Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best GAS of 2004

Rick Hoffman

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played a grand total of 5 gigs in 2004. Difficult in the circs to decide whether gear acquired was a good idea or not, because it was not actually gigged. Main adquisitions were Fender Jazz 70s Reissue, Roland V-Bass and Digitech BP-8.

I really need to gig more in 2005, maybe even if it means retro rock cover bands (the easiest gigs to find around here and the main ones I get offered, but a long way from what interests me musically). Hopefully my funk project will get off the ground and that won't be necessary.......

Cheapest: Morley Vol/Wah/Dist pedal, $30.00.

Most satisfying: Avatar SB112, seriously, stupidly good for the money spent.

Most useful: The Amp That Shall Be Nameless, 300 watts, sounds really, really good with the Avatar, sounded pretty good on a recent gig through an Ampeg 8x10 with no soundcheck, too. Cost me almost nothing, and it's easy to replace... :D

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

My best buy was either my Kern IP-777 preamp or Peavey DPC-1400X poweramp. Both were sub $500 shipped. I've paired them up for a sub-$900 ultra light, high-powered hi-fi rig.

I got a good deal on that Eden WT-330, new.

And that used SWR Workingman's 15 - killed on that deal. Couldn't refuse.

And that Nemesis 210P.

I'm not thrilled to death with my Avatar B212, but it was a solid purchase. I'm spoiled with some of my other gear.

And then I bought that Ampeg B100R and Warwick Corvette 4 for $300 used and flipped them for about $1k on ebay. That was a GREAT buy.

My favorite 2004 addition is the mini-stack of doom, the Bergantino HT112+EX112.

The MOTU 828mkII is treating me well. With my ADAT-compatible 8-channel preamp, I get a total of 18-simultaneous channels of recording.

I'm digging on the new Peavey mains I purchased. Great speakers for the money. Plenty loud.

I got a killer deal on an older USA 850 QSC poweramp. 800 solid, solid watts for about $100. Only problem is it is 3 spaces and about 40 lbs.

My lady-friend bought me an incase Slim Bag for Christmas. It rocks. I bought myself an incase Tourbag in 2003. The Slim Bag makes daily transport a bit easier. Makes sense for rehearsals and gigs. I'll save the tourbag for the tour. ;)

Originally posted by jeremy c:

I bought WAY too much gear this past year.

You and me both, brother.

Last year saw me purchase:

SWR Goliath III

SWR Mini Mo

Hamer 12-string (used)

JPJ Alembic

The Alembic is easily the most ridiculous GAS I've ever had.

I did sell the Bag End cabs that I was previously using...

My best gas sound wise would be the aguilar db 750 and gs 210 cab i got. Of course the only reason i was able to make the purchase was because of ridiculously low prices (thank you mr. ebay and mrs. bass northwest :D ).

But the smartest purchase was the rackbag i bought for the aguilar. Frickin 43 punds and 3 rackspaces!!!!!!!!! How could i not.

I picked up the head and about 10 minutes later i HAD to pick up that rackbag.....because I'm a wuss that's never owned any ampeg fridges :P .

And I'm currently in the process of purchasing a veillette mk4 fretless bass, which will be my best, first, and only purchase of 2005....yep GAS is a cruel mistress.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

For me it would be a toss-up between my chrome red/maple neck/black pick-guard American Series Fender Jazz Bass ($800 US), and/or my Eden D210MBX speaker cab ($300 US).

Both were great deals, and both have proved themselves as sources of a lot of musical joy in performance.

Wow, I see a lot of cool aquisitions this is kind of like the GAS greatest hits over here. :P

I was thinking about how to get more power and headroom out of my SVT-3 so I think I'm going to look into preamps...that might be the next GAS... :freak:

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Archived