Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mark Egan

doc taz

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man, what a great player.

Check out the first Pat Metheny Group album. (The white one).

Or the group Elements.

Or his solo albums.

Or for something completely different, Joan Osborne's debut cd.

And he's a very nice, unassuming guy.

The design of Pedulla basses has a lot to do with him....he was one of the first customers.

Anytime you are curious about a player, go to allmusic.com and look him up, you'll get a complete discography.

And for Egan, it's extensive.

Mark's not only a outstanding player, but a great guy as well.

A couple of years ago at the summer NAMM Mark was a breath of fresh air after hearing "chops" for days on end at the show. He played the most wonderful melodic fretless lines while holding down a huge groove with Larry Coryell at a club.

Mark has a great solo CD "Freedom Town" that's worth investing in. Some of my favorite work of Marks shows up on the earlier Pat Metheny albums. (Pat Metheny Group 1978; American Garage 1980) In addition, he has played on numerous high profile commercials for major corporations, as well as movies & TV shows.

Mark Egan\'s Site

Mark

AccuGroove.com

I first came across him back in the 80's when he showed up on the Arcadia album (ex-duran duran type), his playing was the most impressive thing about the album in retrospect (I even think I still have it on cassette somewhere in my basement).
www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

I'm going to repeat my praise for the album called

The Pat Metheny Group

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000261NL.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I've been enjoying this record for over twenty years.

Mark Egan's playing is absolutely wonderful on this cd (and influenced my concept of a fretless sound).

I bought this album and thought I was a fan of Pat Metheny's. I also liked his Bright Size Life album (Jaco at age 18 played on that one) and the American Garage one (which Egan also played on).

After hearing Metheny's later work, I realized that it was the bass playing that made me love the music and I've never liked his music as much with Steve Rodby playing bass (Sorry, Steve). I'm looking forward to hearing a recent track recorded with Richard Bona.

And ironically, I bought the Joan Osborne cd because Egan was on it (and because it was produced by W. Wittman who used to post on TBL regualarly) and became a fan of Osborne. It's a different side of Egan's playing and he is super solid and straightforward on this record, playing a Fender Jazz through a tube amp instead of playing his usual Pedulla basses.

I have a nice poster of Mark Egan that he autographed for me.

Hmm, I can hear the difference between Rodby and Egan. I just bought this on CD at Bleecker Street Records in NYC. I was about to get the vinyl version, but splurged for the CD instead. :)

I'd have to agree with you, Jeremy. Egan's a much better fit. The other albums I have of Metheny are his "Offramp" on cassette, and something with Charlie Haden on CD.

I just heard "(Cross the)Heartland" by the Pat Metheny Group (from the album American Garage) for the first time in quite a few years.

It's obviously Mark Egan and he sounded great.

It would be interesting to make a A/B comparison with versions that Steve Rodby has played on.

It looks like Pat recorded the tune four times, twice with Egan and twice with Rodby.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

I'm going to repeat my praise for the album called

The Pat Metheny Group

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000261NL.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I've been enjoying this record for over twenty years.

I was studying guitar in 1978 (10th grade). One day after a lesson, my teacher took me to the record store adjacent to the music store where he taught. Without saying why we were there, he picked up this (at the time) brand new Pat Metheny record, handed it to me, and said "buy this". That was a great lesson.

That PMG album has been one of the most influential on my development as a musician.

Archived