Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Elvis Presley's legacy: 'I just don't get it'!

Things may change for the better in future. :rolleyes: Yeah right! :D

The most important thing is the music. Many times, I've discovered that all this 'politics' and friction actually isn't as much as it's hyped about in the media, and musicians do get on well (white, black etc..) :thu:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TShakazBlackRoots:

My only problem is those who borrow or imitate this art almost always, seem to earn a lot more than the originators, for whatever reason.

This is certainly not unique to music. I can name many, many areas where the "inventor" or trailblazer didn't capitalize even though they might have tried.

Ever heard of Philo Farnsworth? How about David Sarnoff? (hint: TV). Which one invented, and which one capitialized?

Also, what did Bill Gates and Microsoft really invent?

Need more examples? :)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Originally posted by RobT:

My only problem is those who borrow or imitate this art almost always, seem to earn a lot more than the originators, for whatever reason.

Truer words were never spoken. Once a market is established or founded, it's pimped to death. :mad:
Rob T, exactly!!! :thu:

TSBR, speaks volumes about the market, doesnt it. Fabrication vs sincere emotion :mad:

"The Blues is the Roots, and the rest is the Fruits"

Willie Dixon

So what's the big deal about Elvis? He came along during the most hopelessly Caucasian period in American history. The big performers of the day, pre-King, were Pat Boone and Perry Como. Zzzzzzzz.... Any white people who wanted to hear music with any sort of bounce to it had to tune in the black stations while their parents weren't around, or go to the wrong side of the tracks. Then came Elvis, all raw redneck sensuality and sneering swagger, who sang loud, brash music that sounded like a cross between 'race records' and songs about sex, directly into the ears of White America's daughters, proceeding to scare the living hell out of all the adults, and becoming the idol of the kids.

To understand Elvis, you must understand the straitjacketed culture of 50s America. You must understand a world before MTV, before Jerry Springer, nearly before TV itself. Most of us live in a world where there has never not been Elvis. Imagine living in a world where the standard bearer for white male performers is Perry Como, and along comes Elvis. He'd have blown your mind.

I guess now you'll tell me you don't know who Perry Como is. Go find out, hold him up against Elvis, and then reconsider the question.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

I've heard of Perry Como. A legend like Sinatra, right? I stand to be corrected. :D

I was watching Justin Timberlake's 'Back to Memphis' show on TV. He's extremely talented, has mastered the 'black arts' so to speak. He's a huge phenomenon in this day and age. This must have been the same for Elvis at the time. ;)

Justin is today's Elvis, just alot more talented I think. :)

You're smoking too much ganja, TShakazBlackRoots![/ QUOTE]

Jeremy C, I wish, I wish! :mad: No ganja here. Make that assertion when I go back home in a month's time. I'll then fully agree with you (to a point). ;)

I think Pharell Williams of the Neptunes produces some good stuff for Justin. Don't you think The Neptunes are putting The Funk back into the proceedings? :cool:

Don't you think The Neptunes are putting The Funk back into the proceedings?

Nothing Prince didn't do 20 years ago. :)

And compare Justin w/ early 80's performances of Michael Jackson. You'll see more than a slight influence. ;)

Ah, nice marmot.

Originally posted by Scoot:

Don't you think The Neptunes are putting The Funk back into the proceedings?

Nothing Prince didn't do 20 years ago. :)

And compare Justin w/ early 80's performances of Michael Jackson. You'll see more than a slight influence. ;)

Ain't that the truth! :thu:

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Gosh all this fuss about a fat hillbilly who died on the crapper... I love Elvis. He had some kick-ass bands, he had some great songwriters. My first dance with my wife at our wedding was an Elvis song.

HaHaHaHaHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hillarious!!

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

I've heard of Perry Como. A legend like Sinatra, right? I stand to be corrected. :D

Corrected.

Sinatra (from lovely Hoboken, NJ, which is also the home of the invention of baseball) had a great voice and a greater ear for talent. He also knew how to swing.

Como is rather stiff. There's no swing in "How Much for that Doggy in the Window."

Sinatra definitely was a singer. He had to use persuasive tactics to break in to Hollywood. But he made his mark initially as a singer and to many he will always be mainly that.

As a singer he was a phenomenon like Elvis and The Beatles with young girls screaming and swooning. He was also a jazz singer and had a great sense of time. Miles Davis said he admired Frank Sinatra's phrasing; his sense of time placement of the melody - behind the beat. He said the same thing later about Willie Nelson.

Sinatra was admired universally, regardless of race. Perry Como on the other hand was pretty bland. Unfair to compare the two. No comparison. Sinatra was hip. Perry Como was anything but.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Sinatra was the coolest of the cool, no doubt about it, in addition to being one of the greatest vocalists around. He was also one hell of an actor; check out The Man With The Golden Arm (Oscar nomination) or The Manchurian Candidate.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Miles Davis said he admired Frank Sinatra's phrasing; his sense of time placement of the melody - behind the beat. He said the same thing later about Willie Nelson.

OT

Thanks for the bit Henry,

I just downloaded a tune from Miles called Willie Nelson-Take 4. Its from the complete Jack Johnson sessions. I didn't know Miles was a fan of Willie.

So am I. I just love Teatro - He's playing better than ever. Can't wait to see him at Bonnaroo this year. Too bad Miles isn't around cause he'd probably be there, what an open mind.

OK you guys finish unburying Elvis. :P

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

That's not an excuse! You're older than I am I believe.
An excuse? No Getz. No excuses. As for the age thing, let's not go there. I am ageless. ;)

Sinatra's celebrity didn't reach us in Africa. That's why sometimes when you hear that 'so and so is the biggest artist in the world', it usually means in America, Europe and Japan! Not really global. :mad:

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

Sinatra definitely was a singer. He had to use persuasive tactics to break in to Hollywood. But he made his mark initially as a singer and to many he will always be mainly that.

As a singer he was a phenomenon like Elvis and The Beatles with young girls screaming and swooning. He was also a jazz singer and had a great sense of time. Miles Davis said he admired Frank Sinatra's phrasing; his sense of time placement of the melody - behind the beat. He said the same thing later about Willie Nelson.

Sinatra was admired universally, regardless of race. Perry Como on the other hand was pretty bland. Unfair to compare the two. No comparison. Sinatra was hip. Perry Como was anything but.

The Chairman friggin ruled. His boxed set is a must have.

Archived