Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bassist or Bass Player?

basses_arent_fish

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually go with bass player because bassist has too many s's...not really. I just think that it sounds awkward.

In highschool, we called ourselves basers. One of many definitions are as follows from our friends at Merriam-Webster:

7 a : lacking or indicating the lack of higher qualities of mind or spirit : IGNOBLE b : lacking higher values : DEGRADING

"Failed Guitarist"?

Joking guys.

Bassist=one who plays bass regularly, cares for all of his equipment, and spends most of his money on new equipment.

Bass Player= that guy that goes out, buys a bass, learns "Smells Like Team Spirit" on bass, and then leaves it on it's stand till the end of time, usually just to say they play an instrument and to pick up chicks.

:D

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

Originally posted by Bass_god_offspring:

Bass Player= that guy that goes out, buys a bass, learns "Smells Like Team Spirit" on bass, and then leaves it on it's stand till the end of time, usually just to say they play an instrument and to pick up chicks.

No, no. You have that confused with "bass owner". "Bass owners" are the lowest on the scale. Next up would be "Bass holder"... I've seen a lot of bands lately with bass holders in them.

(Thank you, Pete Johnston, for those two terms)

Or even learns the Nirvana tune that has a similar name. :D

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Or even learns the Nirvana tune that has a similar name. :D

Give him a break, 0-9... he's so young, Nirvana is "Classic Rock" for him. ;)

For no reason that I can think of, bassist conjures up an image in my mind of someone who is fluent on the instrument, has formal skoolin', reads music, can play URB with a bow, etc. Someone who can sit down with a jazz group or an orchestra and play it right. Bass player conjures an image, to me, of most of the rest of us who play in our band and have fun. I would put myself in the second category and guys like Dave Brown and JeremyC and Bassaddik in the first category. Folks that could jump on a cruise ship and play it all with guys (or gals) they just met. Just the way I interpret the terms.

www.ethertonswitch.com

Heh heh. Dave said "pianist." Heh heh.

Interesting how many names we had for our basses in orchestra.

Bass

Double Bass

Bass Fiddle

Contra Bass

Big @ss piece of wood

The other members had many names for us, but I don't believe "bassist" was among them. :D

ATM

Well, bassically this is how I think it goes.

Bassists play the bass.

Bass players also play the bass, but will occasionally pick up a guitar or some other instrument.

Total complete lame asses leave a bass in their car or their room hoping it will spark some chic's curiousity and pique her sexual interest in them.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Total complete lame asses leave a bass in their car or their room hoping it will spark some chic's curiousity and pique her sexual interest in them.
as far as i have experianced, he is picking the wrong instrument for that task. ;)

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

Originally posted by basses_arent_fish:

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

I usually go with "jackass".

I thought that one was reserved for the lead guitarist? ;)
No, he usually gets egotistical a$$hole.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

learns "Smells Like Team Spirit" on bass
I am so busted on that one....in fact I can still play it today...i can even play it backwards... :freak:

And I know about 4 other Nirvana songs on top of that. Hey, they were popular back in the day...(that's my excuse anyway...)

Actually, being called a Bass Guitarist doesn't bother me at all. But it's pretty funny the face a guitarists makes when you tell him he's playing a standard guitar...I don't think he liked how generic I made him sound... :D

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

I prefer "fisherman". If I'm feeling Les than myself, sometimes even "John the Fisherman".

I hope to never be deemed so lowly as to bear the title "fish holder".

Then, of course, there's always the comment: "Hey, who's the guy with the 'big guitar'?"

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

I prefer "fisherman". If I'm feeling Les than myself, sometimes even "John the Fisherman".

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived