Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name ONE bassist you'd invite home for dinner.

After Steve Harris, I'd invite Robert DeLeo (my main influence), Les Claypool, Flea, Geddy, and then TRUJILLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll answer in 2 categories:

Interesting Bassists to exchange notes with(and by exchange notes I mean them telling me everything they know):

Justin Chancellor-TOOL

Chris Wolstenholme-Muse

Victor Wooten- Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

heck yes.

Muse kicks a$$!!

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

Originally posted by bluestrat:

Sean Yesalt (spelling?) from White Zombie circa La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol. 1 Tasty.... :eek::love::D

Funny...I just put that album into my car CD player for the first time in about 3 years. I almost forgot how much I enjoy it.

1960...5!!!! YEAH!!!!! WOW!!!..... 5!!!!! YEAH!!!!! Demon Warp is.. coming alive.. in 1960... 5!5!5!

:thu::thu::thu:

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Since so many people have already invited & fed Tony Levin, he's a fat & happy Papa Bear. So I'll ask Pete Trewavas (Marillion/Transatlantic/Kino). Probably have to cook something with leeks...

http://www.kinomusic.com/images/PC083090.jpg

I tried to invite Anthony Sallee (WhiteHeart, Michael W. Smith) when he was in town around Christmas; but he never returned my e-mail. Still a nice guy, though.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

• 11 months later...

Hmmm... I think maybe g. (or "greenboy" or "absent" or whatever he's called now ;) )

I've had a beer with Dave Sisk. He's good people. We were discussing and looking at my rig and he said, "Hey, whatever sounds good to you". :D

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

I'd invite Uncle Brother!!

Seriously, it would have to be Paul McCartney. His music has taken up a large amount of my listening time through the years. And I could figure out some sort of vegetarian dish to make.

It would be great fun to meet another Lowdowner sometime too.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Uncle Brother plays the spoons.

He thinks that all stringed musical instruments, with the exception of the fiddle and banjo, are "high falutin'". All low frequency requirements are met by blowing across the top of a 1 U.S. gallon ceramic jug.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

I'd probably invite Jason (Gospel**#oftheday**theZealot). He's a really cool guy I'd like to get to know better.

I don't know if I'd get much out of sitting with a "bass idol" other than the "I'm sitting talking to a famous person" syndrom. I don't know if they're cool or not so I'd probably just invite them to a restaurant so I can make up some lame excuse to leave if they suck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Steve Bailey. He treated me real, real well at the "Bass at the Beach" thing I went to a year and a half ago. A true talent, and a real nice guy.

Peace

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I'd invite Pino Palladino myself. :) Would love to share stories and POVs.

The same day I played with Vic Wooten, we had a toast and some snacks at another guy's house, at night time. Wonderful, very humble guy, easy to get along with. That was back in 1997, but I wouldn't mind sharing again.

Also on 2000 I shared with Verdine White. Couldn't say it was much, or even a dinner by itself (more like a chat and snacks at the hotel's lobby after the show), but certainly was a very valuable experience for me. One I would repeat, definitely.

Honestly? I would invite to dinner any bassman who can be humble enough to share a dinner at my humble table, have a nice chat, and be able of not making a whole mess of him/herself. Therefore, that excludes, of course, mega-stardom freaks, big-ego-ed shredders, and the like. And in my guess, that would include most of the fine comrades here at the Lowdown. Shame I'm so far away....

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

Two years ago I said Greenboy. I was both young and impressionable.

Today, since the thread title specifies "bassists" and not "bass guitarists", I'd invite Edgar Meyer. Not only is he my favorite bassist, he may qualify as my favorite musician, period.

Archived