Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Solid, overlooked bassists

Rik

I was wandering around in the drum forum, and I spotted these threads:

Ringo:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001455

Phil Rudd:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001446

Drummers who, while not flashy or extremely technical, got the job done and got it done right. Drummers who are dismissed by ignorant people.

What about similar bassists who are not noted for their chops, but who perform an essential function in defining their band's sound?

I'm going to mention Ian Hill, of Judas Priest. When JP is mentioned, everyone immediately thinks of Rob Halford's vocal histrionics, Glenn Tipton's technical, melodic solos & K.K Downing's whammy bar and feedback calisthenics. Nobody ever mentions Ian Hill. Heck, the guy just stands way in the back and plays straight 8th notes. With a pick.

But I say, would Judas Priest have defined heavy metal without Hill's 8th notes? Like Ringo's and Rudd's drumming, Hill's bass playing was always exactly what was needed for the song. And the guy does have chops - just listen to Priest's early albums, when they were more of a bluesy hard rock band. He wasn't a root-whacker back then, and while still not flashy, he could come up with some really tasty licks. I love his work on the ballads Dreamer Deciver and Beyond The Realms of Death. And he played fingerstyle. But when the band's music moved into the style for which it's best known, Hill took up a pick and started banging out the 8th notes, in order to serve the songs.

Hill's understanding of pedal tones provides a driving edge that isn't heard in many other metal bands. I think that was one of the first things I noticed about his playing. While Glenn and K.K. are changing chords and moving the riffs around, Ian is back there hammering on one note, setting up all the tension & release that is so prevalent in Priest's music. For example, bridge section of Breaking The Law. Hill lays down a foundation with a steady 8th note pattern on a "D", while the guitarists are moving from D to G to C and back to D.

Any other thoughts on Ian Hill? How about other bassists who served their bands in a similar manner?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right on the money about Ian. Yep, he's one of the many reasons I grab a pick sometimes, though I'm starting to gain some stamina doing runs like his with the digits. A relatively low action helps if you do it that way, so the amp can do some of the work for you.

Hill's style does serve the music well. I'd say the same for Steve Harris of Iron Maiden. His galloping fingerstyle runs also helped define metal bass. Steve's fills are tasty, too, as it acts as a call-and-response to the guitars' rhythm attack, as well as locking to the drums at certain points. "Run to the Hills" and "Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" come to mind for me.

John Deacon of Queen. There were so many people playing very technically edgy stuff while Queen was in it's heyday, but John Deacon was like a rock in holding those grooves together. He is VERY overlooked in my opinion.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I'm rackin' my brain.

This here forum is populated by guys who know virtually all solid basses there are, and bang their virtual drum to announce it.

Trouble is, every bassist in recorded music is solid, or they'd never make it to vinyl (plastic?)

Lessee....Mike Rutherford of Genesis? He held up to Phil Collins drumming pretty well.

Even Harry Shearer has proven to be a solid bassist.

Even Penn Jillette has proved to be solid (right Adrian?)

Want more? Check out this thread.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by 73 P Bass:

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

Even Harry Shearer has proven to be a solid bassist.

Ah yes, Sir Derek Smalls!
He played decent upright, too, in "A Mighty Wind" if you get the DVD, the entire concert is on a bonus disc.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by Edendude:

How about Stevie Ray's Tommy Shannon?

And don't forget the work Mr. Shannon did with Johnny Winter, wayyy before SRV came along... :D

How about the late great Carl Radle (Derek and the Dominoes, Joe Cocker).

And it came up on the guitar forum when we were discussing the late great Terry Kath, that that bastion of syrupy ballads himself, Peter Cetera, was a very handy bassman in the early days of Chicago.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Besides the bassists already mentioned. I think Pino Palladino didn't get the props he deserved until recently. Theres many an unsung upright player who do

not get the props they deserve in this day and age of the electric bass.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

This is one of those threads where eventually every bass player in every famous band will be listed.

It would actually be unusual for a band to be successful without a solid bass player.

How about listing people who haven't been recorded? Someone in your town who knocks you out and is deserving wider recognition?

Originally posted by jeremyc:

This is one of those threads where eventually every bass player in every famous band will be listed.

It would actually be unusual for a band to be successful without a solid bass player.

How about listing people who haven't been recorded? Someone in your town who knocks you out and is deserving wider recognition?

Good point, Jeremy. And then along come the inevitable "I can't believe" posts...the "I can't believe no one's mentioned Joe Doaks from the Flaming Habanero Buttholes" yada yada yada... :)

Don't know his name, but the guy who plays the Blayney's Jam on Wednesday nights with "Cobalt Project" is a good solid bass player. Tom Capasso's heard him. Hey, for that matter, I'll nominate Tom!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Sam Cockrell of Sam Cockrell and the Groove. Awesome bassist with a really nice voice. He sounds a lot like Robert Cray. They were the house band for the Cubby Bear. I'm wondering if any of the Chicago LowDowners have seen him?

Good idea Jeremyc. Here in Carbondale, IL- population approaching 20,000, there is a guy named Jim Wall who can play it all, 4,5, or 6 string electric and upright. Rock, blues, country, jazz, bluegrass, you name it, he can play it with taste. Never get tired of hearing him. Another fellow name of Geoff Maring plays upright in a (red-hot) family bluegrass band. They got a gig at the Station Inn in Nashville. Enough said. A lot of young chop meisters don't seem to take country or bluegrass seriously because the playing isn't all that flashy and there aren't a lot of notes.

www.ethertonswitch.com

Dennis Bovell (Dennis Bovell Dub band) and a Jamaican guy called Michael Washington Fletcher (plays for Shaggy these days as musical director).

Superb tone and ability not only in Reggae, but Jazz and Soul too.

Originally posted by bassplayer5217:

Not surprised that no one has mentioned him, but consider the bassist for Jamiroquai. On their album Travelling Without Moving, he uses a wide-range of styles and techniques very well.

- Germain

Surely Jariroquai's bass player (Zender or the newie) can't be included in the "solid overlooked" category? The bass in J's music plays a bigger role than just supplying bottom end!

Erm... what I was kind of looking for were bassists who, like Ian Hill, are not noted for their technical brilliance. Like the comments in the Ringo and Phil Rudd threads. Bassists who play bare minimum, rudimentary lines that provide exactly what their band's songs need. Bassist who get the job done brilliantly by playing one-note lines. Like Ian Hill ;)

I'll go with Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello and Danny Faragher: three men who aren't Bruce Thomas who have played some very tasty bass on Elvis Costello records.
For sale: 1992 or 1993 Carvin LB20F fretless 4-string with lines. Black with black hardware. Good player, fair amount of wear. $250 shipped.

Don't believe him? I refer you to this thread:

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Surely there is not a page 6?! Oh, but there is!

That said, I gotta agree that Joe Doaks was definitely da man. Still, I think down deep we all know that it's really all about Geezer.

Archived