Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any GOOD bass playing lead vocalists?

Just like anything else, singing and playing bass is something you can get better at with practice. I've been doing it for years. I always sang when I played guitar, and when I picked up the bass I fully intended to sing while I did that, too. Yes, it's harder to do with bass than with guitar, but you just have to work at it.

Now, my role model in this area is Geddy Lee, and I can simultaneously play and sing almost all his Rush stuff. But a caveat - when the bassist/vocalist is also the primary composer in the band, it's a bit easier. Geddy composes Rush's music knowing that he is also going to have to sing it, and so as the parts come together, the bassline and the vocal fit neatly. It's sometimes amazing to look at one of his bass lines printed out, see how complex it is. You wonder "does he sing while he plays that?" But then you start playing it, and start singing, and discover that the two parts, though different, fit together perfectly and it's not as difficult as it first looked.

It's more difficult, though, when the original bassist and the vocalist are two different people. For example, the song Gimme Three Steps[/b] by Lynard Skynard. The song is nowhere near as complex as most Rush songs. But the bass line doesn't interact with the vocals the same way Geddy's lines do. When I perform the song, I'm forced to simplify the bass line.

And Iron Maiden is another example. I can sing the songs, and I can play the bass lines, but it's a challenge to do both at once. Steve Harris puts all his energy into his bass lines, and Bruce Dickinson puts all his energy into his vocals. Trying to do both at once forces me to split my energy two ways. So this is a "strength" issue rather than a coordination issue.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by YaCaBaby:

Originally posted by Aussie bass dude:

Mark King of Level 42, I think he plays some kind of funky slappy bass and sings ;)

;)

also Tim B Shmit form the Eagles

Yes he does! One of the greatest bassists i think.

:Dhttp://hometown.aol.co.uk/SharminHall/MK1.JPG

I have never seen that lighted fretboard before. That is awesome.

If you think thats awesome, look at this one.

These are called King Basses and by Status Graphite.

Those LEDs are put in as a custom option and look great...

http://www.status-graphite.com/status/carts/image/basses/princessall17.jpg

King Bass 'Princess'

http://www.status-graphite.com/status/carts/image/basses/black972.jpg

King Bass 'Black Beauty' shes my favourite bass of all the SG ranges. :)

I came in late, but the first name that jumped was Mark King, and it has been covered here.

Ok, this is an odd one, I once caught Sheryl Crow on tv laying down a STRONG groove on a Musicman bass and singing her little heart out, i was really impressed!

by the way, Jeremy..

I LOVE YOU MAN !!!!

you sure tell it like it is, bro...

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Originally posted by bassaddik:

Ok, this is an odd one, I once caught Sheryl Crow on tv laying down a STRONG groove on a Musicman bass and singing her little heart out, i was really impressed!

Agreed, she is a solid musician. And she's uber-hot. ;)

Some of her quotes tend to lead me to believe she's not the sharpest tool in the shed, though. :D

OH, BOY!!! A new inversion of the old "my music is (pick one)

1) better than yours

2) harder to play than yours

3) harder to play AND sing than yours

4) intrinsically purer of heart than yours

5) intrinsically purer of soul than yours

6) was taught to me personally by aliens from the planet Zoom

Shaka, looking at the threads, and I don't mean this in any particular way, but it seams based on the "I don't get Elvis" and this thread about Paul and Sting that you have a particular jones about something that I have no intention of getting into, but to all but the most coarse of imbilicles should be obvious.

W2F, that had to be the most ignorant remark I've every seen on this forum. "Carribean Music" has just as viable place in the music world as the classical music my kids make fun of, or the jazz that my grand parents swore would make my parents Satan worshiping dope fiends, the old metal that my parents swore would make me a Satan worshiping dope fiend, or the Nu-Metal that I swear will make my kids Satan worshiping dope fiends.

B_G_O sez "Music is it's own reward" He is sooooo friggin' right.

It's time to get back to talking bass, not talking base (pun, get it?). I am sure there are other forums were we can find people who agree with our most narrow of views were we can spend the days bashing "their" music.

And, It started in Philly! Ask anyone there! TSOP!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

This thread is rather useless. It's been prejudiced in the opening by stating the work of Sting and Sir Paul would not qualify.

Both men are fantastic players. It's difficult enough to play either of their lines well without singing. Don't forget, it's not the number of notes but it's about playing to fit the music.

And use the search feature, we've been through this topic a number of times.

And probably one of the easiest genre's to sing and play bass simultaneous would be classic reggae, as there are typically compose of simple root-III-V lines that lock in with the vocal rhythm.

