by Bass_god_offspring:

Then, KABOOM, you've got a powered pedalboard.

And after BGO's feature in Bass Player, you too will be able to acquire a BGO KABOOM Custom Stompboard for the low low(down) price of $169 + tax/shipping/handling.

ATM

And after BGO's feature in Bass Player, you too will be able to acquire a BGO KABOOM Custom Stompboard for the low low(down) price of $169 + tax/shipping/handling.

ATM

LMAO

hell, if i sold pedalboards, and sold them at that price i'd have a net gain of about 140.00 per pedalboard, lol. :D;)

Next Up, BGO KABOOM Pedal Case

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Originally posted by Bass_god_offspring:

Free set of steak knifes with each purschase!

Now i've gotta think "InfoMercials" :D
STEAKKNIFES.............BRILLIANT!!!

INFOMERCIALS............BRILLIANT!!!

THINK...................BRILLIANT!!!

FREE..........it could use some work

It sure would be nice if there was a simple power strip/conditioner that had AC outlets PLUS a simple 9V output jack, wouldn't it? Then you could use the simple daisy-chain cable like Roland makes to power all your 9V pedals, and plug in your 120V stuff...nah, that would be too simple and elegant! :D

Doesn't seem like this would be at all difficult for a power strip and/or power supply mfg to make... ;)

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by basshappi:

Uhmm, you mean like this

Click Me

Interesting. I was thinking more like just a power strip with 6 or so AC outlets and maybe one or two 9V DC jacks...this is kind of the opposite, but this is pretty cool. At $165, I see it costs an arm and a leg... :freak:

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by basshappi:

In that case mount a powerstrip on the board and use a Godlyke daisy-chain plug.

a la this :D

This is pretty much what I'll end up doing. It would just be nice if a power strip with a 9V DC transformer and a 9V jack or two already built into it existed! It would be soooo elegant and simple... :love:

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I've got it worked out, almost.

On the furman board I will have connections galore, so that's not a problem.

I have the memory man , big muff, and the tuner worked in perfectly space wise (in my head). I can add the EH POG and an ernie ball or similar volume pedal. This leaves room for one more stompbox a la boss, dod, etc.

I was considering the boss acoustic simulator. I don't know anyone who's tried it on bass. But I would assume it would sound unique and quite useful for cutting through and accentuating bridges or certain songs with a unique voice. Any other suggestions, or maybe must have pedals to take up this extra space.

I say you should make the home made board, use the Godlyke Power-All (great unit, oodles of connectors come with it), and attach a power strip to it, and you're done for less than $60.

That's just what I did though....

You guys have finally gottenunder my skin...and thats a good thing :D

I've decided to build my own pedalboard.

I found a way to keep the pedalboard flar yet not deal with any accidental slips of the foor.

CAll it strategy if you want. Well, I will just follow the directions given to BGo and I think I'll be set.

The board will have a power strip and golyke pa9 along with the boss tu2 in the top row

and a deluxe memory man, big muff, and volume pedal in the bottom row(left to right)

Any extra tips on making the board, or suggestions for a volume pedal.

Thanks for the constant....and I mean constant.....persuasion to build the board

Now just one thing to remember.....measure once, cut twice....got it ;)

Ernie Ball volume pedals are really good.

BE SURE to find the right type of Carpeting, or Velco to go on your board, it's very important that the pedals stick to it.

When u measure it, be sure to calculate the space needed in between the pedals for the cables to go.

Good luck! and be sure to send pics! :thu:

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Originally posted by musicfiend:

You guys have finally gottenunder my skin...and thats a good thing :D

I've decided to build my own pedalboard.

I found a way to keep the pedalboard flar yet not deal with any accidental slips of the foor.

CAll it strategy if you want. Well, I will just follow the directions given to BGo and I think I'll be set.

The board will have a power strip and golyke pa9 along with the boss tu2 in the top row

and a deluxe memory man, big muff, and volume pedal in the bottom row(left to right)

Thanks for the constant....and I mean constant.....persuasion to build the board

Now just one thing to remember.....measure once, cut twice....got it ;)

i don't know if the godlyke power supply will have a connection for your big muff pedal(you will have to find an adapter(if they make one), be sure you get the polarity correct!). i have the same and have ran into this problem. that is why i was looking at the furman. i also have a pro co rat pedal i have to connect so i need two of the same connectors for both of the pedals. let me know what you come up with. making the pedal board is no problem for me but the connections drive me nuts.

