Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Making my Mexican Jazz sound like a Pedulla

mnolansoc

This is related to another post I had up, but slightly new, so I thought I'd repost. I want to put new pickups in my Mexican Jazz (so I don't have to buy a new bass). I really like the sound that Chris Wolstenholme of Muse gets with his Pedulla. It's nice and clean. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of pickups I might possibly be able to get. Don't worry about measurements, I'll check those out later. Thanks all!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you make a $300 instrument sound like a $3,000 instrument?

If it were easy, there wouldn't be any $3,000 instruments.

That said, you might be able to cop the sound with some changes in electronics and technique. However, I doubt it will feel like the Pedulla. Feel is important; it really does influence your playing.

I think most (if not all) Pedulla fretless fingerboards are coated. This makes quite a difference in the sound of the instrument. I don't know if the player whose sound you wish to emulate has a coated 'board or not, but chances are it is coated.

As already mentioned, there are the Bart pickups. Then there's also a Bart active preamp.

Lastly, if you like his recorded sound, remember that there's a whole lot going on during the recording that processes the tone. IF you like his live sound, also learn about what he uses for amplification. Just a reminder that as far as the tools go, there's more involved than just the bass.

Then there are technique issues...

Peace.

--s-dub

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Very well said. I definitely agree. I am not expecting my $300 bass to sound like his $3000, but if $100-$150 can get me one step closer, I'll be happy. Thanks for your advice, it is very much appreciated.

Barts are great, but

"Barts alone do not a Pedulla make."--Yoda

If you want your Mexi jazz sound like a Pedulla, start with Barts, then replace the tuners, bridge, electronics, neck and body with Pedulla parts. That'll get you close.

"Study, study, study...or BONK BONK bad kids!"

Originally posted by bubbaupright:

Barts are great, but

"Barts alone do not a Pedulla make."--Yoda

If you want your Mexi jazz sound like a Pedulla, start with Barts, then replace the tuners, bridge, electronics, neck and body with Pedulla parts. That'll get you close.

Funny you say that. I work with Mr. Pedulla's brother and mentioned this thread to him. He said pretty much exactly what you said bubbaupright. :D

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Archived