Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm going to South Carolina

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been to both Carolinas. Let's see, you've got BBQ pork sandwiches and hush-puppies, that's more NC if I'm not mistaken, but nothing to sneeze at, at any rate, and Myrtle Beach. Whippoorwills mourning and dogwoods flowering like silent breathless puffs of black-powder smoke, truly beautiful... in one part of SC they've got the red clay for soil and are more like "Jaja foak" or so I'm told. Now that I think about it, I always assumed "Jaja" meant Georgia, but it could have meant Jar-Jar, hmmmmmmm.... Just teasing about the accent, the language is actually fascinating, descended from a wild and colorful mixture of Irish, Scottish, various African, and other languages. Contrary to 19th-Century racist/imperialist propaganda, the various forms of "y'all" aren't the product of ignorance but come from grammatically complex African roots, and are related in general concept to things like "Euch" and "Ihr" in German and "Vidva" in Slovene. Anyway feel free to laugh at the provincial ingorance of anyone who tries to tell you that "y'all" is ignorant... Alphajerk is in one of the Carolinas, don't know which one, but I think he has a big dog- call first. :D Apparently there's a native parrot, no shit, and if you've ever felt the summer humidity you won't be surprised- but I don't know if it's extinct or not. Well that's about all I know about the Carolinas that's fit for the Internet, enjoy your visit! Oh yeah, lightning and storms and especially heat lightning- yeah! Good stuff. "If you don't like the weather in South Carolina, stick around til tomorrow, it'll be different", as one SC native said to me. -Bobro

Goin' to Carolina with an achin' in your heart... Wait, that's California... Goin' to Carolina, won't be long til I'll be there.... - Dickey Betts Alpha's in Asheville, NC, not far from where my Mom used to live.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

i got two big dogs. a hound named elvis and a husky/wolf named sydney. 3 cats too, and 2 angel fish inside, and about 60 koi/goldfish outside.... there are also wild turkey, catamounts, flying squirrels, regular squirrels, racoons, snakes, possums, and odd bear or two, and many other forms of wildlife. im in west cakalacki. 3 hours from athens, 4 to atlanta, 4 to nashville, 2.5 to charlotte, 4 to RTP. on mountain tops here i can see south carolina, georgia, tennessee, and on good days vagina :p virginia is a little to far to see :D south carolina wewus? you practically live in south carolina. sweet tea is good, moonshine is better.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]Go ahead and talk amongst yourselves.[/b][/quote]What area? You're not one of those truckers bringing plutonium to be dumped in Aiken, are you? The people in the highway department in South Carolina like to drink. You'll find out what I mean. Totally different if you drive across the state line to Georgia. If you drive down I-20, try not to miss the "South of the Border" billboards... not that you'll be able to... Myrtle Beach is a few miles of packed in hotels. A lot of people don't like it because it's totally commercialized; I like to think of it as a "east Las Vegas"; there's a lot of old 60's charm lurking about in old hotels and restaurants (Captain's Quarters still rules), BUT... Myrtle Beach is the best *sounding* beach I've ever heard. Better than any I can think of in Florida, certainly better than Savannah and Hilton Head. Myrtle Beach has the most amazing display of non-periodic wave sounds possible, I love the way it sounds to death. Because of that, it's actually one of the few places I've found I can actually sleep well at. There's something I love about a cold hotel room bed, an open patio door about 4 floors up with a fairly high relative humidity but with that random salty-smell wind blowing through, combined with the sound of the waves breaking and the occasional gull. The part where I lose everyone is that I think there's also something relaxing about certain types of wall-mounted commercial A/C units found in certain hotels... BTW, let me leave you with this: it would seem I yearly pay a South Carolina tax, even though I don't live there. While traffic rountinely jots along at 80mph in Georgia often times - one of the few reasonable things here in Georgia - in South Carolina.... different story.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b] Myrtle Beach is the best *sounding* beach I've ever heard. Better than any I can think of in Florida, certainly better than Savannah and Hilton Head. Myrtle Beach has the most amazing display of non-periodic wave sounds possible, I love the way it sounds to death. Because of that, it's actually one of the few places I've found I can actually sleep well at. There's something I love about a cold hotel room bed, an open patio door about 4 floors up with a fairly high relative humidity but with that random salty-smell wind blowing through, combined with the sound of the waves breaking and the occasional gull. [/b][/quote]No shit? I don't know if you remember, but way back when in the days of yore when I first came to this forum I commented on how one of pieces gave me that vibe about the seaside. Good job. Sometimes I get letters and emails where people describe in their reactions exactly what I was feeling on some tune, it's really a great feeling. Time to grow those Don Juan- Conquistador mustaches, bust out with some palm-tree graphics and do a CD, man.

Calabash shrimp, Isle of Palms, Market street in Charlietown, Myrtle Beach......I could go on....and on.... For a REAL thrill, put a hundred dollar bill behind each ear and run naked down Spurill Ave in Charleston......they love that there! Theres a sho nuff Hells Angel bar out there as well....Dizzy Lizzys, a converted victorian house into a biker bar/clubhouse. Its different, lets say. :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived