Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name ONE bassist you'd invite home for dinner.

Originally posted by Funkster:

John Paul Jones,, I have so many questions :thu:

It would have to be an 8 course dinner, and you would still be only scratching the surface. :D:thu:

"The Blues is the Roots, and the rest is the Fruits"

Willie Dixon

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would invite cliff burton, if he were still alive. all i would have to make is nothing. i would need about 200 12 packs of budweiser, though.

john entwhistle also would get the invite, if he were still alive.

since it has to be a living bass player, i would invite marcus miller.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Originally posted by TShakazBlackRoots:

Rhonda Smith...candles, some wine... oh yeah.
Yes Getz! I told them too. Rhonda Smith! :love: . Problem is, as my thread states, I didn't let her in as only ONE bassist is invited. :mad:

Can I change my mind? :confused::confused:

I repeat, NAME ONE BASSIST! Many of you aren't making your minds up. 'Too many bassists, one little dinner'. Tragic. :rolleyes:

Paul McCartney. Or Jack Casady. Or Phil Lesh. Or Bill Wyman (I totally love his book, "Bill Wyman's Blues Journey"). Or Michael Steele. Or Carol Kaye (bet SHE'D have some great stories!)

If death was no barrier, Jaco Pastorius. Or James Jamerson.....

Oh, yeah--my first choice would be... you know the guy I'm thinkin' of... that guy... you know who I mean... good old what's his name... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by jeremyc:

Nobody wants Melissa auf der Maur?

http://smashingpumpkins.com.ar/albums/melissa/aam.jpg

or Sean Yseult?

http://www.monmouth.com/~stiction/issue_1/graphics/images/zom09.jpg

You beat me to the punch, Jeremy! I was going to say her, I mean if I have to pick one bassist.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

And if no one tells my wife, can I have dinner with Sheryl Crow? ;)

Lance has enough to worry about going for #6 (Ullrich, Heras, Hamilton, Simoni, Beloki et.al.)without you hitting on his girl!

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

I'd invite John Doe; I've actually spoken on length with my wife about this, we both feel he'd make a great dinner guest.

He is the man that inspired me to play bass. He writes kick-ass songs, crafts beautifully melodic bass lines, and has a voice like gold.

Paul McCartney would be welcome too Nick, since I haven't ate meat in 18 years, I'm sure we could whip something up for Sir Paul. :thu:

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

I gave John Doe a ride once. (long story). He is a very nice and intelligent guy, you'll enjoy your dinner.

Meanwhile, I've decided to have dinner with our own Connie Z. (Her husband Roger can come too).

We can go out and have muffalettas.

Now I have to get to New Orleans somehow.

Percy Jones. No doubt. And after a fine meal we discuss the pro's and con's of Melissa Auf der Maur and (for good times sake) Suzi Quatro. But it will be very late then, right ?
I prefer a bottle in front of me instead of a frontal lobotomy

I gave John Doe a ride once. (long story). He is a very nice and intelligent guy, you'll enjoy your dinner.
Are you having a laugh Jeremy? :confused: Does that name actually exist, I mean given to someone? I thought John Doe is a name given to 'nameless' people by the police.

Maybe I got it all wrong. :D

Dave Brown. We'd have ribs.

Or Tom Capasso. We'd have gnocchi. (And man, do I love gnocchi. Especially with pesto. Pesto is an absolute good.)

I'd invite Sweets, but I don't want him anywhere near my wife. :D

But probably nobody more famous than that.

Who's this guy, and why is courage required to have him around for dinner? :confused:

Do we have some psycho bassists I should know of? :D

Thanx Jeremy for the John Doe info. Did you say he plays for X? Hope you ain't 'pulling my leg'. :rolleyes:

You need to know all who all these people are. They are real people and legendary.

At some point you might want to listen to X

John Doe is at the bottom right.

http://www.xtheband.com/images/circle.jpg

Meanwhile Scott Thunes is an absolutely brilliant bassist. You can hear him on a lot of Frank Zappa cds from the 80's. However, he seems to be hard to get along with and the entire Zappa band disbanded because no one wanted to be on the road with him for one day longer when the band was on a European tour. That's not just my opinion, read below.

As far as I know, Scott is not playing music at the moment and his website is down.

Frank was not very involved in the rehearsals for, or during, the tour and whenever he was unable to attend, Scott Thunes was appointed as rehearsal leader.

In carrying out this role, he was apparently abrasive, blunt and rude to the other members of the band and eventually two factions developed: with Frank, Scott Thunes and Mike Kenneally on one side, and the remaining nine members of the band on the other. The atmosphere was so bad that it seriously affected the music, particularly during the concerts in Italy.

Before leaving Europe, Zappa went to each member of the band and explained to them that there were ten more weeks of concerts booked in the USA and asked them

If Scott is in the band, will you do the tour?

With the exception of Kenneally, all the members of the band said No. Rather than replace Thunes, Zappa cancelled almost three months worth of concerts and took a big loss on the tour. He never toured again.

(excerpt from Zappa, a visual documentary by Miles)

http://www.cidanka.nl/keneally/images/scott88d.jpg

Man, Jeremy, I live in the 'sticks', literally coz I have no clue about these legends....shame :mad:

I first heard the name Frank Zappa on this forum. I haven't heard his stuff yet, but I'm gonna chase up all these people I'm reading about over here. :)

I can't decide.

So, I'll just leave a standing invitation to dinner for any of my Lowdown bothers and sisters that make it down to my neck-o-the-woods. We have good mexican food down here(Sonoran style), Mmm..Mmm good! :thu::thu:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I don't eat pork and beef. Poultry and fish is ok.

Well then, you could try out the chicken enchiladas or some fish tacos, very yummy!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Tim Foreman of Switchfoot.

After dinner, I'd get on my drums and we'd play Switchfoot songs.

I'd love to talk to him about his experience playing in a band of Christians who appeal so successfully to both the Christian and the secular market (their latest CD, "The Beautiful Letdown," recently went platinum).

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Originally posted by TShakazBlackRoots:

Who's this guy, and why is courage required to have him around for dinner? :confused:

Do we have some psycho bassists I should know of? :D

Thanx Jeremy for the John Doe info. Did you say he plays for X? Hope you ain't 'pulling my leg'. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that seems quite suspicious, don't it?? :mad:

I must not think bad thoughts... I must not think bad thoughts... :D;)

I can think of some wonderful players Id like to have over, but instead here are the ones that have already been to my house for dinner.

In no particular order:

Mike Dimin

Norm Stockton

Bill Dickens

Steve Lawson

Jake Kot

Trip Wamsley

Todd Johnson

Myron Dove

Polo Jones

I know I missing some playersisnt the mind the first thing to go or is it the second.

Mark

AccuGroove.com

Archived