Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any GOOD bass playing lead vocalists?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, am I really late to the party, but whatever... your libations weren't worthy of a tip from the Doc anyway. :D;)

Regardless of instrument, I'd do anything to sing and play like this guy:

http://www.home-of-rock.de/Bildergalerie/Dream_Theater/Pics/Pain_Of_Salvation_05.jpg

That's Daniel Gildenlow, lead vocalist and guitarist of the excellent Pain of Salvation.

EDIT: His younger brother, Kristoffer, is quite the bassist, and backup vocalist.

Originally posted by Lawnmower8:

Great Rock Bassist/Singers

1) Doug Pinnick (King's X)

2) Geddy Lee (Rush)

3) Paul McCartney (The Beatles)

4) Sting (The Police)

5) Les Claypool (Primus)

6) Jack Bruce (Cream)

7) Greg Lake (Emerson, Lake, and Palmer)

8) Lemmy Klimeister (Motorhead)

9) Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)

10) Chris Squire (Yes)

Man, you forgot Kip Winger :D

Sorry but I was flipping and caught top whatever hair bands of the 80's.

Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

Geddy Lee...no joke..

Sting....no joke....

King....no joke..even though I do not dig his tunes

But...

I think BASS is always or can be better without vocals to wrestle with..I do not think the bass is an instrument that inspires singing, the way guitar or keyboard...

I really love Mark King but i have to stress the early stuff like Love Meeting Love and Sandstorm from the Early tapes Album is much more appealing as the bass lines over powering.

I saw him a few weeks ago in Hellendoorn Holland and they were outstanding,as always, very tight and with it but it seems that somehow the flair he once had has burnt out a little but none the less a great musician.

If you guys can get hold of Trash, theres some way out type of stuff you wouldn't expect from Mark and worth a listen if you want non funk type tracks.

I agree with all the examples posted of professional singing bass players. I sing and play bass in a group, actually share the singing and harmony vocal duties with three other mates, and I know how hard it is. One "type" of music overlooked in this thread is bluegrass and newgrass. I know we all think of the bassist banging out root-five ad nauseum but it ain't necessarily so. Many of the new guys are hot bassists and are expected and required to be able to sing and harmonize WELL. For fun check out John Cowan with the New Grass Revival (with Sam Bush, Bela Fleck and Pat Flynn, or with the Sam Bush Band. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by 61Pbass:

How about John Wetton's vocal/bass work in U.K...or Uriah Heep...or King Crimson?

61Pbass, anyone who knows Heep is okay in my book ;-) John Wetton didn't do much lead singing for Heep though, just the one song on "High And Mighty". That said, some killer bass playing and it's a shame it all had to end WAY too soon for him.

Luckily, Heep is still around and have an incredible bass player in Trevor Bolder (yep, Bowie's old bass player) who's one of the most melodic and solid players I know. Definitely one of my all time favourite bassists.

Oh, and check out the website of the fanclub I run for John Lawton, one of Heep's old singers. I'm not the webmaster, but I do run the fanclub ;-) http://www.johnlawtonbandclan.be

Cheers,

Eddie

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

John Entwhistle - More his solo albums rather than with The Who

Tina Weymouth - With the Tom Tom Club rather than the Talking Heads

Jack Blades - Night Ranger and Damn Yankees

Tim Schmit - The Eagles, Sang lead on a few of their hit songs

James Dewar - One of my favorites, super soulful voice, solid player with great tone (Robin Trower)

Billy Sheehan - Check out his solo album "Compression"

Phil Lynott - Thin Lizzy

Bruce Hall - REO Speedwagon, not the lead singer but the singer on their hit single "Back on the Road Again" excellent voice

Michael Sadler - Saga, Lead singer, traded off bass duties during the course of live shows (saw these guys on the "Worlds Apart" tour-Fantastic!)

Dusty Hill - ZZ Top, Shared lead vocal duties with Billy Gibbons

The list goes on....

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

In addition to Sir Paul, Richard Bona, Geddy, Mark King, Jack Bruce, et al., I would like to add:

Peter Cetera of Chicago - 'Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?' is a good example of his versatilty, but there are many others, especially from their early (more adventurous) albums.

Aimee Mann of Till Tuesday

Benjamin Orr of The Cars - Ben sang lead on about half of The Cars' songs.

I've seen Victor Wooten rap live while playing bass. It's a thing of beauty.

Geddy is that all-time champ in this category, though. I'd place Sir Paul and Richard Bona in a tie for second place.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I think I'm surprised that there aren't many NEW pop/rock bands with bassist/lead singers.

Especially with all of the incredible influences out there, evidence by this post so far.

Any bands breaking out in the past 3 years or so led by a lowend frontperson?

Just wondering...

"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

Archived