Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

44 HURTZ R.I.P

Mike Bear

Yesterday I came into work with a note on my music stand saying that John would not be in for his lesson Tuesday. Today I came to work with a note on my door that John wasn't going to make his lesson today, he had passed away yesterday.

Some of you know John by the screen name 44HURTZ. He was only slightly newer to the Lowdown than me. Please allow me to share a few thoughts about him.

Tuesdays were good teaching days because my last student was John. We would chat for a few before playing and we always had a good lesson. He was always smiling and never down if he wasn't getting something. He had an attitude I wish I would see in most pro's. John had been taking lessons from me for 9 months. He started out by borrowing a coworkers bass. Ended up with Dean Edge and started getting more and more gear. The man had no fear of playing with other people like some beginners. He frequently had family jams where different players came from different generations. Sometimes his nephew would ask him to learn some Vai, and sometimes he'd just enjoy playing some classic rock. Either way he found it fun. Never complained. Another great quality. The man dove head first into the life. It was like he was always fueled. John was very engulfed in his theory studies. He purchased quite a few of Ed Friedland's books amongst others.

When I first got John's sign up sheet for lessons. I thought, "Oh great". That was with sarcasm. I can't exactly remember, but John was between 63-65. At times, when I get a student who's at least 15 years older than me, they may not always be comfortable with someone my age being their teacher. John put all his trust in me. It made me more comfortable and I know it helped me give better lessons.

I'm very sorry for the rest of you who never had a chance to meet John. I know he had intended on going to Steve Lawson's master class in San Jose this month.

I'm not exactly sure what the nature of his passing is. I'll call his family within the next day or so. I don't know if I'll even ask.

The man loved the sound and feel of the bass. I know you all know what that's like. We lost someone really special.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very saddened to hear this. He was always pleasent on the board and though I did not know him personally, he was a forum brother, and I will miss him. My condolences to you and to his family, may God's peace be with you and them in this time.

Deepest regards, Dan

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I am sorry for his family, fiends, and of course the people whose lives he changed, like you. But I just wish I could have met him and I'm sure after your heart felt response we all wish we could too. On behalf of the forum I would like to send my thank yu for the anouncement and my sorrow at hearing it.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Sorry for your loss. Sorry for our loss.

John and I shared a couple yucks when I first came here. Sounds like he was as great off the forum as on.

Rest In Peace John.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Wow.

Thanks, Mike, for letting us know.

Too sad. It's a shame to have lost another LDL brutha. Check in w/ Connie Z. and she'll include him (I would expect) in her memorial website that began with RobT.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Peace.

--Willie

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I also share condolences.

It is gratifying to realize that John did spend his waning years getting into something he loved, the bass. Mike, I'm sure you brought him a lot of joy.

Lowdown is a tiny microcosm of life. We've had birth, death, marriage, breakups, car accidents and even a shooting in self defense. Let's all remember to share life and live in joy.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

God bless John.

Thanks, Mike, for sharing that. I'm glad the two of you had such a mutually rewarding relationship. In my own field I've also had students far older than me, in some cases retired with doctorates! They make such interesting students, because they're all about just diving into learning something new. It should be inspiring to us who are younger than they to see such vitality & curiosity.

Condolences to all John's family and friends.

I remember noticing John's posts and thinking "I like this guy, he's a cool new member!" Enjoyed his TP signature quote too. One of his posts regarding our fellow brother RobT is painfully ironic but on the bright side, in John's own words:

"Bass players don't die, they just sustain forever."

RIP John.

Alex

This is so sad - John had, as Mike said, signed up for the masterclass, and emailed me to say how much he was looking forward to it. And I was looking forward to meet him - I love meeting bassists from all backgrounds, and there's something great about guys who pick up a bass later on in life and are fulfilling a life long ambition to play music.

My condolences to his family and friends, what a terribly sad day.

peace

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

I've only made the post about John 8 hours ago. But the thread has been amazing in thoughts, and support. I will certainly share these thoughts when I talk to his family, or whom ever I may speak to on behalf of them. John deserves such a tribute and even more. He was still working full time, had a tight bond with his family from what I gathered and had a very musical life. I know for instance that he played some violin as an adolescent. Many others in his family played instruments. His family supported his new addiction with open arms. In fact, his son bought his Dean bass for him as a gift. I can go on and on about the man who I only spent a very short time once a week with. I bet I only knew 1% of how very cool he was.

As for me, this thread has been nice to read. The way I found out about his passing was so crude. I have just a horrible taste about it. It was on a sticky, like a typical cancellation. I'll blame young ignorance and try to let it go.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

I enjoyed John's posts. I'm sorry to see him go, and sorry for his family. Mike's description says a lot about how close John was with his family.

Sustain forever, John. I'll be praying for you and your family.

Mike - thanks for sharing this with us. By all means contact Connie. And please let his family know about our condolences, and about Connie's tribute. Perhaps they can add something.

And Mike - don't be too hard on the person that left you the message. This is never easy news to pass along. By all means let them know what you thought of John, so that (if they are young) they learn something about the value of people.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

It very sad to read this. I have been so excited these past few days as me and my wife expect our first child any day now. As one family joyously wait the arrival of a new family member another is mourning the loss of one. My thoughts go out to his friends and family. :cry:

Wow. I just got on-line today, and this is the first thing I see here.

I am sad.

While he had not been posting here as long as some others, 44 contributed as much or more than most, just through his willing and winning nature, and his obvious enthusiasm for bass, and for music. He seemed like good people.

My sincerest wishes for the peace and happiness of the man's family.

RIP John. RIP 44 Hurts.

Our family is smaller today.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

RIP John. :(

A quote I picked up here on the forums seems relevant.

"Most people die with their music still inside of them"

It sounds as if John was in the process of ensuring this didnt happen to him.

At least he got part way there.

To all folks who relate deeply to music -espeially those of use with day jobs:

Events like this should remind us all to take steps to avoid such a fate.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Thanks for the posting and the picture. Wish I met him; from the picture he seems a nice guy to hunker down with and shoot the breeze. Every time an older brother passes on it reminds me to pay more attention to what I need to complete in my remaining time.

He's in my prayers and I hope his passing was as we'd all want it to be when our turn comes. "Peaceful, Easy Feeling" comes to mind.

:cry:

Archived