Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Richard Bona coming to NYC

_Sweet Willie_

Yay!

Richard Bona will be doing several shows in NYC at the Jazz Standard on E. 27th St. later this month. He's scheduled to perform there from Jan. 19-23.

Tix are in the $20-$25 range. I hope to attend one of these performances.

He is an outstanding bassist and all-around musician.

I do not yet know who will be in his band for these shows.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been to the restuarant upstairs from the Jazz Standard called "Smoke" many times....

for those of you attending if you are looking for a place to eat before the show you will not be disappointed.

www.danielprine.com

Originally posted by 57pbass:

A minor correction.. the name of the place is Blue Smoke ... which is upstairs from The Jazz Standard....

Gracias for the correction.

I meant the place upstairs from the Jazz Standard as well.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

I'll see what I can do. Not sure if my wife and I can make the Thursday date. :( (Yes, she has accepted my generous offer of dinner and wonderful live music in the city! :thu: )

A hang w/ Jason and Mark is certainly enticing.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Yo guys...I can't do it. My vacation is going to be cut short.... by schoolwork.

I'm back in cambridge right now, and from news that i got today...i will not be able to be in nyc for that week, as i initially planned.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

I'm still planning to see the early set @ Jazz Standard with dinner at the club.

I don't think a late set anywhere is likely. My flight is at 6:15am and I have a day full of appointments. If I catch a second wind, I might make my way to the Village Vanguard for a rare club date from Branford Marsalis or see Pat Martino @ Iridium, which is near my hotel.

Enjoy the show tonight, Mark.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's performance. Really excited about this. I completely dig this man's music, his musicality, and his bass playing.

This will also be my first trip to the Jazz Standard -- unless it went under a different name in my youth...

Anyone know who's in his band for these NYC shows?

Anyone else going tomorrow night to the 9:30 set?

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Dan South and I grooved to the 7:30p set last night.

I'll wait until tomorrow to post my impression of the show. I don't want to spoil any surprises for Willie, Ben, and anyone else who is seeing Richard Bona tonight.

I will say one thing, guys. Bring extra underwear. ;) If Bona opens with the same number he did last night, you will surely need them...and it only got better from there!

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

I will say one thing, guys. Bring extra underwear. ;) If Bona opens with the same number he did last night, you will surely need them...and it only got better from there!

Given what the temps are supposed to get down to tonight, I'll make sure those extra underwear are long johns... Oooops, was that too much information? :D

Oh yeah, and have I yet mentioned that I'm really excited to go to this show? :thu:

I'm hoping to have a moment to say "hi" to Richard and let him know how much I enjoy his CDs after his set. Mark and Dan, did you get any sense of whether there's any meet'n'greet time between sets?

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

I'm hoping to have a moment to say "hi" to Richard and let him know how much I enjoy his CDs after his set. Mark and Dan, did you get any sense of whether there's any meet'n'greet time between sets?

Between sets, he was chatting with just about anyone who cared to. I said a quick "hi" but kept it very short because he was about to eat dinner.

BTW, his band is a killer, especially the keyboard player (from Rotterdam) and percussionist (from Bogota). Sorry, can't remember names.

FYI, the BBQ at the club is great. You're going to have a great time.

I'll echo all of Mark's remarks. R.B. and the band were very cool about "hanging" between sets. The keyboard player had friends at our table and sat down right beside Mark after the first set. R.B. seems very down to earth, maybe a little shy. Not arrogant in the slightest.

The keyboard player is great, and the percussionist is phenomenal. And R.B. is...well, you'll see... I was blown away, let's leave it at that.

One of the really great things is that R.B. and the band really seem to enjoy themselves on stage. There's a positive vibe in the room. You can't help but smile when they're playing.

Dammit, I may have to catch another set sometime this weekend! Too cool!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Archived