Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz Trio recommendations

Farfetched

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't go wrong with anything from the Bill Evans trio - particularly the era with Scott Lafaro. Scott was an astounding upright player. "Sunday at the Village Vangaurd" was recorded 10 days before his untimely death.

With regards to Bill Evan's piano work, my personal favorite is the "Paris Concert Edition Two". I believe this recording features Marc Johnson on bass, who also does a great job...

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Any of the Bill Evans Trio recordings with Scott LaFaro.

Keith Jarrett trio with Gary Peacock and Jack Dejohnette, especially the Standards discs.

Peter Erskine, Dave Carpenter and Alan Pasqua - any of their CDs are well worth getting.

3 Prime - Abe Laboriel on bass in a piano trio, magic stuff.

Oscar Peterson with Ray Brown. My fave is NightTrain.

cheers

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

Evans/LoFaro/Motian is the trio by which I judge all others.

Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock, and Jack DeJohnette. Huge. Any of their "Standards" albums and "Tribute" are outstanding.

Chick Corea's "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs" is a classic. Miroslav Vitous on bass, Roy Haynes on drums.

Brad Mehldau/Larry Grenadier/Jorge Rossy is my favorite among newer generation of piano trios. Pick any of the "Art Of The Trio" albums.

Does it have to be a piano trio? I'm a Pat Metheny fan and think "Question and Answer" with Roy Haynes and Dave Holland is a great straight ahead guitar trio album. "Trio 99>00", with Larry Grenadier and Bill Stewart, has a more modern bend.

Yep, a trio is kinda minimalist.

What about a quartet? That opens up a lotta stuff.

Like the Modern Jazz Quartet.

But, to keep it to a trio:

I would have to give the old thumbs up to Evans-Lafaro-Motian. Incredible. And if you can find "The Village Vanguard Sessions" rather than "Sunday at the Village Vanguard" bonus points to you. This was the original release, later reissued on CD. (Extended note about these recordings: Bill Evans believed jazz should be recorded live, he didn't like studio recording. These sessions, taped over a few days in 1961, were orginally released in a single LP recording; "The Village Vanguard Sessions." Later, this was reissued on CD. This set of tunes and takes was what Bill wanted on the recording. "Sunday at the Village" and "Waltz for Debbie" were also released then, and are available. A few years ago, in order to make more money, these recordings were split up and put on 2 seperate albums, still leaving out some of the significant music. On the other hand, you can still find The Complete Live at the Village Vanguard at this site. This gives you everything.

I got this album: Pollwinners when Ray Brown, Shelly Manne and Barney Kessel each won the Downbeat poll on their instrument in 1956. Fresh, these legends to be are just developing their voice. Get it quick, there's only one left!

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

for the good old good stuff:

Red Garland Trio, with Paul Chambers (bass) and Art Taylor (drums), "Groovy", or "It's A Blue World."

Ahmad Jamal, with the great Israel Crosby on bass, and equally wonderful Vernell Fournier on drums, "Ahmad's blues", "But Not For Me", or "Nationwide Tour."

Wynton Kelly, "Kelly at Midnight", Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones.

Sonny Rollins, "A Night at the Vanguard", with Wilbur Ware and Elvin Jones--incredible!

Lee Konitz, with Sonny Dallas and Elvin Jones, "Motion."

"Tommy Flanagan Overseas", Wilbur Little and Elvin Jones.

"Everybody Digs Bill Evans", w/ Sam Jones and Philly Joe Jones

Pat Metheny, "Bright Size Life", w/Jaco and Bob Moses, and "Question and Answer", w/ Dave Holland and Roy Haynes.

"Jim Hall Live", with Don Thompson and Terry Clarke.

"Magico"--Charlie Haden, Jan Gabarek and Egberto Gismonti.

Jimmy Giuffre--"1961", with Paul Bley and Steve Swallow.

The new John Scofield live album with S. Swallow and Bill Stewart on drums.

Those are a few of my desert island picks.

Here's an odd suggestion: get a satellite radio subscription (XM or Sirius comes to mind). I'm about ready to take the plunge because I've heard some great jazz on those stations.

And I second dbb's suggestion on MJQ. They set the bar for most of the last century's progessions by trios and quartets. Lose the restriction on just listening to trios. In jazz, there should be no restrictions on what you listen to, only preferences.

You've been swamped with suggestions but I'd put in a word for Esbjorn Svensson. His music is very accessible to people coming from a pop-rock background - he's not a chops monster or florid player and his trio incorporates (subtle and tasteful) non-jazz elements in its work. He has a real flair for melody. Make no mistake though, he is a serious jazz stylist and composer, his music isn't just jazz lite for non-jazz fans.

Yes, really great suggestions here. Lots of stuff I know, and lots I am interested in checking out.

Since someone mentioned MMW, I'd like to share this link: http://bt.etree.org/?search=mmw&cat=0 where bit-torrents of MMW live performances abound. The show on 12/2/04 was an acoustic show, so there is only piano, no B3.

Anyone not familiar with bit-torrent, shn, flac, etc - feel free to PM me and I'll help you figure it out. Easy stuff, just maybe some new terms....

peace,

john

Oh gees. How could I forget?

:freak::freak::freak:

Kristen Korb and her pals on piano and drums. She basses and sings, even scats, while she plays...I've seen her do this live.

Absolutely. I have Where You\'ll Find Me, and will testify this is phenomenal. Just look at the Amazon ratings when you click here.

It seems like you download the entire thing, but don't. You'll be wanting to look at her picture as you listen. :D

Her debut is as a singer with the Ray Brown Trio. I don't have that one, but I'll get it.

You should too.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

You'll be wanting to look at her picture as you listen.

Agreed - both a brilliant musician and rather easy on the eyes. :)
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

It's not really a trio, but anyone putting their toes into the waters of jazz should definately check out Miles' seminal recording "Kind of Blue."

It's a sextet, but it's a record that has introduced a world of people to jazz for decades with favorable results.

The results everyone else gave are also excellent. I heartily second "Bill Evans, Live @ the Village Vanguard". Lafaro man...DAMN!!!

Archived