Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best GAS of 2004

Rick Hoffman

So what was the best piece of gear you bought last year? Best money I spent was 80 bucks on a yamaha PSR 225. Check out the keyboard forum for a review...

Anyone else make any good gear purchases that changed your playing style or opened your mind to new things?

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I bought one of these with the notion to get away from bass heads all together. So far so good but I plan to buy one of these in 2005.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

It was a year of mixed blessings; "be careful what you ask for 'cause you just might get it." After years of wanting a Carvin Redline, I got one used. Sounds great; but blew out 2 of my speakers (dc spikes). Had to send it to the shop, so it was no longer the bargain I was hoping for. But now it works great!!! Just have to get around to replacing those speakers...

But for a true bargain, again I have to go to Carvin- they had a pre-Christmas clearance sale and I bought a CMP Power amp (900w/side; 1800w bridged) for $199!!! Only use it for PA monitors right now; but if I ever decide to go for the pre-amp/power amp set up, I'm halfway there.

OR should I go with those Hartke strings for only $3 shipping? If they were all that I great I guess they'd be a bargain; but I didn't really like them.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Bought a Behringer Bass V-Amp early in 2004. Very cheap construction but sounds just as good as the original POD (IMHO). It has lasted me a year now with no problems. Use it at my church where we have no stage amps and monitor through headsets. Soundman is very pleased. Paid $140, would have been a better deal if I bought it after their price reduction at only $100. Why can't they warn us that price drops are comming?!

I posted this in another thread:

Bought a Yamaha RBX765A in excellent condition for $225. Never though a 5 string would feel so comfortable..

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Bought myself a MIM Fender F/less Jazz. Should have went out on a limb ages ago and got one. I also started lessons with the aim of learning jazz, probably the best few £'s I never pissed against the wall!

Grizzly Bears Don't Fear Anyone.

Angry Cheetahs Emerge Growling.

I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time!

Finally bought my first 5-string bass, a Yamaha BB605, a really great eBay deal & a lovely bass.

In fact, just last night I recorded that bass on my Boss MR8 digital recorder, my other great buy of 2004, also eBay--like new, with extra 256 meg card & USB cable. Woot!

Most memorable gear joneses? Epiphone Jack Casady bass; Wendler fretless bass; Nordstrand ebony-top single-cut bass. (Notice the rather steep climb in price tags for those joneses? I did, too...)

My Thumb 5 NT was my perception altering bass purchase for 2004.

In the non-bass music realm, I'd have to say that my best purchase this year was a complete set of rackmount drum machines from the late eighties/early nineties. Roland R8m, Emu Procussion, Yamaha RM50, Kawai XD-5. All 4 for $150.00.

"For instance" is not proof.

My first bass. And I didn't buy it, my son got it for me on e-bay for $200 with a hard case as a Father's Day gift :D . A very early Dean Edge that has an incredible sound and is very easy to play.

Pretty good kid. :thu:

Don't look back. You never know what might be gaining on you.

- Terry Pratchett: Going Postal

A good bass player knows the notes not to play. - Nick St. Nicholas

John

Originally posted by Conor:

Bought myself a MIM Fender F/less Jazz. Should have went out on a limb ages ago and got one. I also started lessons with the aim of learning jazz, probably the best few £'s I never pissed against the wall!

I got one of these as well. :thu: I love it, though it makes me realize that I'm not as good as I thought I was. (And I didn't think I was very good!)
Push the button Frank.

Hard to decide which of two trades I made was the "best." Both were very good.

I swapped a cool '95 Belair Green G&L ASAT (paid $550 locally) for a mint condition Bergantino nv610 with padded cover. Fantastic cabinet... Keeper.

I traded a mojo'ed '90 Ric 4003 for a mint condition Lakland Skyline 44-01. It's my #1 player, no contest.

Both are now key pieces of my style, sound, and comfort.

...simply stating.

Best GAS of 2004? Aphex Aural Exciter I got from Jeremy, with Big Bottom. My Ampeg SVTCL pre-amp although accquired in 2004, is actually a fiscal 05 expenditure. As is the Whappo Jr. I just ordered. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's XL on the T-Shirt size, Sr. Whappo.

-----------------------------------------------

For Sale: Eden 212XLT, 8 Ohm, 400 Watts, casters.

Yorkville XC115X, 8 Ohm, 300 Watts.

www.ethertonswitch.com

Hey there fellow GAS addicts

This was a big year for me. My biggest gas would have to be my Sadowsky 24 fret 5 string and my new bass rig (Acme B2 and AI Focus head). All in all I really dig my new sound and the clarity I'm getting is making me work hard on cleaning up my technique - never a bad thing!!

Now, I wonder what the new gas will be, hmmmmmm new fretless, computer based recording equipment, more effects??????????? :D:D

C-YA

Ben

My best buy would be either the "Building Basslines" book or the Avatar Neo 2x10.

I also have my first head/cab setup, EVER. I'd also say that whole thing was a great idea because now, I have a 15 inch 100 watt Crate combo to leave at my main band's drummer's house AND have a rig at home for whatever I please.

I will say that my head/cab could sound better, but it's conveignant, lightweight-ish, and cheap. I love a bargain :D

In Skynyrd We Trust

Ummm,.. everything bass related I bought this year.

Just started playing again this last June after not playing for 20 years.

Hard tossup for that used MIM Fretless J (that i hotrodded this last weekend :) ) or my SWR 4004 1/2 stack I bought before X-mas. Both are awesome stuff that I play everyday (neglecting my Ibanez lately)

2004 was a VERY good year for me equipment-wise:

1) Picked up an Eden Nemesis 2x10 combo off the internet like new, with cover for $325.

2) Picked up a G&L L-2500 tribute 5 string bass for a toal cash outlay of $150 ( I traded in an old, Korean-made bass I don't play anymore).

I've ended up with a dynamite rig (for the kind of stuff I do) for a total of $475.

Happ New Year Indeed!

way2fat, given my experience sampling some AccuG products I would say that you may no longer have any use for the Aphex Aural Exciter w/ Big Bottom. (I also have the Aphex unit and like it a lot -- but, really, you may be passing that on once you experience the joys of your Whappo Jr.)

GAS? I don't know, I'd probably give the award for best GAS to Bumpcity for his purchase of that Alembic JPJ bass. Didn't he also score that Hamer 12-string (or was it just 8?) this year, as well as a new SWR set-up?

As for me, there are three things I'd have to insert into this conversation:

1. A new house with a separate room in the basement just for music stuff where my daughter and I can practice our respective instruments. It definitely makes a difference in my household to have a clearly identified practice space.

2. A lesson at the Bass Collective which has inspired me to go back semi-regularly for more, and also inspired the gift of yet another lesson from my sister (does that count as GAS when it's a gift?).

3. My new Nordstrand 5-string. What a great friggin' instrument that is!

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

IIRC, the only Gear I bought in 2004 was an Akai Deep Impact to replace my ailing one. Apart from some pots and switches to fix the electronics in my Warwick. And some shiny armoured 1/4" leads.

However, for musical gear (not Gear - the difference is subtle but important!) the acquisition of an iPod overshadows that. A great way to rediscover all the music I own and inspire me to buy more (lots of old soul in particular).

My most significant musical investment though, has to be singing lessons. A transformation is beginning and it's a good one! :D

Alex

Archived