Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

childrens bass

R.S.M

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got my kids this 30" scale Hamer Slammer.

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/hammer.jpg

Nice little bass that sounds much better than I expected.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Originally posted by Craig Boeker:

Rondo Music has short scale P and J bass clones for $109.95. 30" scale.

I know a guy (online) that recently pick one up for his kid and was quite happy with it. You certainly won't beat the price.

We've had threads on short scale basses before perhaps. So what size are the kids? I wouldn't reccomend that anything shorter than 30" be used to make low E. A 30" E is just about at the threshold of gloppuity.

I think Ibanez has a short scale model that would probably have a very facilitating neck for smaller hands. Because the scale is only part of the story - one also wants the width depth shape of the neck not to be too blocky.

Originally posted by Torgo's Knees:

I know that Samick makes a wee little bass, sized for young children.

http://www.samickguitar.com/bass/corsair/images/fairlaneimage11.jpg

"* MCR 1 - Mini - Bolt on, split P, rosewood Fgbd., 1 vol., 1 tone, die cast tuners"

Those pickups just look so huge, and loud, on the tiny body.

- Matt W.

here is a sound clip from the Hammer above with both pups on full. Not the best but much better than the sound I can get out of my EBO.

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/huntforhammer.mp3

Originally posted by lug:

here is a sound clip from the Hammer above with both pups on full. Not the best but much better than the sound I can get out of my EBO.

yeah, lug, add a little tube OD, and it'd be phat! Gotta search eBay tonight for one...

:D

Originally posted by Killer Fred from Outer Space:

yeah, lug, add a little tube OD, and it'd be phat! Gotta search eBay tonight for one...

:D

I got it new for $169. Haven't seen one used yet.

Not the best but much better than the sound I can get out of my EBO.

There he goes again :( My short scale EB3 can get sounds that aren't even close to gloppuity.

The Hamer and Fender look like good alternatives. Ibanez has a bass out with a round body (almost reminiscent of PRS) that's small, but not as small as these. It goes around 169.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Dr. Zarkov:

Not the best but much better than the sound I can get out of my EBO.

There he goes again :( My short scale EB3 can get sounds that aren't even close to gloppuity.

The Hamer and Fender look like good alternatives. Ibanez has a bass out with a round body (almost reminiscent of PRS) that's small, but not as small as these. It goes around 169.

Tom

The EB3 also has a pickup that doesn't have fret marks from being too close to the neck on it. :D

Thanks guys,

The child is 5 years old,He has a small aoustic guitar that he loves .But he wants something thats loud {takes after his dad).He is always trying to get ahold of my axes and his birthday is coming up so the mini bass it will be.

Rock-n-roll junkie

For a kid that small, something like the little Samick might be just the thing. I tried one unplugged, & it's actually playable, not just a toy; but it doesn't go so far as being a "real instrument," either, & is quite dinky, so probably just about right for your purposes.

This probably will be totally non-helpful, but when a new music store opened last year they had a bass in the window that was smaller than a strat. It looked like a P-Bass. If I get a chance I'll check it out (if it's not there, I'll ask about it). Also, there is a guitar show on Sunday. I'll check that out too (one half of me hopes there is nothing there, and, well, then there is the GAS).

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Originally posted by Plan 09 from Outer Space:

Fender makes a P Bass Jr.

LINK HERE . It has a 28.5" scale.

I've played one of these. It's not too bad. Would definitely work for a kid. Sounded better than I expected and the E was not troppo flabby.

I played it here. If you can't track one down, you could call them and see if they still have any in stock.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I just played a wee Fender pee bass. I was up at a Schmitts music and wandered in and saw it there. It was priced somewhere over $300 so I laughed and picked it up. It played and sounded better than any kiddie instrument I have ever seen! The intonation was better than most basses I've played that hover around 30". WAY better than my Dano. If it wasn't so spendy,I would have had a hard time not buying it just for the hell of it. I'm sure that they have it on their site.

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

So many potential budget Piccolo Basses! Excellent...

Alex

My next EBO project (after replacing pup and bridge is the unwinnable fight to get a semi-decent tone out of the thing)

I also played that little Fender. I was quite impressed. A fully functional instrument that happens to be sized for small individuals.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived