Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New guy :)

JanJ

Hi, i've finally registered as a member of the forum, although I have been reading the posts for some time now. Great reading, many good ideas and advice. Yeah, well, just wanted to say hello :)

My gear:

Ibanez SR3005ESOL

Korg DTR-2000

Mesa/Boogie Basis M-2000 (For sale)

Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 1000 (For sale)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome!!! Just a word of advice. If you're not a seasoned pro be careful what you say. Some of the "older" and more experienced guys like to make you feel small if you don't always know what you're talking about. If you're not sure...don't say it. ;-)
Don't drink and drive. Get high and fly there.

Hehe, thanks for the little piece of advice, i'll keep that in mind

My gear:

Ibanez SR3005ESOL

Korg DTR-2000

Originally posted by IsIt420Yet:

Welcome!!! Just a word of advice. If you're not a seasoned pro be careful what you say. Some of the "older" and more experienced guys like to make you feel small if you don't always know what you're talking about. If you're not sure...don't say it. ;-)

That's actually only true if you don't know what you are talking about and try to bullshit your way about it.

All of the regulars here are more than willing to share their knowledge and experiences .

btw....Welcome !! :)

PJR

Originally posted by PJR:

That's actually only true if you don't know what you are talking about and try to bullshit your way about it.

All of the regulars here are more than willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

Absolutely true!! Ignorance is no vice, and humility is appreciated across the board.

Good to have you!

I don't try to BS my way thru anything. I am fully aware I have MUCH to learn about bass playing. I made a post about an Ampeg SVT head and made a comment based on what I had been taught. It wasn't my fault I was enlightened improperly by someone. My original post was followed by three sarcastic ones that kinda made me feel somewhat embarrassed for even being a part of the Low Down Lowdown. They could have easily just corrected me without the sarcasm and I would not have felt like I was being the butt of everyone's joke.
Don't drink and drive. Get high and fly there.

Originally posted by noucho:

Do you actually HAVE to play bass to be a member of this forum ? 'Cause I dont...

Have no shame... my primary axe is sax. I play bass, as I like to say, for therapy - a no pressure treat for myself when I want to lay down some funk and let off some steam.

Of course, playing bass or having some useful knowledge about the gear involved in bass playing might enhance your fun level.

JanJ - welcome to the zoo.

- Matt W.

Do you actually HAVE to play bass to be a member of this forum ? 'Cause I dont...

No you don't have to play bass. But you HAVE to love the sweet sound coming from a Fender Jazz with La bella flats through an old Ampeg SVT head and cab.. :D

Btw, Welcome to LDL Jan :thu:

I'll admit to hitting Google just now and typing in "faroe islands" because I had never heard of them, and being slightly embarrassed because I'm a bit of a geography buff.

Looks like an awesome place to live. Maybe I'll come visit you someday! :)

Welcome to the LDL.

Welcome aboard!

Pay no attention to the criticizers...there are always a few who consider themselves 'Wits'.

-well, they're half-right...

Your Friendly Moderators (Tom, Bob and Dave) are three of the best guys around, always willing to offer advice and throw out a joke or two in the process. Be sure to check out Bob's website (click on his link at the top of the 'topic' page). It's more bass information than any one human has the right to know. Jeremy is also a regular mountain of information, and a fellow Ashbory owner (grin for the Gumbies!!). There are lots of professionals on this board, lots of people just getting started, lots of people who do it for a living and lots just because they love the bass and can't help themselves. It's like heroin. Once you feel 'The Thump', you never go back.

JanJ, welcome aboard. IsIt420Yet, sorry about your intro to the boards, but hey, we're from N. Jersey, right? If a Montclair guy can take it, a Bloomfield guy should be able to...

(also, keep an eye on post from ConnieZ and Lee Flyer - these two fine individuals have their heads firmly attached to their shoulders. Good folks, to be sure!)

Peace,

Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

(also, keep an eye on post from ConnieZ and Lee Flyer - these two fine individuals have their heads firmly attached to their shoulders. Good folks, to be sure!)
some of us, on the other hand, seem to have our heads stuck up other places on our bodies ;):D

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

Clark, well actually, the place is boring as hell... or even more boring... rain and fog almost all year round, about 50.000 residents... you get the picture.

:bor:

Anyways, thanks to the welcome commitee :)

Makes you feel right at home

My gear:

Ibanez SR3005ESOL

Korg DTR-2000

ClarkW - before I got to the second post, I had done the same (google).

JanJ - how are your services to the islands connected to the rest of the world? Under-sea cables? Satelite?

Though most of us are in the US, many are not. Sharing about your life is interesting (to me anyway).

Here's a brief look from one site.

Shining like green stones on a grey backcloth, the 18 islands in the Faroes group are undeniably beautiful in a North Atlantic, buffeted-by-gales and tossed-by-sea kind of way. Despite their remote reputation, they aren't that far away if you're in Europe.

The seaside cliffs are teeming with birds. The hiking is magnificent and varied, from craggy headlands with wild surf to desolate moorlands, from cascading waterfalls to snowcapped peaks. Most of the most spectacular parts lie within easy reach of the islands' capital, Tórshavn.