The big muff says has it written on it that it uses ac not dc, so I will be relying on the power strip for the two EH pedals. For connections, you might want to check out the pedal pad power source. Looking up pedal pad on google should lead you to it. I know that it has two ac outputs for effects and several dc outputs for 9 volt effects

I've decided on the George L's vintage red effects cable kit for my cables. They do not require soldering, just careful planning before cutting. I've also decided on the godlyke pa-9 for power, along with the power strip. Looking at the ernie ball volume pedals, I could not find an ac or dc output for power, this worries me, as I know my bud's vox wah pedal doesn't have this option...the the ernie ball might not either! I'm planning on carpeting the board and using vecro to fasten down the pedals. Can somebody (cough-BGO, nutt, blah blah blah-endcough) give me examples of polyurethane and sealer to use for good results. I'm planning on making it about 20.5" by 13.5". Finally, is it ok to use the carpeting as a border for the board also(i.e; go around the top and sides of the board with carpet and staple gun it down from the top to bottom)

Thanks y'all,

Arwin

I built this a few years ago:

http://www.liqwid.net/bassrig.php

ignore everything about the bass rig itself, that has all long since changed.. and in fact I dont have any of those pedals anymore either, but I do still have the board.

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

ok.....

Big Muff: I have the Russian version (I personally think it's better than the American one), and i power it via an adapter (look at the thread with the pics of my pedalboard for more info). The godlyke power supply comes with an adapter to connect pedals that don't have a 9V out (Like a big muff). i use one of these adapters to connect my big muff, you shouldn't have a problem.

Pedalboard: The deminsions sound good, cept what thickness of wood are you going to use? and what type of Wood? Personally, i would suggest adding a metal edging to the edges of the board, it works very well. If you are going to use carpeting on the board the all you should do is cover the wood with wood sealant (even though this isn't really 100% neccessary).

If you decide to use the type of velco that comes in strips to attach to the board, then you really don't need any carpeting, but you should still seal it. Try adding on maybe a rubber matt to the bottom or some type of rubber stand so your board doesn't slide around on stage.

Note: if you use the metal edging, cut it with a hack saw, and glue it onto the wood with Wood glue (If you use fiberboard or plywood then screws will split the wood if you use them to close to the edge.

Note 2: Use spray on adhesive if you use carpeting, it works well.

Note 3: if you go with carpeting, use an exacto knife or razor blade to cut it, it's faster, and works better than scissors.

Good luck! :D

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Plans have changed a little. I'm, still going to use half inch plywood, but it will have a slightly different size. I'd like to first cut, sand, clean, seal, and then stain, and polyurethane. I will use the hook and loop pieces of vecro glued on to the board(no carpet)

I'm still going to use the same pedals, godlyke power, george L's cables.

Does it matter how I connect the pedals (if I plug the distortion and chorus in before the volume...will they not be effected, how should I connect the pedals?)

Also, where can I get a rubber mat to adhesive to the bottom of the board?

Thanks you guys

I dont know why I did it.....I was set on my making my own pedalboard, but I found one on ebay that's the exact size I need. It has aluminum siding, the top is velcro compatible, and it has handles. IT is reasonably priced(same amount as if I were to make the board)....should I buy the board, purchase the godlyke pa9, and geaorge L's cables and call it a day?

Here is the board n question

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22669&item=3776217711&rd=1

I used aluminum channel - avaliable at any lumber/home store to trim out the edges. It's "U" shaped and all you do is cut it to length, use 45 degree angles (like a picture frame)and screw it to the board. Gives it a nice "professional" look.

Does it matter how I connect the pedals (if I plug the distortion and chorus in before the volume...will they not be effected, how should I connect the pedals?)

Yes, it matters a great deal, actually.

I think Harmony-Central has a primer on this. Go searching...

I dont know why I did it.....I was set on my making my own pedalboard, but I found one on ebay that's the exact size I need. It has aluminum siding, the top is velcro compatible, and it has handles. IT is reasonably priced(same amount as if I were to make the board)....should I buy the board, purchase the godlyke pa9, and geaorge L's cables and call it a day?

Here is the board n question

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22669&item=3776217711&rd=1 [ /QUOTE]

That board sure is pretty, but you'd have no satisfaction of actually building it yourself. I think that the price is okay... not spectacular though, and it "actual shipping" may be a little bit pricey.

I still say build it yourself. The handles are a gimmick if you ask me. Build one with personality and spray paint it safety orange or hot pink (cover the top with carpet and it will only show on the bottom).

actually yes...

Normally you should go...

1.) Compressor/limter

2.) Distortion

3.) modulation (Wahs, filter effectss, flangers)

4.)chorus

5.) Reverb

i was going with my wah before my big muff, and it totally drained to sound of my phase 90 and flanger. once i plugged the big muff in before the modulation effects my signal stayed perfectly constant.

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Archived