Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Use of Mixer for Bass Rig?

mound

I'm curious how many of you use a small mixer/desk as a part of your bass rig? I know Steve Lawson does, feel free to chime in here Steve (though you pretty much covered it in the Solo Bass thread)

Creative use of a mixer in the bass rig... Ideas? Thoughts? Just wonderin'

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The routing/mixing facilities in two (Peavey TransTubeFEX, Roland V-Bass) of three of the preamps/multieffects units I've used were a large part of the reason I purchased them. Having treadle pedal or other devices control over any parameters just makes the mixing or layering of signals all the more powerful.

I use one similar to this:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/63/631238.jpg

only about $50

On my little rig, I take the line out of my Ampeg BA112 and run it to the mixer, then to the Peavey DPC 1000 power amp and on to the Avatar. Gives you tons of control ovewr your sound.

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/lilb.jpg

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Victor Wooten uses an Alesis rackmount mixer. I have a bit of interest in the Rolls Hexmix for my sax, in the event I ever have to supply my own reverb. It would be a handy size for a bass rig too, but a bit pricier than desktops.

Lug, is that an Acoustic 402 in your picture, with the wheels in the air?

- Matt W.

Originally posted by Matt W:

Lug, is that an Acoustic 402 in your picture, with the wheels in the air?

wow, you're old, too. :D

Originally posted by Matt W:

I own one, powered by an Acoustic 140 head. And I am 4 years older than the rig. :thu:

Ok, you're a youngster. :D I used an Acoustic 220 head for years and year. Preamp section finally gave up the ghost, but the power amp still works today (in case I'm looking for about 5% THD at full output) ;)

I have an Acoustic 2x15 cab. Blew up the speakers long ago. Been thinking of replacing them and putting the 'ol girl back in service.

Back on topic, I have toyed with the small mixer idea from time to time. May actually try it one day.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I haven't seen the need for a mixer yet, but it's coming. Our new sax/harp player plays bass (and guitar - he's a music teacher). And he likes to use his own bass. I could see us putting our instruments into a simple mixer like that Behringer to avoid grief when we switch places.

My son runs a Korg X5D, acoustic guitar, and Yamaha Silent French Horn pickup through one of those - it then gets mixed with sound from his computer to feed either headphones or his stereo.

I used to play an Acoustic 136 (not their best product from a sound standpoint, but it was loud). You can see me sitting on it at UglyBassPlayer (hey forceman - was that a UBP hat I saw you wearing?).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

You can see me sitting on it at UglyBassPlayer (hey forceman - was that a UBP hat I saw you wearing?).

Tom

Simular--it is a bass cleff hat purchased at the Cleveland Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I have a t-shirt just like it. I think the only difference is mine says "Cleveland" on the back (impressed the hell out of me! :freak: )

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I'm currently using almost exaclty like what LUG showed in his post - only it's got 2 more channels. I'm not using it to mix instruments however, I plug my bass into the front of my lexicon mpx-g2 effects processor, the stereo output of which goes into the stereo channel on the mixer, and then my JamMan (looper) and potentially any other external hardware are put on the auxilary buss, so as to allow me to mix the level of the loop and or effect with my clean signal.. (but I'm always changing it up, various configurations of the above.)

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

Archived