Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Adding A Steely Dan Song

Edendude

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I transcribed that song a few months back; it's fun. Bass on that song, for any who are wondering, is Walter Becker. He's playing a Sadowsky, I believe, which I'd swear must have a bridge mute on it; he gets a very old-school, thumpy kind of sound on his tracks on that album ("Two Against Nature"). Another VERY fun bass line to play from that album is "What a Shame About Me," which is also Becker. If you haven't already, check it out!

Right--Tom Barney plays everything on the DVD. (And that cat can PLAY!!!) Isn't it amazing that he can pretty much cop Walter Becker's feel & tone on tunes like "Cousin Dupree," playing the same instrument on which he does all his own greasy/funky stuff? Dude's got hands.

I'm a Steely Dan FREAK! Chuck Rainey is da man!! Some of my favorite Rainey bass tracks with Steely Dan are "Glamour Profession" (Gaucho), "Peg" (Aja) and "Everyone's Gone to the Movies" (Katie Lied).

Two Against Nature (2VN) is a great album. Stylistically, it fits somewhere around the Royal Scam era, IMO, although it sort of has its own unique vibe as well. My favorite track on 2VN is "Almost Gothic", but I really like just about everything on it. Check out Chris Potter's amazing blowing at the end of "West of Hollywood".

I never get tired of talking about Steely Dan! :)

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Self-confessed Dan fan here, too...

I had it all on vinyl back in the day, and have most of it on CD now. I've got...

Can't Buy A Thrill

Pretzel Logic

Katy Lied

The Royal Scam

Aja

Gaucho

The Nightfly (D.F. solo)

Two Against Nature

If it wasn't for The Dan and Frank Zappa, I don't know how I would have made it through the late seventies and early eighties.

And those recordings hold up sooooooo well, even by today's standards.

Long live The Dan!

:thu:

Tom Barney and Ricky Lawson are fabulous on the title track, Two Against Nature.

Even though two of us in a five piece band are Steely Dan freaks, we don't play any of their material live. We have found that audiences rarely respond to Steely Dan songs.

But what do they know, anyway? We're talking about audiences that go crazy when we play YMCA.

Jeremy said, "We have found that audiences rarely respond to Steely Dan songs."

Now that is just sick and wrong. What is the world coming to? Seriously, the very thought of a band busting out with a tight version of "Black Cow" or "Kid Charlemagne," and being received with indifference, makes me want to move to another planet.

(BTW, I believe that Tom Barney plays on the tracks "Gaslighting Abbie," "Negative Girl," and "West of Hollywood" on the Two Against Nature CD, Walter Becker playing on the remaining tracks.)

It doesn't really matter, of course, except that I really admire Walter Becker, & I don't think he gets his due recognition.

Post of the day to the first person who can name the one track Becker plays bass on on the Aja album, without checking first!

Originally posted by dcr:

Post of the day to the first person who can name the one track Becker plays bass on on the Aja album, without checking first!

Hmmm - interesting! I always thought the only tune on Aja Chuck Rainey didn't play bass on was "Deacon Blues", which I'm pretty sure is not Walter Becker...

By elimination, I'm going to guess "I've Got The News"???

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Jeremy- I would think that the kind of crowd that liked YMCA (or any other crowd for that matter) would like "My Old School" if not "Show Biz Kids" or "Bodhisattva"; like I mentioned above, my teenaged daughter and her friends love that album, although it took a few plays.

www.ethertonswitch.com

We do what we can get away with. We play The Fez,Home at Last,Pretzel Logic,and Black Friday.

Those are some of my favorites of the night. I really wanna do Kid Charlemagne. We only have two guitars,two voices,bass,and drums,though.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Even if it's not Tom Barney, I still love Ricky Lawson's drum part.

Tell me if you know any other drummer that would come up with that kind of killer drum beat for a six/eight tune.

Ditto on the supreme drum part, but how do you know the drummer came up with it? Becker and/or Fagan are such control freaks with their songs, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they knew the exact beat they wanted there.

"Jack of Speed" is another great tune off of that album. I love the horns part. So simple, so laid back, yet so funky.

All your bass are belong to us!

I have a confession...

I know most people seem to feel 'Aja' is The Dan's 'White Album', and it is truly great. I especially like Steve Gadd's work on the title track. And the songs and arrangements are amazing. But there's just something about 'The Royal Scam' that makes it my favorite Dan album. I'm not even sure why. But it's the Steely Dan album I most often like to play from start to finish.

As for the average audience diggin' Dan songs in a big way...

I think Steely Dan is just too sophisticated for the masses. They are like what fine cuisine is to MacDonalds. Not everyone has the sophistication of taste to prefer Lobster in Philo Pastry over a Big Mac.

Just think about how mediocre most mainstream music for the past 30 years has been, compared to Steely Dan.

I wouldn't put all the blame on the unwashed masses, although thats certainly a factor. What about bands? How many bands can do justice to Steely Dan's stuff? Not their version of a Dan song, but the song itself, "like it was wrote". Hell, if I could play that stuff right, I would probably be a studio pro in NY or LA.

www.ethertonswitch.com

There's a band out here on LI that does all Steely Dan, they really REALLY pull it off, musically and vocally! They call themselves Pocket Rocket and I went to see them one night, as my drummer knows the bandleader.

Really nice guys and insanely talented, all about 45 or over but hey what is age anyway. I never heard Dan material live but I was blown away. You wanna talk about feel? Oh man. Totally different type of feel.

In fact, I think I'll listen to some Dan right now. :D

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Just think about how mediocre most mainstream music for the past 30 years has been, compared to Steely Dan.
Yes, but I'm not sure we get very far by using great artists as a stick to beat lesser ones with. If that's the criteria, who among us shall 'scape whipping?

I have a confession...

I know most people seem to feel 'Aja' is The Dan's 'White Album', and it is truly great.

I'm a long time Dan fan but I've just never got Aja. Deacon Blue is the only track on it I unreservedly like. I'd bracket it with "Can't Buy A Thrill" as the SD album I least like.

For many years I never even listened to Gaucho because it had a reputation of being "like Aja but not so good". When I eventually heard it just a year or so ago I was surprised how much I liked it. I massively prefer it to Aja.

I see the greatness of Steely Dan as more of a creative summit for us all to aspire to reaching, than I do a stick to beat anyone with.

And at least now I don't feel so bad about The Royal Scam being my fav Dan album.

Here's another great Steely Dan link. It's the Steely Dan dictionary. A very interesting way to explore the often enigmatic terms used within the lyrical content of many Steely Dan songs...

http://members.aol.com/danomalley/steelydan/

Archived