The amazing thing about Sting's work with The Police was the use of reggae-style rhythms AND his use of non-reggae vocal rhythms.

Sir Paul... yeah... Day Tripper. Yeah. Enough. (what a GREAT line. I dig the Hendrix cover.)

The bassist in Reggae is literally the conductor of the band. You never see conductors playing instruments in an orchestra and conducting at the same time, do you?

I actually would disagree. In every live reggae show, I've seen (and obviously not as many as our resident expert)everyone was following the singers.

Wasn't Ricky Minor conducting the whole band on the Motown 45 show a few weeks ago?

Didn't Jaco conduct his own band?

Doesn't Marcus Miller conduct his own band (and play bass, sax, clarinet and sing in it as well?

im pretty sure brian wilson from the beach boys played bass and sang aprox 1/2 lead vocals(trading with mike love)

not that his bass parts were so difficult, but he was and still is a musical genius and this is no exception.

the bb's certainly had great harmonies though!! check out pet sounds, especially on vinyl record.

ITS UNBELIEVEABLE.

Getz is right. McCartney qualifies. McCartney always qualifies.

Of course his vocal lines & bass lines are hard to put together. But what does that prove? He could've dubbed them, right? Right, but the fact is that he usually didn't. Have a listen to the "Anthology" discs, & you'll hear Paul laying all his vocal & instrumental parts down at once. The other thing you'll hear is that for all of the mistakes & false starts on the tracks, almost none of them are his.

He's just that good.

Other people may be that good, too. But quite frankly, my first response upon being told that someone can play & sing his parts together with great ease, is not to be credulous.

TSBR- Just like with Elvis, I never saw what the fuss was about with reggae, and I have little interest in the genre or the crackpot religion that is associated with it. For the Carribean stuff, I'll take Osibisa.
Mmmh? :confused: My lips are sealed as far as your calling it a 'crack pot' religion is concerned. As someone said once, 'Ignorance is no excuse, but it's certainly bliss'.

And oh, lest I forget, Osibisa were from Ghana I believe. That's on the African continent, NOT the Carribean. ;)

As for not 'acknowledging' Macca's talents as I should, well, what can I say.

I think they are/were from (at least some of them) Trinidad and Tobago. And don't give me the ignorance is bliss routine either. Emperor of Ethiopa my ass. :rolleyes: Thats right up there with virgins giving birth and people coming back from the dead. And furthermore :D I'll bet Sir Paul could play reggae lines and sing Bob Marley songs better than Family Man could play and sing Beatles songs. I think that your being ate up with reggae hurts your ability to see what is really there. Keep trying to expand your horizons.

www.ethertonswitch.com

And while I'm raggin', social critic, I didn't frag the whole genre, just the overratedness of reggae, so it may not be the most ignorant remark that you've "every seen on this forum."

www.ethertonswitch.com

Well, way2fat, now you're insulting everyone.

At least all the Christians and Rastafarians here. (I am neither, so you haven't insulted me yet).

Hailie Selassie actually was the Emperor of Ethiopia and if people want to worship him, what's wrong with that?

And as far as Osibisa, you're both right:

according to

The Official UK Osibisa Website

"Formed in London in 1969 by three Ghanaian and three Caribbean musicians, Osibisa played a central role in developing an awareness of African music among European and North American audiences in the '70s."

I've got their first album around here somewhere.

Other bands that I liked back then were Cymande , whose members came from Guyana, Jamaica, and St.Vincent, and Touré Kunda from Senegal. Touré Kunda is still active and like many African bands, has incorporated a lot of reggae into their music.

And many West African groups these days are incorporating a lot of Cuban elements into their music.

It pays to listen to everything.

It's all good.

Back to the thread,

What about Suzi Quatro? She sang and played bass.

http://www.suziquatro.com/images/thumb15.jpg

way2fat,

give "babylon by bus", a live bob marley album, a listening one day. be sure to use a good sound system or headphones, preferably. if you dont dig the bass on that album, then you can truly say that you dont understand what the fuss with reggae is. Either that, or go to a live reggae show. In either case Im sure you'll walk away a fan.

lets keep our minds open and good things will happen.

:thu:

James Fitzgerald

Platinum Member,

Human Race

"I dont buy toys. I buy tools."

These variations on "Geezer Butler Rules" don't bother me when they are not being propagated by admited experts. And I think that the majority of religons are crackpot, not just the little ones, but I mean that with affectionate indulgence, not insultingly. If you want to worship the former emporer of Ethiopia, or Margaret Thatcher, or Jesus Christ or a 53 Plymouth it doesn't matter. And I don't change the channel if reggae comes on the radio (like I do with Rush). It just gets to all sounding the same.