The ground is daubed with white and yellow when hardy wildflowers bloom for a season, and flocks of sheep scatter maniacally as you pass. Visit in the summer, when the days are long and the weather, while certainly not Hawaii, is passable. After all, a hundred thousand nesting birds can't be wrong.

Full name: The Faroe Islands

Area: 1399 sq km (545.6 sq mi)

Population: 45,500

Capital city: Tórshavn (pop 16,500)

People: Nordic and Danish

Language: Føroyskt (Faroese), Danish

Religion: Protestant, evangelical Lutheran

Government: Self-governing overseas administrative division of Denmark (Constitutional monarchy)

Prime Minister: Anfinn Kallsberg

GDP: (Denmark) US$700 million

GDP per head: (Denmark) US$16,300

Annual growth: 6%

Inflation: 2.8%

Major industries: Construction, fishing, handicrafts, shipbuilding.

Major trading partners: Denmark, UK, Germany, France, Norway, USA

Thanks

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Well, here goes...

Seeing as how I am quite young, (a mere 18 years old/young) all the nature-related stuff about the Faroes actually isn't that appealing to me, although I have done a lot of those things (hiking in the mountains, gone fishing, and so on...). I am from the capital, Tórshavn, and quite frankly I'm not much of a blue collar working man, more like a book worm. But I can try to tell you a bit about how the musical/cultural life is, here and other places in the faroes.

Most of everything happens here in Tórshavn, although this one village, Gøta, has become quite the musical centre for a lot of people. But almost everything that comes from there is alternative music (like Bjørk, Sigur Rós, Radiohead, Muse). Sadly, that's about all there is to say about life on the islands for us musically interested people... :(

Anyways, has anyone here ever been to the Faroes?

My gear:

Ibanez SR3005ESOL

Korg DTR-2000

Welcome, JanJ. For the wealth of information here in these postings, it's worth being occasionally criticized or flamed. We tease and poke at each other a lot, but I've learned when we've actually met face to face that we're really nice people who share something cool. Maybe someday you'll get to meet a few of us...

:cool:

For those of you who don't play bass, you're welcome as well. Leo Fender didn't play guitar, but he sure had some great ideas on how to build them, as well as the first production electric bass. But if you play "air bass", or "mirror bass, or "broom bass" (what I did as a high school student for two years prior to buying my first one) you should be welcome here as well. Just as long as "you look mah-ve-lous" doing it...

:D

JanJ, I can imagine that an area that small and rainy would be a bit of a bummer for an 18-year-old searching for stimuli and life to live, but from the point of view of someone who grew up in a suburban sprawl on the great plains of America (where you can see a 10-story building for 100 miles around) and in the desert mountains of the west, and spent two years in the metropolitan jungle of Paris, I take one look at the pictures of your homeland and say to myself:

"Hell yeah, I could hike all over that place and never get bored!"

I hope we can provide a little musical fraternity for you here. What styles of music do you like?

Originally posted by JanJ:

But almost everything that comes from there is alternative music (like Bjørk, Sigur Rós, Radiohead, Muse).

Anyways, has anyone here ever been to the Faroes?

I like some of that kind of music any local stuff thats halfway decent? (does anybody know where sigur Ros come from? Norway?)

I think my bro has been, hes an oceanographer so there are very few places hes not been.

Welcome, glad to have you.

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Welcome to the Fray, Jan!

Originally posted by getz76:

They could have easily just corrected me without the sarcasm and I would not have felt like I was being the butt of everyone's joke.

Lay off the weed, it's making you paranoid.
No doubt.

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

lot's of information about islands removed

Thank you, Mr. Capasso. I was about to do just that. :)

Originally posted by Matt W:

Have no shame... my primary axe is sax. I play bass, as I like to say, for therapy - a no pressure treat for myself when I want to lay down some funk and let off some steam.

Of course, playing bass or having some useful knowledge about the gear involved in bass playing might enhance your fun level.

JanJ - welcome to the zoo.

My primary ax is Bass but I too "play for therapy - an no preasure treat for myself when I want to lay down some funk and let off some steam." I can't find a better reason.

Welcome to the newbies (I still consider myself one).. the search button is at the top of the page, use it wisely and the flaming will be kept to a minimum.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

JanJ, I can imagine that an area that small and rainy would be a bit of a bummer for an 18-year-old searching for stimuli and life to live, but from the point of view of someone who grew up in a suburban sprawl on the great plains of America (where you can see a 10-story building for 100 miles around) and in the desert mountains of the west, and spent two years in the metropolitan jungle of Paris, I take one look at the pictures of your homeland and say to myself:

"Hell yeah, I could hike all over that place and never get bored!"

I hope we can provide a little musical fraternity for you here. What styles of music do you like?

Well, you're right, I can't find any inspiration around... Anyways, I'm moving to Denmark in January, so... :):) Can't wait!!

As for what music I listen to... Currently I'm listening to The Mars Volta, Tom Waits, Weather Report, Sigur Rós and A Perfect Circle mostly... And some Faroese stuff...

And someone asked where Sigur Rós is from... They're from Iceland :)

My gear:

Ibanez SR3005ESOL

Korg DTR-2000

Archived