Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jaco Pastorious Big Band - Word of Mouth Rev.

groovehead

I bought the Word of Mouth Revisited CD about 2 weeks ago and still cant take it our of my cd player. It is easily the best cd I have heard in quite a while. Anyone else (undoubtedly)heard this? What a collection of talented players. And they all do a great job of sounding like Jaco. For some reason, I cant turn my P-U selector away from the bridge pick up any longer. I have also lost the ability play anything but 16th notes. I think I may have become possessed. Seriously though. What a great record. The one interesting thing about it though is that most of the bassists on this record seem to be playing fretted basses. Not what I would have expected.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah it's great stuff!

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

Originally posted by mound:

yeah it's great stuff!

Funny, on another forum I used to frequent (before discovering this one) they were all complaining about how the bass players on that album were all trying to play fast runs rather than sounding like Jaco, and that the only bass player on that album sounding like Jaco WAS in fact Jaco ...

I wholeheartedly disagree with them. I love this disc, it's a great tribute to one fine bass player, and there's nothing wrong with sounding and playing like yourself rather than 'just' copying another person's bass lines.

That's what I look for in a tribute album anyway, an original approach ...

Cheers,

Eddie

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Just wanted to give this a bump. With all the Jaco fans here, I cant believe no one else has anything to say about this record. How about some questions to direct the conversation.

1. Who's performance did you like the best & why?

2. Do you think that the featured bassists sounded like Jaco, or not? What is your preference here?

I liked Barbary Coast with Gerald Veasley, Punk Jazz with Richard Bona, and Continuum with Jimmy Haslip. Opus Pocus with Jaco's nephew David P. was great too.

I think that aside from Marcus and Victor W. playing with their normal pyrotechnic flare, most of the bassists did sound very Jaco-esque. I think if you are paying tribute to someone, adding your own flavor is great, as long as you retain the main characteristics of the person to whom you are paying tribute .

Originally posted by groovehead:

Just wanted to give this a bump. With all the Jaco fans here, I cant believe no one else has anything to say about this record. How about some questions to direct the conversation.

1. Who's performance did you like the best & why?

2. Do you think that the featured bassists sounded like Jaco, or not? What is your preference here?

I liked Barbary Coast with Gerald Veasley, Punk Jazz with Richard Bona, and Continuum with Jimmy Haslip. Opus Pocus with Jaco's nephew David P. was great too.

I think that aside from Marcus and Victor W. playing with their normal pyrotechnic flare, most of the bassists did sound very Jaco-esque. I think if you are paying tribute to someone, adding your own flavor is great, as long as you retain the main characteristics of the person to whom you are paying tribute .

We have discussed this album a few times before... so maybe that's it.

One time

Haslip and Bona get my vote for favorite tracks, but everyone played great on the album (except Wooten... man, I still hate that track). Christian McBride's take on Forgotten Love also owns much, much real estate.

Archived