Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GiG SpAm: chancer at Mercury Lounge 1.5.05

getz out

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

Maury also recommended Katz's Deli at Houston and Ludlow.

Going to the Chancer gig? Grab a bite to eat w/ Tom and Willie at Katz's Deli beforehand!

I can get there by about 6:15pm to get my pastrami on before the show.

Peace.

--SW

You're going to love the message Tom left for you Willie, LOL!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah - When I was describing dinner to Nick tonight, he recommended Katz. Such an obvious choice, that I called Willie immediately. He didn't answer his cell (probably with that damn FoL). So I left a message....

See ya at 6!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

...I called Willie immediately. He didn't answer his cell (probably with that damn FoL). So I left a message....

Yes, Tom, I was in fact with il pesce d'amore -- there are precious few other places I'd rather be. Le poisson d'amour will not be attending this evening, even though it did express some interest in some Eden/Bergie or Kern/Peavey/Bergie time.

Nice to know that such rapid and easy agreement was reached on a meal venue.

Ace, it'll be good to see ya'. I don't think we've crossed paths since that winter afternoon at Jimmy's shop -- much too long ago!

Maury: If you buy us adult beverages -- at least for those of us who indulge -- we'll chip in and get you one. You can't pass up on a deal like that. I'll even promise not to order a ridiculously overpriced froofy drink and cheer loudly during the performance.

Peace.

--Sweet "the Luv must be Spread" Willie

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Willie-get the drink with the little umbrella. Tres rocque.

BTW, this has been a bump. Please take note of it.

Thank you.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Just got back from the gig.

Willie, Ace and his lovely wife, and myself met at Katz. Pastrami (in corned beef for the Aces) to die for. Wow. Four "cutters" standing behind a counter, each with a few hunks of meat that is warm and juicy. They cut a few slices and put it on a plate for you to nibble while they make your sandwich. Ummm.

Then we headed to the Mercury Lounge. Ace will fill in the schedule details ;)

Getz and his band were up first. A nice room, with a nice sound. The vocals were a bit low, but everything else sounded rich. Not too loud, so you could hear nuances. I thought the guitars sounded better live than on the CD for this reason.

The drummer was solid and interesting. Crisp.

And Getz was his solid self. The sound mostly went from Warwick to SansAmp DI to the house, and it was a thick sound without any trace of mud. The nature of the music calls for plenty of B string work, and it sounded a ton.

We hung out and were joined by Getz's girlfriend, as well as Evan who is a friend of Willie's. A fine time chatting and listening to music.

I jumped on stage when Chancer was done to help carry. It was worth it to be there. The guitarist from the next band thanks Maury for letting his bassist use Maury's amp. Then the bassist pops up and asks about using it, and says "I asked your guitarist". Then Maury's guitarist says "yeah - I told them they could use it, but forgot to tell you". I believe said guitarist had an evening of carrying said amp to his 3rd story walkup in exchange for such goings on. But it was worth it to see Maury's face. And feel his pain. The real question is: how does someone come to a gig without an amp???

CLICK FOR PICS

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for the kind words Tom!

Thanks for coming out everyone. Sweet. It was a fun show. We shook a bit of rust off after the first half of the set. Our second guitarist, Rahul, was working on 2 hours sleep having just landed from Amsterdam in the afternoon. ;)

Props to Rahul for powering through one of the last songs of the night while his guitar strings were snapping at an unbelievable rate. It was nice to see that he was prepared with a second guitar. I would also like to explore that Orange amp of his more closely one day...

I enjoyed myself greatly. getz76 did indeed bring le rocque, and a good time was had by all. There were three tunes in particular that stood out for me, which I told getz76 about -- and now I can't remember their names. I agree w/ Tom that the vocals were too low in the mix, particularly the backing vocals. The bass tone, IMO, was excellent. What strings are on that Warwick, mi amigo? Good ol' SABDDI to the board (although the on-stage Riggus Maximus of Kern IP-777 --> Peavey DPC-1400X --> dos Bergie 12s was a delight!).

It was nice to hang w/ Ace and his girlfriend. I met him a couple of years ago and haven't seen him since.

Have no doubt that Chancer really played a solid set, but the pastrami at Katz's was the true highlight of the evening, as I had come to suspect it would be.

Capasso has surprised me by posting before going to bed. I traveled to the train station with him before we went our separate ways and he was starting to look a little sluggish. I was certainly worried that he would sleep through his stop. But like a good Forum Poppa he posted his pics and review when he got home.

By the way, Maury, it's time for you to score a used X-Wire so you can spread your slick moves all over the stage. :thu:

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Thanks Willie. We rock, but we can't compete with a fantabulous deli meet at a delicatessen established in 1888 (www.katzdeli.com). ;)

The strings were DR Black Beauties. They're black, so they're louder.

That's not the regular sound guy from Mercury. I was unimpressed in general, and I'm usually pretty easy on sound guys. He messed with the monitors after the soundcheck, so I had a LOT of vocals in the monitor by nothing else (including the drummers trigger pad).

Rahul's a trooper. He hadn't touched a guitar in almost a month (he was in India getting married and having a honeymoon).

And for the record, it was John the singer/guitarist that threw me under the bus with my bass rig. ;)

How DO you show up to a gig without a rig? Hmm... I could have easily said no, but I figured it was better to hang this over John's head for the next decade or so.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by getz76:

And for the record, it was John the singer/guitarist that threw me under the bus with my bass rig. ;)

How DO you show up to a gig without a rig? Hmm...

I know. One time I had a gig at Acme Underground and we went on early. This band from Perth, Australia of all places was going on after us. Of course the bass player didn't drag his amp from one of the most remote cities on Earth to this gig and was asking to use my amp. I actually had a legit excuse and had to go, but when we were leaving this guy was screaming over the PA about how we sucked because I wouldn't let someone I didn't even know use my equipment. Go figure!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Congrats all on what sounds like a fine time! Sorry I missed it, but I had a good rehearsal, which turned out to be for a last minute gig.

So Maury... Gonna get an X-Wire?

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

my $0.02 (USD). albeit a wee bit late but two jobs and a band can wear on a brotha.

katz's corned beef was indeed the shzznt, but having eaten it before and having never seen the Chancer before, big mo was the highlight of my evening.

first the club: f@$k the mercury lounge. i have yet to have a decent experience there. from being turned away an hour before my 21st birthday to having someone be told it would cost $250 to photograph his band to waiting until 8:00 for the doors to open for a 7:30 show at a club that is supposed to be a stickler for schedule. nice sound system though.

that said, the Chancer made standing in the rain/snow for 45 minutes worth a trip to the muckery lounge. le roque was definitely brought. it was like someone smacked all the pomposity out of thom york and made radiohead record the sequel to "the bends." lots of nice little fluttery guitar twinkles with a lot of groove heavy bass melody. very ala quicksand chills out. upon asking i found none of these guys have ever heard vendetta red which surprised me because that's the other band they remind me of.

rahul was the man. exactly the kind of the gitar work i dig. all those slid chords are lovely and wonderful. as for maury, there's a man full of CPA soul. lots of thick and thoughtful lines that bounced around without being messy.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Thanks for the compliments, fellas. Much appreciated.

CPA soul? Oxymoron. ;)

As a side note, we donated the proceeds to the tsunami relief (and since "I" physically donated it, my employer matched the funds). All together, about $300. Too bad original bands don't pull a lot of coin. :(

Archived