Osibisa's second album, my favorite, complete with Roger Dean cover, was called Woyaya and the bass player, if memory serves was a dude named Spartacus R but I don't remember if he sang. Played a mean bass though.

Anyway, sorry if anyone is insulted. I don't think TSBR is insulted, I think he has an argumentive side (just like me) that he enjoys exercising (just like me). I didn't take offense when he doubted that I could hum a reggae line and walk and I don't expect him to take offense at my witty ripostes. :D I hope we get a chance to meet in person some day.

www.ethertonswitch.com

And many West African groups these days are incorporating a lot of Cuban elements into their music. It pays to listen to everything.
Jeremy, one of the most important genres in African music is called Lingala, from Congo and also from the land of great bassists, Cameroon. :cool:

It's totally based on Cuban Rhumba, then fused with Afro influences. Try and track down artists like:

1. Franco T.P.OK Jazz Band

2. Madilu System

3. Tabuley

4. Koffi Olomide

5. Papa Wemba

6. Wenge Musica etc...

Have a listen, some wicked bass playing in that music. :thu:

Way2fat, I'm as tuff a debater as they come (call it argumentative), however, insulting religion is a no no to me. I'm cynical, but I respect ALL religions coz trust me, the power of belief in all cultures can't be ignored. :)

About Macca 'easily' playing Reggae bass, well, what makes Reggae hard to grasp is actually it's supposed simplicity! :)

Very few notes oh yes, but to get the timing and soul of that music ain't no joke.

There have been many reggae albums released worldwide, but NONE have ever truly captured Family man, Flabba Holt, Leroy Sibbles of Robbie's feel. ;)

Do you know why? 'Virtuosism' doesn't quite play Reggae well. :D

It's the same with Delta Blues by the way.

TSBR- I'm a tough debater too-we probably have more in common than not. I agree with your point that feel is more important than monster chops in reggae and delta blues- and everything else with the possible exception of classical.

Also note that I have great respect for the power of belief, I have seen it work- its the organized religion part that I am poking fun at. Organized religion requires continual deflating otherwise it can become a real problem, and I'm talking about John Ashcroft every bit as much as I'm talking about Osama bin Laden. (anyone remember him?). I guess they're going to have CD burning parties of our stuff down in Mississippi, ala Beatles and Dixie Chicks. :D , but Chickenfoot Gumbo will never back down! Ecrasez L'Infame!

Finally, let me say that I can almost hum "Get Up, Stand Up" and walk. At the same time. :cool:

www.ethertonswitch.com

I've scanned this thread closely and noticed an absence of immense proportions!

http://www.clatter.com

:D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I forgot about Rick Danko.

Boz Burrell: I hated his vocals with King Crimson, but Fripp tried to teach him Bass.

Greg Lake - Pictures at an Exhibition - some great bass playing and fantastic vocals.

Originally posted by lug:

I've scanned this thread closely and noticed an absence of immense proportions!

http://www.clatter.com

:D

It was mentioned here, but it never hurts to mention them again :D

posted 06-07-2004 10:38 AM TSBR... check out this site for one of our own here at the ldl that is a great bassist and lead singer

If you are in the U.S.A. in July you should do everything possible to be in Boonville MO. on the 10th.

Watching Amy and Joe live is something you just have to see.

one bass...three amps

Doug. Pinnick.

Say it again:

DOUG. PINNICK.

I have NEVER seen any bassist combine such powerful singing with such in-the-pocket bass playing. The guy is in inhumanly good. And some of that material is crazy funky syncopated, and he's up there on top doing the blood-curdling gospel shout over just a MASSIVE huge death-ray tone. This subject has come up many times as someone pointed out, but I'll be danged if I'm gonna let Doug get left out of the discussion again. :D

And Paul McCartney is what they used to call a "natural" in Olden Tymes. He can play just about any instrument well, singing like an angel on top. He is a treasure.

"Expectations are the enemy of music." - Mike Keneally

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

Great Rock Bassist/Singers

1) Doug Pinnick (King's X)

2) Geddy Lee (Rush)

3) Paul McCartney (The Beatles)

4) Sting (The Police)

5) Les Claypool (Primus)

6) Jack Bruce (Cream)

7) Greg Lake (Emerson, Lake, and Palmer)

8) Lemmy Klimeister (Motorhead)

9) Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)

10) Chris Squire (Yes)

"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

Archived