Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

44 HURTZ R.I.P

Mike Bear

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John reminds me of my friend Charlie. He is 67 (I just turned 39). He has the purest spirit about riding and often schools guys half his age, all the while giving them encouragement.

My sincerest condolences to his family; sounds like he was quite a guy.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

I had no access to John's home number. We did everthing with cell phones. I went into work today hoping that he'd be in the store computer. I walked in and a man intoduced himself to me as John's cousin. What timing right? He wanted to make sure John didn't owe anything. Not at all on that matter. Any how, I told him about the Lowdown and how I will forward this thread to him.

From what I was told, John died of a heart attack. For any reason, it was very sad. I was told he could have had a small heart attack around Christmas time that may have went overlooked as bronchitis or a more less serious illness.

I was so relieved to meet a family member of John's so I could pass on my thoughts and speak of the Lowdown.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

It's always a very sad day when one of our Lowdown brothers passes away...

But, one ray of sunshine is the fact that new people join all the time and our small family keeps growing everyday.

A shame for those new people who will never get to trade posts with John.

Safe journey, John.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

A few corrections on my own part. One being John's age. For some reason I thought he was between 63-65. What I thought I recalled from his sign up slip when he started lessons with me. Another was that it wasn't his nephiew he jammed with, it was his cousin.

Keep your thoughts coming. I'm going to email this thread to his cousin to pass on to the rest of his family.

Mike

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

My condolences to John's family and to you Mike. Although i never knew him personally his posts always made him seem like a really nice guy and what mike has said only confirms my thoughts. We can only hope he rests in peace and "sustains forever".

R.I.P. John

well, I would never had the chance to meet him living in the far part of the world. However I knew his small but valuable contribution to the forum, being much of a reader just like him.

Again my symphaties to his two families (low down being the newer one).

oops my signature dropped

Hi Mike,

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of another one of our bass family. :cry: And I am really sorry too for your loss. :cry:

I am older than my bass teacher, by about 8 years I think, and I can only say, that the only thoughts I have about him are admiration and respect and gratitude, for the gift he has given me as my teacher. Bass has brought so much to my life. My life is richer and full of creative energy. This is because of MY teacher. I am sure that John felt the same way about YOU.

I have had other music teachers before, but this one, has whatever it took to reach me and make me feel respected. He honors me by taking me seriously. I am sure John felt this way as well.

I shall sadly add John (44HURTZ) to our memorial page (http://www.bassplayerheaven.com) where he shall join our beloved RobT.

I'm sure they'll make lovely music there together.

Thanks for sharing this news. It is very sad, but good to know, and not just wonder where our buddy went to, out there in cyberspace.

... connie z

Note: After I post his memorial information, feel free to share the link with his wife or family, and they are welcome to add thoughts or expressions to the page.

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

The sad task is complete. :cry:

John "44 hurts" D. is now memorialized on

http://www.bassplayerheaven.com

Thanks again Mike, for letting us know, and introducing John to the forum.

I am super sad to say that I did not get a chance to know John. It is definately my loss.

... connie z

Yeah, he was pretty cool for the short time I saw his posts here. :(

I certainly would've posted at least a little blurb about him in my LiveJournal.com journal, but the site unfortunately went down hard. Perhaps when it comes back on sometime during the weekend.

Say hi to Dimebag Darrell and Son Seals for me, dude.

:cry:

Connie,

Amazing of you to take the time to put the page together. I haven not looked at it yet. But before I go there, I just wanted to tell you how cool I think it is. I will certainly pass on the link to his family.

Mike

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

John's son Ted sent me this info and history to place on http://www.bassplayerheaven.com , and asked that I place it on our forum as well.

"I am John Dottle's son, Edward "Ted" Dottle. Thank you all for posting about my dad and your thoughts and prayers to my family. He was 57 when he died and he started dating my mom about May, 1966. They were married in January 1968.

He has 2 children, me (36) and my sister Amy (32). He has 3 grandchildren (all mine), Raquel age 9, Christine and Natalie age 7 on (2/6/2005 and yes they are identical twins). My kids call him Grampy Gorilla.

He and I bought his Dean Edge together. I know he loved it and loved playing. He got a real nice amp from my mom for Christmas or his birthday (12/26). I know he loved playing bass and looked very forward to the Masters class. My mom gave me the bass and the equipment to go with it. I have started using his books to learn to play. The bass has always been my favorite. I would rather play it then a lead or rhythm guitar any day. It makes it more special that I am using his.

I know he was very happy in his life and enjoyed living it to the fullest. I know enjoyed the forum too and was trying to setup a band with coworkers, friends, and family. I think he was getting very close to having their first practice.

Thank you all again,

Edward "Ted" Dottle"

Thanks Ted for sharing these thoughts about your Dad.

... connie z

Originally posted by Mike Bear:

I had just gotten yesterday an email from John's wife. It was a very nice email and kind of her to take the time to send it off.

It's such a bummer to think of his twin granddaughters' birthdays coming up on Sunday without their "Grampy Gorilla". Hopefully, Ted will continue his interest in bass and join us here sometime.

"For instance" is not proof.

I have lost many a bass friend over the years. I wish I had discovered this place so I could have interacted with him but I didn't.

I feel everyones pain.

I lost my dear friend Chip Jones of Black Heat a few years ago (another writer and bassist) and it just hurts.

Honestly, I have produced, recorded, mixed and mastered music with dear folks which 81 of them are now gone.

The music lives on.

At 46, I could go at anytime myself. At 57, just too young.

We are only renting space here, we have to make our mark.

God bless him.

PS, I have been playing bass 22 years, I am not a bassist yet. I just don't gig often.

I work with the old cats. Most important.

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

• 1 year later...

A good lesson for any of us complaining or not doing something that we want music or non-music related.

That gives me a good kick in the hindquarter to continue to try everything and anything that gets my interest going.

Seems like he was living life to its most rewarding height.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

We never know when someone we love, or even ourselves, are going to just stop. All we can do is make sure the folks we love know it before we go on to the next phase. Don't waste time, you only get so much...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived