Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Solid, overlooked bassists

Rik

solid and overlooked, eh?

How about a guy called Ewen Vernal from 80's pop-sters Deacon Blue?

Solid, pertinant, and able to pull off some smart-ass shit when he feels like it (some slapping and playing the strings with the inside of his wrist (v painful!) on the track "Circus Lights")

His lines are never spectacular, but always pertinant, melodic, memorable.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lately Jefferson Airplane's Jack Cassidy's been getting some attentions (rightly so); but you never hear about Pete Sears from Jefferson Starship. In the late 70's and early 80's I thought he was a standout bassist(not to mention his keyboard playing, too). Not just a root player, but definitely solid and under-appreciated.

Man, now I've either got to get my turntable fixed, or buy some JS on cd...

And Anthony Sallee from White Heart (now with Michael W. Smith). He knows when to just pound out the beat, and when to move aound.

As for locals, Tim Saunders I think from Under Command; keeps things steady while guitarist Wayne Johnson shreds like Heaven! www.undercommand.com

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Man I was dying for a reason to bring up Ian Hill.

But, just to be different. Even though it's not my choice of music I have to bring up 1 guy I don't think anyone would mention (therefore unsung). The bass player for The Spin Doctors. Or more specificly he and the drummer. They really locked in well. I don't remember his name but he was often known to play wearing gloves and had a wammy bar on his bass.

Call it a guilty pleasure.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I saw SPEARHEAD last night. just an awesome performance. Im not sure of the bassists name, but he sure got his job done. So understated the entire time, but he kept everything grooving. Minimal notes, but the rythym he kicked out was awesome, crazy synco's I never woulda thought of.
less is more

Archived